Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 8:48am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riding afternoons downtown next week (Read 1742 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Riding afternoons downtown next week
Dec 15th, 2007, 12:06am

I've got loads of vacation left and will probably be taking off 1/2 day every day next week.  If anyone's interested in taking off down the Trinity Trail from downtown some afternoon (except maybe not Wednesday), let me know and I'll bring my bike with me to the office.  I can probably talk Charlie into joining us.  Weather forecast is at least tolerable at this point.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Re: Riding afternoons downtown next week
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2007, 7:19am

It's possible I could see y'all out on the trail.  I work on the east side of downtown @ 4th St. and I-35, the big Purina plant.  I keep the bike in my office most of the time and hit the TT when I can.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2007, 3:15pm

Right now looking like I'll be out about 1:00 on Tuesday, Thursday and Maybe Friday.  I'll be meeting up at the trail at the north end of Taylor St. and heading west from there.  Distance unknown - suppose till I get tired or hungry, but probably out a couple of hours.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007, 5:09pm

I didn't hit the trail till 3:30 today.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007, 8:32pm

I ended up coming home and riding with Charlie this afternoon.  I will be on the trail for sure tomorrow at 11:30 and either Thursday or Friday, maybe both.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2007, 11:33am

I might can swing tomorrow.  I'll possibly be taking half day Thursday and all day Friday off.  Depends on what 'the Man' sez.  I'll be out on the trail today about 3 to 3:30, somewhere in there.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2007, 3:25pm

Alright, I'm cleared to take off tomorrow and Friday.  I can meet upon the trail at the north end of Taylor.  I'll be hopping on the trail where 4th street crosses over the trail just east of I-35W, a couple of minutes after 11.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2007, 3:48pm

I had my all-time worst bike wreck in the circle at the end of Taylor today.  Rocketing down the hill too fast, and even though I started braking very early, the wheels lost traction on some slick pavement and I skidded into the curb in the middle of the circle.  The area inside the circle is mostly cactus and I went pretty much head first into all that.  Lots of small puncture wounds on the left side of my face, badly bruised knee that must have hit the curb and puncture wounds on my front lower right leg that are spaced out like they must have been caused by the big chainring.  My computer was broken off as was my helmet mounted mirror, but both look repairable with some super glue.  Considering how fast I was going I got off pretty light.  No damage to the bike itself except for a cactus spine through my seat bag!  As you may have gathered, with this my all-time worst wreck, I have fortunately not been involved in very many serious crashes!
Assuming my knee is OK (and it seems to be doing OK after icing it), I'll be there tomorrow at 11:30.  I'm planning on heading out to Lake Benbrook.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2007, 4:55pm

Robert,

Man that sounds nasty! Hope you don't have any lasting problems. Crashing at speed is scary enough but flying into cactus...man thats Steven King or something! Really do hope all is well. Merry Christmas!

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2007, 12:19am

Quote from robert.j on Dec 19th, 2007, 3:48pm:
the wheels lost traction on some slick pavement and I skidded into the curb in the middle of the circle.  The area inside the circle is mostly cactus and I went pretty much head first into all that.  Lots of small puncture wounds on the left side of my face,

Like our moms would probably say, "You boys be careful or you'll put an eye out!"  

Glad you're OK.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2007, 8:09am

All seems OK today.  A little soreness here and there, most serious being the bruised knee, but nothing to keep me off the bike this afternoon.  If anyone wants to join me, 11:30 at the circle at the north end of Taylor St.  
Watch out for the cactus!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2007, 9:21am

As mentioned above, I'll be there right about 11:30, arriving from the east on the TT.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print