Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow riding (Read 566 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Slow riding
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:49am

From the Recumbent Blog:

December 09, 2007
Slow Rides
"The only thing for certain is that everything changes. The rate of change increases. If you want to hang on you better speed up. That is the message of today. It could however be useful to remind everyone that our basic needs never change. The need to be seen and appreciated! The need to belong. The need for nearness and care, and for a little love! This is given only through slowness in human relations. In order to master changes, we have to recover slowness, reflection and togetherness. There we will find real renewal." ~Guttorm Fløistad

The Slow Food movement, and other associated Slow initiatives, aim to combat "time poverty", and other ills brought on by our increasingly hectic "fast food" culture, by promoting simpler, slower-paced, self-sustaining lifestyle alternatives. We're not participating members of any Slow organization, but we're all for the ideas of slowing down, keeping it simple, and taking time to smell the roses.

One way we do this is with what we call a Slow Ride. A Slow Ride is much like any other bike ride, but with its priorities on straight. On a Slow Ride, we set a purposely slower than normal pace, possibly stop to shoot some photos and/or observe the local flora and fauna, work in an errand if need be, and maybe even take the time to enjoy a picnic (gasp!). A Slow Ride is directed more by the pace and enjoyment of the associated activities and less by the concerns of Serious Cycling. Taking a Slow Ride doesn't necessarily mean we'll negate getting a workout, it's just that the focus is more on the overall experience and less on performance. As a matter of fact, often times when we take a Slow Ride we'll end up out-and-about and on the bike much longer than if we set out to cover a specific distance and "log some miles". A Slow Ride is considered successful if we catch a glimpse of a wild animal, or the angle of the light is just right to capture a particularly beautiful photo. The success of a Slow Ride is not predicated upon besting our elapsed time over a measured route or passing a roadie in team kit.

We find these Slow Rides to be wonderfully calming and restorative; they very effectively peel away the layers of stress accumulated over the work week. So if you're feeling a little burned out at this particularly hectic time of year, you might try slowing down a little and taking a Slow Ride with a good friend; you might be surprised at what a change of pace can do for you.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Slow riding
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007, 11:38am

Good stuff! In fact, it was so good, I would have re-read it, but

wait for it

I didn't have time!

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2007, 11:40am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007, 3:13pm

When you're as old as I am, there not enough time left to spend a lot of time going "slow!" Cheesy

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007, 6:49pm

I read this too and it jives perfectly with where I've gotten too with my riding.  I really enjoyed my slow ride to Aubrey this last weekend, and stopping to take pictures etc.  I plan a lot of longer solo/small group rides that are for nothing but my enjoyment next year.  I'm planning on making a bunch of RUSA permanents and pre-riding them, and not worrying about getting mileage or series or awards or competing (except forthe social fun of the Tejas 500 and the HCTT's).  I punted on trying to get to 5K RUSA kilometers, just wasn't worth the stress or stress I was inducing into the home life.  Not having to drive to riding events, and getting to leave at any time I want, (3AM no problemo!).

along those lines I'm planning something of century length this Saturday that will either pre-ride or least hit most of the controls on another new route.  Probably leaving early before dawn, but anybody is welcome to join me, leaving from the 7-eleven at Independence and McDermott.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2007, 7:35pm

I know what you mean, Nelson. For many of the years I was into tournament bass fishing, I loved the awards, but I haven't gotten into the randonneuring awards at all.

I can't decide what to try and ride this weekend. The forecast is just awful.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print