Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White Rock Advice? (Read 1155 times)
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

White Rock Advice?
Dec 5th, 2007, 5:34pm

Hi, folks.  My wife is running the White Rock Marathon this weekend, so I thought I might go over there either tomorrow (Thursday) or the next day and ride around the place, because I've never been there.  I'll be looking for places to wait for her to pass by, and to figure out parking.  I think I'll combine that with a bike ride.  I'll be driving over from the Southlake/Grapevine area.  I plan to take 635 around to somewhere not too far from White Rock Lake.

Looking at Virtual Earth, it looks like I could take the Hillcrest exit from 635, and go south on Park Central.  Just after I get onto Park Central, it looks like there is a small parking lot on the right, which borders a bike path.  If I take that path southbound, it looks like I would follow along near Park Central, cross Forest Lane, go under 75, along Royal, under Skillman, under Loop 12, on Lawther, then into the trail around the Lake.

For those of you familiar with all of this, does it sound like a good ride?  Is it safe (from muggers and/or traffic)?  Is the trail open all the way?  Or should I just drive all the way to the lake, and make a couple of loops there and then drive back home?  If I do the whole ride out and back, any idea how far that would be?  I'm looking to do about 20 to 30 miles, nothing farther because my wife will be with me and she wants to save her legs for the race.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: White Rock Advice?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2007, 7:35pm

Say, Steve-O...  why don't you be a volunteer at the same time, and join me in handing out Clif Shot gels to the runners at the 19 mile point?   I'm leading some of the GDB gang down the trail from the Schlotzky's at Forest and 75, 8AM departure, to go to the south end of the lake to do the job...

Call me
214 923 9551

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2007, 9:27pm

I think you are talking about Anderson Bonner Park.
I rode that route this morning.  It is 7 miles to the lake - ten miles around the lake.
Good riding.
JohnS

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2007, 2:33pm

Here's a map -- but I stopped drawing once you get back to the top of the lake at Mockingbird.  From there you continue north under Mockingbird, cross Northwest Highway, and catch the trail northbound again for the remaining 7 miles.

NOTE:  After you go underneath Abrams and through the semi-tunnel, be sure to take the LEFT FORK of the path, back past the Tennis Center.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/White-Rock-Trail-and-Lake

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2007, 2:38pm

By the way -- there is construction/destruction on the west side of the lake for the last two miles.  The left lane of Lawther is now "northbound only" car traffic, and the right lane is two-way split for non-drivers.  So be careful!!!

Also -- once you cross UNDER Mockingbird southbound -- about 100 yards later, there is a paved path that heads east, into the trees past the parking lot.  THIS is the path you take to reach the footbridge that takes you over to the east side of the lake.  This was their answer to traffic on Mockingbird...

My map is drawn that way, such that you are circing the lake "clockwise"...

bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2007, 5:24pm

Thanks, Paul.  We plan to do the ride tomorrow (Friday) starting about noon or maybe 12:30, if anybody wants to join us.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2007, 7:09pm

Wow, is it that soon?  I ran it last year - it doesn't seem like it was that long ago....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2007, 10:22pm

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 6th, 2007, 7:09pm:
Wow, is it that soon?  I ran it last year - it doesn't seem like it was that long ago....

Yep.  The race is Sunday.  I just heard on the news though, that the temps will be dropping all day Sunday.  Hey Paul, you might want to bring a jacket for the ride back up the trail.  It will be warm in the morning, then turn colder when the front comes through.  According to David Finfrock, anyway...

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2007, 12:32am

Over on the Bikeforums Texas section, somebody says that the trail is closed north of 635 due to construction.  Is that true?  If so, I'll just go down Park Central to the first parking lot I see, and start riding from there.

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2007, 12:33am by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2007, 1:32pm

No, it opened back up a couple weeks ago

PB

bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2007, 3:40pm

Thanks, Paul.  Just got home from the ride and we really enjoyed it.  

There is a sign up at the parking lot off of Hillcrest that says, "Closed to Bicycles," or something like that.  Everybody just ignores it and rides anyway.  The trail is open, but I guess they just haven't taken down the sign yet.

That ride is pretty fun!  Thanks for all the advice everybody.  If it hadn't been for Rbent, I would probably never have heard of it.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print