Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:50am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet (Read 5021 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet
Reply #30 - Dec 5th, 2007, 7:42pm

Just a quick note about cassettes, there are 2 versions of SRAM's 11-34 cassette, a road version that has most of its 9 cogs in the upper end (up to the 11 tooth cog) and has much bigger gaps in the lower end of the cassette. The MTB cassette has the gaps between the cogs even from the 11 all the way to the 34 tooth cog. I have heard on other fora that most 'bent pilots prefer the MTB version as we use the whole range all the time instead of the typical road rider using the cassette in combination with a compact crank to get triple range without having to carry the extra chainring and the less reliable triple front derailler (just paraphrasing what others have said, my triple derailler works just like my old double derailler).

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #31 - Dec 5th, 2007, 9:02pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Dec 5th, 2007, 7:42pm:
Just a quick note about cassettes, there are 2 versions of SRAM's 11-34 cassette, a road version that has most of its 9 cogs in the upper end (up to the 11 tooth cog) and has much bigger gaps in the lower end of the cassette. The MTB cassette has the gaps between the cogs even from the 11 all the way to the 34 tooth cog.

After believing that myself, the last bit of research I did seemed to disprove it. Cassettes that were 2006 or older had the bigger gaps in the big gears; 2007 cassettes were more evenly spaced.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2007, 9:03pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2007, 4:17pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Dec 5th, 2007, 9:02pm:
Quote from Opus the Poet on Dec 5th, 2007, 7:42pm:
Just a quick note about cassettes, there are 2 versions of SRAM's 11-34 cassette, a road version that has most of its 9 cogs in the upper end (up to the 11 tooth cog) and has much bigger gaps in the lower end of the cassette. The MTB cassette has the gaps between the cogs even from the 11 all the way to the 34 tooth cog.

After believing that myself, the last bit of research I did seemed to disprove it. Cassettes that were 2006 or older had the bigger gaps in the big gears; 2007 cassettes were more evenly spaced.

Good to know because I'm taking my Strada over to PCF tomorrow to have the cassette replaced(3,600+ miles) & have the cables checked,cranks changed(maybe??),etc...

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2007, 8:20pm

I actually liked the old setup better. Most of the gears were more similar to road cassettes, a small jump between gears, with just a couple of big gears which I would only use on big climbs. With the new cassettes, the more even spacing all the way to the big gears means there's a bigger jump between all the gears.

I tried ordering Sram PG970 cassettes in the old style online twice. Both times, I received the new style. Both the online store and ebay seller had 2006 photos showing, but actually sent me the 2007 cassettes.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #34 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:44pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Dec 6th, 2007, 8:20pm:
I actually liked the old setup better. Most of the gears were more similar to road cassettes, a small jump between gears, with just a couple of big gears which I would only use on big climbs. With the new cassettes, the more even spacing all the way to the big gears means there's a bigger jump between all the gears.

I tried ordering Sram PG970 cassettes in the old style online twice. Both times, I received the new style. Both the online store and ebay seller had 2006 photos showing, but actually sent me the 2007 cassettes.

I had a new cassette installed. PCF bike tech said there was some pretty good wear on the teeth(none bent like Peggy's. I could have gotten another 500 miles out of the current cassette,but since the bike was already there...). Bud,I did have a rear derailer cable that was corroded. New cable ,brake checked & cables lubed & everything is good. I too went with the Shimano Ultegra 12-27 cassette.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #35 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:11pm

Quote from Strada177 on Dec 7th, 2007, 6:44pm:
I had a new cassette installed. PCF bike tech said there was some pretty good wear on the teeth(none bent like Peggy's. I could have gotten another 500 miles out of the current cassette,but since the bike was already there...). Bud,I did have a rear derailer cable that was corroded. New cable ,brake checked & cables lubed & everything is good. I too went with the Shimano Ultegra 12-27 cassette.

My cable broke on the shifter end, all the way up in the little metal piece that's on the end of the cable. I was going to ask Mark Metcalfe how often he replaces his cables, but I never saw him on the dam this week.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #36 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:58pm

The cable broke at the shifter end? Is that location for a cable break pretty unusual?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #37 - Dec 7th, 2007, 9:11pm

Quote from Strada177 on Dec 7th, 2007, 8:58pm:
The cable broke at the shifter end? Is that location for a cable break pretty unusual?

No, that's the end the pulling is being done on, and it's feeling all the friction all the way to the other end. The first cable housing at the shifter end of mine was tight on the end. A bit of prying in the end of the cable housing with a small allen wrench made the new cable slide easier. That tight spot probably sped up wear on the old cable.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #38 - Dec 7th, 2007, 9:33pm

It seems its always an end with mine, usually the end that broke on Bud's, near the shifter, but I've seen them break at the end near the crimp on the derailleur as well.  They are small so I always carry a spare now, just change them when they break (which isn't very often), need to pick up a spare brake cable though, as I stole my spare a while back for some project. I know about the derailleur set screw trick from having done it myself in the past (I didn't carry no spares in the eighties, that would've weighed me down!)  Funny how much I cared about bike weight when I myself weighed about a bike and half less than I do know!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print