Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:52am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet (Read 5024 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 5:01pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:12pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:09pm:

Bud,we just got back from PCF,Peggy had bent 1 or 2 cogs on her cassette. So the SRAM cassette was replaced with a Shimano cassette(she went from mountain bike to road bike cassette). The cables,chain(no wear to speak of),& chain ring were all in good shape. Good as new.

Glad you got it found and fixed. Is she going to have big enough climbing gears with that road cassette?

On second thought, the way she climbs, it probably doesn't matter.

Bud,according to the bike tech at PCF, she should be fine.  Grin
Grin. The only thing she would be giving up is 1 small "granny gear"  & as you know, the Petty's don't know how to use that "granny gear"(look where I'm at,I haven't ridden in a month. Do you think I will ever figure it out? I'm slow on the uptake sometimes). Spin? What the hell is that? Mash! Mash! Mash!

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:59pm by Bud_Bent »  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 6:30pm

Peggy I'm certain it will be easy to fix, if it isn't already.  After all the route owner was on the ride with us, so we shouldn't have any issues.
Boy bending cogs!  Pretty sure I haven't ever had that problem!  What size cassette did you put on there.  After the 600K I came home and switched out the 12-28 that was on the Corsa stock for my MTB 11-34.  Had to switch the longer cage derailleur over as well.  That gave me a 34/34 low which is nice at the end of a long ride with a big climb like Cherry Pie Hill.  I got pretty lucky with the Tour Easy mechanically.  Found I had a splitting sidewall on the rear tire that was on there.  I had already ordered some replacements (Schwalbe Kojaks) but they probably won't be in for another week or so.  Tried a 700x38C old commuter tire I had in the garage to get to work this morning, but its really too wide with the fender, and by the trip home it was rubbing pretty badly.  I have a 700x28C that I guess I'll temporarily put on there tonight.  

Greg glad to see the 11 joke!  was thinking about that one earlier!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 6:50pm

Nelson, Peggy's new cassette is a 12-27 Shimano Ultegra.  I believe the stock Strada cassette is a SRAM 11-23. Which I was told is more of a mountain bike set-up. For those who don't know(like me),what's the difference between a road bike cassette & a mountain bike cassette? What would the adnvantages/disadvantages be between the two?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:08pm

Hi Steve,

The only real difference besides cosmetics/marketing is the range.  MTB tends to be wider, whereas road cassettes tend to be more tightly spaced.  Sounds like you went in the right direction for randoneuring, never hurts to have a nice low gear.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:48pm

Quote from Mrs Strada on Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:49pm:
What a day, What a great day!!!!!!
Peggy

Yes, it was a great day. Heading home, as soon as I turned my truck onto SH 380, I spotted a convenience store Subway, and I knew I had found my gourmet dinner. I took my sandwich and headed straight home, and by shortly after 10:00, I was a goner.

My legs were actually sore yesterday and today. That's the first time I've had that in a while. The slow cadence climbing probably had something to do with that. But, at least my knees feel fine. I stayed right beside Rose on today's ride, 17.0 miles at a 13.5 mph average, the kind of recovery ride I was in the mood for.

I think the challenge is part of the allure of these long rides. You just know they're going to be a grand adventure, and this one didn't disappoint! We survived, so we are stronger. If we just wanted exercise, we'd spend our time at the gym. For those who favor an outdoor adventure instead, these randonneuring rides are highly recommended.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:49pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2007, 9:31am

Wait a minnit... Peggy BENT CASSETTE COGS??????   Even I've never done that -- Good lord, somebody tell John Schlitter...   Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2007, 12:53pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 4th, 2007, 9:31am:
Wait a minnit... Peggy BENT CASSETTE COGS?????? Even I've never done that -- Good lord, somebody tell John Schlitter... Grin

In a word..."Yes". One cog on the cassette was bent.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2007, 9:47pm

Peggy,

Exactly what brand of Wheaties are you eating?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2007, 10:08pm

I *TOLD* you buttheads she was a monster MONTHS ago.  It's why I ranted and cajoled until she did the Tejas 500.  I recognized it the first time I rode with her.

Too bad they don't allow bents in the UCI - she'd be a CAT 1 or 2 rider easily.  peggy you've GOT to come do the horse country TT with me next May.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2007, 11:07pm

Thanks for all that  embarrassed[.I'm just learning how to ride and making mistakes along the way. No Wheaties for me banana sandwich on raisin bread.  
 Greg sound like a new challenge to me Grin. I'm willing to try it. Is it a speed event or endurance event? How do we train for it.  
                                                              Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #25 - Dec 5th, 2007, 5:57am

Remeber guys (sorry Steve), Mrs. Strada has already signed a letter of intent for next year's TTTT.  

I had a great time on this Perm.  I rode with Steve until I had to stop to water the weeds about 5 miles before the first control.  I then rode with Nelson and George the rest of the day.  Even though I agree it was very windy and challenging, my stats don't show it.  My average heart rate was something in the 115 range. I commented to my wife when I got home that I felt like I hadn't even ridden 200k.  This was the strongest physically I've felt after a 200k, even though it was a challenging route.  90% rollers; nothing steep or long, but constant.

Nelson, ride your Corsa on our next Perm or Brevt so we can do a sub 8 hour.  Keep the Kogswell hanging in your bedroom as a piece of 'defacto art'.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #26 - Dec 5th, 2007, 10:57am

Hi Ray,

I'm not sure the engine is good for any turn of speed this month.
But I have the route I'm going to submit for those who want to set a best.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Personel-Best-203K

Its going to be a reversible 203K permanent with controls at each end.  Mostly E-W.  There is a steady rise in elevation from the E-W, so I'm expecting the E-W will likely be the fastest direction (downhill on the way back, more likely to have slight tailwind).  I have the cue built.  Gotta do the card, and I'd like to submit it soon. There are stores along the way I'll note, but since its almost dead straight, I'm going to try to only have the 2 end point controls.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #27 - Dec 5th, 2007, 11:00am

Sorry W-E will be the fastest leg, but starting E-W to have the fastest leg second when you're more tired.

Hijacking my own thread by the way, for a discussion of the route.  Any feedback is appreciated.  Need to find out the Forestburg Country Store hours, and the Kwik Check in Van Alstyne (which is also a McDonald's I think).

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2007, 11:54am

Quote from Kwijybow on Dec 5th, 2007, 11:00am:
Sorry W-E will be the fastest leg, but starting E-W to have the fastest leg second when you're more tired.

Hijacking my own thread by the way, for a discussion of the route. Any feedback is appreciated. Need to find out the Forestburg Country Store hours, and the Kwik Check in Van Alstyne (which is also a McDonald's I think).

Take Care,
Nelson.

It would be fun to pick a day when a front was coming in and ride the west to east half, southwest wind, then west wind, then northwest wind. You'd be flying!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2007, 12:34pm

Quote from bikerteam on Dec 5th, 2007, 5:57am:
Remeber guys (sorry Steve), Mrs. Strada has already signed a letter of intent for next year's TTTT.

I had a great time on this Perm. I rode with Steve until I had to stop to water the weeds about 5 miles before the first control. I then rode with Nelson and George the rest of the day. Even though I agree it was very windy and challenging, my stats don't show it. My average heart rate was something in the 115 range. I commented to my wife when I got home that I felt like I hadn't even ridden 200k. This was the strongest physically I've felt after a 200k, even though it was a challenging route. 90% rollers; nothing steep or long, but constant.

Nelson, ride your Corsa on our next Perm or Brevt so we can do a sub 8 hour. Keep the Kogswell hanging in your bedroom as a piece of 'defacto art'.

That's fine with me. As long as the Reclining flyer's will have me back,I look forward to seeing yourslef,Nelson,Peggy & (??), out on the TT course-42 hour event next year.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print