Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet (Read 5025 times)
Bud_Bent

Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet
Dec 1st, 2007, 9:04pm

These rides have a way of turning into epic adventures, and this one was no exception. There were six riders on this permanent brevet. We started the ride in Princeton, at 7:00 am. I got to riding along, talking to Peggy, and the next time I looked around, there was no one else behind us. The crosswinds were already pretty gusty, even early, but we made decent time to the first control, and before we were ready to leave, the rest of the group arrived.  

At Ladonia (which is home to one of the friendliest Deputy Sheriffs I've ever met), we turned north, and had a good tailwind the rest of the way to Honey Grove, the turnaround point. Peggy said she wasn't feeling her strongest, and I had to admit I wasn't either, so we didn't really try to fly down the road while we had the tailwind. We just pedaled a comfortable pace.

At the Honey Grove control, John Droese pulled in just a few minutes behind us, saying he would keep his stop short, and wanted to join us. John is new to LSR, but is a strong rider. Before we left, the rest of the group arrived, so they were still just a short distance behind us. By then, the winds had to be blowing 30 mph, and the 12 miles straight south back to Ladonia were brutal. That stretch isn't hilly, but it's so open it really catches the wind.

After we left the next control at mile 95, it sprinkled lightly for a few minutes, but that was all. The 6.4 mile stretch from Lane to Merit is straight against the wind, with some tough hills, and that was one of the hardest stretches I've ridden in a while. My legs were toast by the time we turned west again.

With 15 miles to go, my rear derailler shifting cable broke. This instantly clunked the chain into the 11 tooth gear. This gives you a 3 speed bike, and you ain't going to like the gears you have. The 3 gears are high, higher, and highest. It had been progressively getting darker outside, and of course it chose this time to start sprinkling again. I don't know of a quick fix for this problem (if you do, this would be a good place to post it), so, knowing the skys could open up at any minute, I decided the best approach might be to keep going, doing my best to keep enough speed to get over the hills. I can tell you that I do not recommend trying to climb a tough hill at 9 mph with a 50 cadence, especially when your legs are already fried. By picking up my speed to try and keep going, I eventually lost sight of Peggy, and of course the minute I did, she broke down.

I knew I would eventually get stopped by a hill, so John said he would go back for Peggy. Sure enough, after walking my bike up a steep hill, John and Peggy showed up, and we spent a few minutes trying to do a fix to get me in a lower gear. John pulled the cable while I pedaled to get the bike into a lower gear, then we tied the cable. It did not work. As soon as I took off, it clicked into the 11 tooth gear again. I decided to keep going. I only had to walk one more hill, but I did struggle mightily on several. The 9 mph with a 50 cadence seemed to be my limit. If I fell below that, I had to stop. But, I sat right on the 50 cadence on several hills, my legs boiling in hot oil.

After my cable troubles started, I was so intent on just getting in that I neglected to keep drinking my carb drink, and I paid the price for that. As soon as I pulled in the parking lot, I bonked, and could hardly stand. A few minutes of sitting in my truck downing sugar made me feel much better (thanks for the Herseys chocolate, Peggy), but my legs were so fried, they looked like this:  

Well, maybe they didn't look like that, but they FELT that way. I ended up finishing in ~10 hours. Mileage was 125.6. On the bike time was 8:21, for a 15.0 average. Total climbing was 3958 feet. The wind made it feel like more.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007, 9:27pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Honey Do 200K Permanent Brevet
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007, 9:41pm

Hi Bud, a quick note on the derailleur if you don't want to change the cable, use the low set screw to select the single rear cog you'd like (probably not the 11 tooth!).  Great write up, and covered the conditions very well.  I was pretty slow on the new Tour Easy, but it acquitted itself well.  I'll definitely feel the use of some different muscle groups tomorrow (this being my 3rd ride, haven't had much adaption time yet.)  Our rear group of three took an altogether more leisurely pace, stopping in Wolfe City for a non-control break as well.  We finished up in about 11:25, so quite a bit behind you speed demons.  Peggy *Awesome* ride!!  The women of LSR are truly an impressive bunch!  Also thankyou so much for the rear bag, just the ticket for the Tour Easy rear rack!  I had a great time, and it doesn't seem like Ray and I can ride a permanent where there isn't some interesting weather related event, typically +20mph winds, rain, sleet, snow, or in special cases all of them. Fortunately despite the wind temperatures were very nice today, and the rain mostly held off which was a nice bonus!  Also the dogs behaved themselves pretty well for us 3 in the back, so another plus.  Look forward to seeing you guys again soon, and thanks for joining me!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007, 10:09pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Dec 1st, 2007, 9:41pm:
Hi Bud, a quick note on the derailleur if you don't want to change the cable, use the low set screw to select the single rear cog you'd like (probably not the 11 tooth!).

Good fix idea, Nelson! That set screw probably doesn't have enough travel to get you too many teeth over, but even a few would help. A lot! I need to remember that....

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007, 10:10pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:04am

That's a good suggestion, but the screw you want to be fiddling with is the high limit screw, turning it in will push the derailler down a couple of gears if yours is anything like most of mine (and since yours and most of mine are ShimaNo they are).

Where did the cable break? The two usual places are at the derailler and at the shifter. If it broke at the shifter then you're toast (or fried as your cholesterol count dictates), but breaking at the derailler means you have some options to reinstall the cable and use as many of the gears in the cassette as you can reach. From your description yours either broke at the shifter or one of the rare in the middle breaks. Not much you can do either way.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:53am

It broke somewhere near the shifter. I haven't disassembled it yet to see exactly where.

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:54am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:36am

Yes,excellent report Bud. From a different perspective,I now know how we(cyclists) look during/after a Randonneur event to the convenience store employees & to the general public. When I pulled into the parking lot seconds after you,Peggy & John had finished,you all looked extremely beaten down(and rightfully so,that was a helluva effort in those windy conditions for 10 hours & mechanical issues).

Another "accomplishment ride",Bud! Congrats to all who finished. Peggy's bike has something rubbing in the rear derailer area. Time for a trip to PCF.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:21pm

Wow!  That was an ordeal!  I, on the other other hand, slept till noon.  Which was a good thing, since I feel much better now.  I didn't realize thgat I was still sick.  I wouldn't have amde it I don't think.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:27pm

Hey Bud, Peggy,

Congrats on making it through a tough one, also George informed me today he needs you to contact him, seems he needs the cards didn't get signed or have your address filled in.

He's at  
George Elizondo <gre099@gmail.com>

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:52pm

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:21pm:
Wow! That was an ordeal! I, on the other other hand, slept till noon. Which was a good thing, since I feel much better now. I didn't realize thgat I was still sick. I wouldn't have amde it I don't think.

Glad you're feeling better. I didn't even ride & I was up at 5:00am for taxi service.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 8:35am

I had a new shifter cable at home, so my Corsa is once again a 27 speed bike. If we thought it was windy Saturday, it's a good thing we weren't riding Sunday!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:33am

BWAHAHAHahahaaaaaaaa...   The things we do for fun......!!!!!!   Roll Eyes Shocked

Very sorry about your mechanical issues, Bud!  That had to be hell trying to do those last climbs in "11"...

Congrats on finishing, y'all!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:54pm

"This bike goes to 11!"   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:09pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Dec 3rd, 2007, 8:35am:
I had a new shifter cable at home, so my Corsa is once again a 27 speed bike. If we thought it was windy Saturday, it's a good thing we weren't riding Sunday!

Bud,we just got back from PCF,Peggy had bent 1 or 2 cogs on her cassette. So the SRAM cassette was replaced with a Shimano cassette(she went from mountain bike to road bike cassette). The cables,chain(no wear to speak of),& chain ring were all in good shape. Good as new.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:12pm

Quote from Strada177 on Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:09pm:

Bud,we just got back from PCF,Peggy had bent 1 or 2 cogs on her cassette. So the SRAM cassette was replaced with a Shimano cassette(she went from mountain bike to road bike cassette). The cables,chain(no wear to speak of),& chain ring were all in good shape. Good as new.

Glad you got it found and fixed. Is she going to have big enough climbing gears with that road cassette?  

On second thought, the way she climbs, it probably doesn't matter.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:14pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:49pm

Lesson #196 Gear down sooner so as not to bend your cogs.I have so much to learn embarrassed.Nelson thanks for hosting the ride, Ray it was nice to see you again. I enjoyed meeting George and John, very nice guys.  

Nelson, I emailed George about my card I hope it is something I can fix. I would like the ride to count.  

Bud thanks for riding with me on Saturday. I don't think I would want to ride one those long rides without  the support from the other riders.I can change a flat tire (kind of)  but that is about it when it comes to bike issues.

Saturday, I was not feeling very strong .I hope I didn't hold you back too much. This was one o f the hardest rides I've done to date lips sealed.I felt that we battled the wind no matter which way we turned. I thought that the cross wind was almost as difficult as the head wind. I had one gust of wind that blew me off the road onto the shoulder.The wind took its toll on my legs I had nothing to give towards the end.Bud ,you are on tough rider I don't know how you were able to finish under those conditions.  

Steve and I had tickets to a hockey game at 7:30 pm on Saturday, We finished the ride at 5pm. Left the parking lot at 6pm, home by 6:30. Showered and at game by 7:15 no time to eat or rest. We were sitting with some friends and I hear laughing around me so I open my eye to see that everyone is laughing at me for sleeping through the game. Our team was loosing in the second period , Steve and our friends took pity on me , and we left the game early to get something to eat.What a day, What a great day!!!!!!  
                             Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print