Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:10am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Terra Trike Cruiser or Sun EZ Tad ?? (Read 1726 times)
texasyankee

rbent member

Terra Trike Cruiser or Sun EZ Tad ??
Dec 1st, 2007, 4:17pm

I had pretty much focused in on a TT Cruiser - I had talked with the
guys at TT several times, and for my riding (25 mile rides 4 or 5 times
a month, paved trails around White Rock and such, about 13-14 average
MPH), the Cruiser seemed like a good fit for me. This morning I went to
RBM to test ride a Cruiser some more, and tried a Sun EZ
Tad they had (not sure if it was an SX or CX model). The seat on the Sun
is certainly lot more comfortable, and the ride and handling seemed
similar as far as my far-from-expert level of experience could tell. The Sun is about
$200 less than the Cruiser - not a huge money difference, but I'm
wondering if there's any significant quality differences or issues with
the Sun versus the Cruiser. I liked the Cruiser's price point versus
the Cat Trike products, but I don't want to buy something just because
it's a few hundred less and get stuck with a problem. I liked the
handling a bit better on the Cruiser. I'd sure appreciate any thoughts
and sage advice on the two bikes. Thanks!

IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Terra Trike Cruiser or Sun EZ Tad ??
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:06am

How about a 30 pound weight difference in favor of the Terra Trike? Angry

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:47am

Welcome to the forum, texasyankee. I don't know trikes well, so I'll let others answer your questions, but I think Opus is right. The Sun recumbents are pretty well built for inexpensive bikes and trikes, but they do tend to be heavy, and that is a major consideration for most of us.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
texasyankee

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:26am

Thanks, guys - yeah I know the weight difference - but for me, I'm not that concerned about performance - I'm in it for enjoyment and exercise - so maybe the extra weight would be a benefit.  And that seat on the Sun - MAN, that's comfy - very much like the seat on my Bike-E.  I did like the handling on the TerraTrike a bit better though.

Besides the weight issue, is there a significant difference in quality or reliability?  I know the Tour has better components than the Cruiser - is there a similar difference in quality from the Cruiser to the Sun?

Anything else I'm missing?

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:16pm

Terra Trike is a tank - solid and reliable.  You'll get all the training you need on a lighter bike by going faster and pushing yourself.  That sun will stop being fun once you realize you can't break 15mph on the flats.

I'm not a big fan of either bike, but I'd still pick the TT.  

Either way, welcome!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:17pm

Oh, and if you're serious about getting a good bike, you might wait around and see if you can snap up a catrike road or Greenspeed trike.  Probably not at your price point, but you never know!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 8:46pm

Is this Richard?  Welcome to the discussion board!

Having had in our possession both a 65-pound EZ3 and a 30-pound Catrike Road over the last couple of years, allow me to chime in with a few comments:

1) I would agree that for casual trail and White rock cruising, the weight difference ain't that big of a deal... (except when lifting it into whatever you're hauling it in...)  I could get the EZ3 up above 20 mph if I wanted to, but that's just me...  You'll be somewhat slower climbing up the spillway on the Sun, but I don't imagine you're wanting to tackle the Loving Hills area, anyway!

2)  Seat comfort does count for something.  The foam pad on the Sun will soak up bumps better than the TT mesh, but it's still not very forgiving, really.  I would recommend doing a LONG test ride on a bumpy sidewalk, just to see how shock is transferred over time.  Sticking with lwider (1.5") lower pressure (50 psi) tires will also help absorb bumps.   Both seats adjust recline angle, so that's not an issue.  However, the TT seatback MAY be more comfortable than the Sun -- I found the support straps on the EZ3 would "dig in" to my back, on occasion.

3)  I don't know the steering linkage mechanism between the two models, but for casual riding I would recommend an "indirect" steering machine.  The Catrike was direct steer, and is very twitchy -- but then again, it's designed for quick response!

4)  I would imagine that factory service/support is better from TT, but RBM has a couple techs that are experienced in working on both vendor models, so it's probably a non-issue.  

5)  Check both models for places to mount things like water bottles, Camelback, bell, mirror, etc.  Sometimes there are significant differences between models as to what you can do.  And DEFINITELY get a mirror of some sort!

5)  However, look to the future...  if and when you want to upgrade, TT offers higher performance machines already, and you'll know their product to a certain extent if you get the Cruiser.  Sun does not make a higher-performance machine.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know when you pull the trigger!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
texasyankee

rbent member

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 9:32pm

No, I'm not Richard - I'm Joe - but I knew a guy named Richard in college.

Good observations, and I'm pretty much decided on the TT, but that seat on the Sun really was nice - just like my Bike E, and man, my rear end is spoiled now.

I imagine I may have to load the bike on my roof rack - I don't think it's gonna fit in the back of my Honda CR-V, even with the two rear seats down and the passenger seat pushed up - so yeah, 65 versus 33 pounds will be a big difference.

Funny ya mention the tire pressure - I had new tires put on my Bike E and rode them today for the first time - they were 100 PSI versus the old 60 PSI - WOW - what a difference - very noticable - even going against the 100 MPH wind today on the way back - they seemed to ride "faster", and I wasn't aware of any comfort issues - then again, big seat + big ass = lots of cushining.  I'm wondering about upgrading to the higher pressure tires on the Cruiser . . . wonder how much of a "performance" improvement I'd see, and if I'd notice any comfort issues?

The TT is indirect steering - I'm not sure on the Sun, but I didn't like their steering as much - "twitchy" is a good way to describe it - but I'm not sure if it's direct or indirect.

I agree with ya on the factory service issues - those guys at TT have been nothing short of wonderful with all of the phone calls I've made asking about the bikes.

I need to look into the issues of water bottles and a mirror and a bell - I gotta believe that a TT can handle those items - I'll find out - thanks for the reminder.

The bike I rode at RBM was a TT Tour - they didn't have a Cruiser - they're going to have one in stock in a week or so, and I'm gonna test ride that as soon as it's ready - it should be pretty much the same the bike (frame, steering mechanics, seat, etc.), with the exception of some better-quality components, which I'm not sure I'll notice.  

Thanks again for the guidance - feel free to add anything else that comes to mind - I'll keep ya posted . . .

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:39pm

That's one reason to get a Greenspeed - they fold.

Although I have seen a real neat trike carrier on ebay for about 165.  Check that out.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:43pm

btw - there is both a TT zoomer and a catike expedition for sale by the editors of bentrider.  Bryan is selling the WW and seeming is desperate for cash so you could get it for a STEAL.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
texasyankee

rbent member

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:16am

Thanks, guys - the Zoomer's steering is a bit twitchy for me - I'll check out the Expedition, though - thanks!

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:23am

Oh, one more thing -- go with "clipless" SPDs or Bebops or something like that, as opposed to just flat pedals, with some MTB shoes or sandals.  It's WORTH it, since you never have to worry about unclipping quickly to prevent a fall, and it will prevent any "leg suck" issues as well as helping your power up inclines by allowing you to pull a little bit.  

Assuming you do this, I would recommend you move the cleats as far back toward the heel as possible -- that seems to be the "conventional wisdom" for 'bent riding -- it certainly works for me!

Regarding weight, if you're planning to use a roof rack, definitely go with the lighter machine...!!!

Oh, and if you buy it, come out to White Rock this Saturday for the 1PM ride and show it off!!!  Some of us are meeting at the south end parking lot, west of the 7-11 / spillway.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:25am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print