Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 10th, 2024, 5:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tail Sock (Read 1928 times)
Capt Colletti

rbent member

Tail Sock
Nov 30th, 2007, 5:51pm

I was looking at the Hostel Shoppe site the other day and I was intrigued by pictures of the Tail Sock. It is a fabric fairing for the rear of the bike. Has anybody used anything like this and are they as effective as they claim. The ad states that you can expect an about a 2 - 3 mph increase in speed with the same amount of effort as on an unfaired bike.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Tail Sock
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2007, 8:08pm

I have a Tailsock on my Nimbus, as shown in this thread. I bought it as a closeout from Terracycle. I wanted to try it out, and I figured it would also make a nice pattern to follow if I get around to making a full bodysock for the Nimbus, like I've been thinking about doing. I wasn't that keen on the frame setup that everyone seems to use with these, so I built a coroplast box to fill it, instead.

How much good these do is a hotly debated topic. They definitely do make you faster, but I don't think it's nearly as much as Hostel Shoppe and some of the other places claim. From the studying I've done, and my own experience, I think it takes something a lot longer, with a lot more gradual taper to make that kind of difference. I think a 1 mph gain would be closer to what you could expect, depending on the bike.

On a lwb, I don't think they help much at all, unless you also add a front fairing. They really do help with your visibility, and also have a high cool or geek factor, depending on your point of view. YMMV.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007, 8:17pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
woody

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007, 11:04am

I put one on my rans v26 just to be noticed. NOt really looking for much more mph. Barry

Email   IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2007, 3:36pm

I have been thinking about a zipper fairing for my home built clone.  I have changed the handle bar to Sun type bar which will be easier to mount to the fairing.  Is it worth the money
?  My bike weights 42 pounds which I know is very heavy.

Tom

IP Logged
goldrushdave

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2008, 1:42pm

I have a terracycle tail sock for a Bachetta that I could sell you.  It has the red/black color.

Let me know if you are still interested.

DCW

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008, 3:07pm

Quote from goldrushdave on Feb 13th, 2008, 1:42pm:
I have a terracycle tail sock for a Bachetta that I could sell you. It has the red/black color.

DCW

Is that for the Bacchetta Recurve seat or Euromesh seat?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2008, 3:15pm

Quote from goldrushdave on Feb 13th, 2008, 1:42pm:
I have a terracycle tail sock for a Bachetta that I could sell you.  It has the red/black color.

DCW

Dave is the one who sold me the aero, so it's probably for the carbon.   I might have snapped it up if I'd know you had it when I was buying the bike form ya!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print