Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 10:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My bike may be toast (Read 1501 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

My bike may be toast
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:01pm

I was JRA to go do comparison shopping for chainsaws and was exactly .50 miles from the house when the bike shuddered and the rear wheel locked up. When I got off the bike the rear deraller was stuck so far into the rear wheel  it was almost sticking out of the other side. I haven't been able to get the derailler separated from the wheel yet, but it looks like the rear wheel is not going to be salvageable, the derailler is definitely not going to be salvageable. I'm not sure until everything gets untangled, but the frame may also be toast. I may not be able to get the derailler hanger straight, in which case I'll set the date for the wake. embarrassed

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: My bike may be toast
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2007, 6:32am

Dude, were you Hitler in your last life?  This is way too much Karma for one man!   cry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2007, 8:55am

Dang, sorry to hear that, Opus. I hope the frame is ok.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2007, 9:12am

Opus,

I had a similar thing happen last year on my bentech. I dodged another bike and put my foot down to balance. As my foot swung backwards it nailed the derailleur and sent it into the wheel. Makes a sick crunch don't it. Mine just snapped off luckily. It was a Shimano that had a plastic body. Bent two spokes pretty good and I had to true the wheel again.  

You are definately in line for a run of good fortune.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2007, 2:32pm

Since the Stratus may be dead, I'll go as fast as I can on building a Trashbike replacement for local rides. Most of my rides are made with the bike in one gear, so I'll just build a Trashbike with the same gear inches or a little smaller and just ride locally. Grin

Here's the plan: I need to find a pair of wheels with a wide enough rim to safely mount the 20"X3" tires I got. I have one front wheel with a 48 spoke hub but no brakes that is just wide enough at 27mm outside 21.5mm inside, but the rear wheel was tacoed. I have a couple of rear hubs with freewheels but no brakes that I can use provided I get rims wide enough so that I can get brakes to clear the tires. The minimum rim size I can still use rim brakes with is 32mm outside. This will give me at least one wheel with brakes. A coaster brake wheel will do the same thing as long as the rim is at least 21.5mm inside width.Since the Trashbike I'm planning on is FWD a coaster brake will give me front brakes.

Plan B: I get 2-20"X2.125" or smaller tires so I can use the brakes I have from the bikes I find on the side of the roads. Still need to find/make a rear wheel but the rim width is less critical than with the 3" tires. I can lace a rim from a good front wheel onto the rear hub if the number of spokes match up. I have 36 and 48 spoke rear hubs at the moment, but no hub brakes. Coaster brake hubs will be gratefully accepted if working. I don't have the facilities to repair a coaster brake, either mental or physical. I don't know how and I don't have the tools. Sad

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2007, 9:06pm

After I got off the computer I got my tools and did a post-mortem on the Stratus. The derailler looks like something blew up inside it, both pulleys are shattered with missing pieces and the cage is split open and where it should shroud the takeup wheel both sides are folded over around 90 degrees away from the pulley, and small gouges missing from both sides on the inside where the chain runs. It's a mess.

The derailler hanger is bent at right angles to the dropout, I'll have to get out the bright light and magnifying glass to know how bad it is.

Fortunately all the electrics were either on the non-drive side or near the top of the seat which kept them from harm.

The wheel will require at least 2 and as many as 6 new spokes, and a good cleaning and relubing (which had nothing to do with the issue, it's just time to do that). All the bearings are still turning freely, and the wheel had nothing to do with what happened.

Still no idea what caused this, but the initial evidence is pointing to something failing in the derailler, or the derailler itself.

Opus

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:07pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2007, 9:02pm

The derailer bracketmay be correctable with a derailer trueing  tool.  David at Bike and Fitness  in Longview trued the derailer bracket on my clone using one of this tools.   Park tool make this tool.
Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2007, 8:58am

Sounds like the toast bike may yet live. I bet your bent tinkering gene will kick in and we will see the Stratus roll again. What kind of derailleur are you looking to use?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:15pm

The old derailler was an Acera, PBF gave me an old Alivio to replace it until they could get warrantee information from ShimaNo which might take a while. In the meantime they took a bunch of digital pictures of the part to document the destruction. Nobody in the shop had ever seen a derailler destroyed that way, and everybody in the shop had a look at it.

I have a derailler hanger/ dropout adjusting tool that I use to straighten bent parts like that out, but I have never tried to adjust out that big a bend. It looks like a Crescent wrench, but when it's not being used to turn really big nuts and bolts it's a dropout and derailler hanger adjusting tool. And this isn't the first time that hanger needed adjusting, I had a wreck back a few years ago that dinged the derailler and bent the hanger and it had to be adjusted. This might be more than the part can handle.

So, if the hanger doesn't break off the dropout then the bike will live, if it does break off there is still a chance that someone up at RANS could remember where the backup file is for the pattern to run the laser cutter. That was a big selling point way back then when laser cutting was a GeeWiz aerospace process. I might need to bum a ride to Hays KS to get the part installed cry

In the mean time, I have another bike to build.

Opus

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2007, 10:16pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2007, 5:59pm

PBF requested I bring in the chain to verify it wasn't the source of the problem, so I took it in yesterday. On the way back I stopped at a scooter store and picked up some discarded motors for the e-bike, and fixed one to use as a mule motor to test the rest of the mechanicals out on the e-bike. Couldn't beat the price, zip, zero, nada. I also got a motor to use on the final version, but it will require a lot more work to make it usable.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2007, 2:58pm

OK I heard back from PBF this morning, and for me the news wasn't good. ShimaNo says this wasn't the fault of any of their components but more likely a road debris issue, since there weren't any exploded links in the chain. I'm still trying to get the pics from Tim at PBF to post here and Bike Journal. RANS hasn't gotten back with me on doing a single run on the laser cutter to make a new dropout. And my 11-34 9 speed cassette is now 11-30 8 speed since the 34 cog is bent. On the bright side that means I now have a choice of deraillers to use, since either one will work with a 30 tooth big cog on the back.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2007, 4:41pm

I just got done posting the pics to my MySpace blog from PBF of my derailler. pics here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=182264854&am p;blogID=330107169

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:10am

OK I also have an idea for the dropout fix, installing a Breezer hooded dropout into the original plate dropout. I don't have any links to a picture of the Breezer dropout but I have used them several times in the past to make multi speed recumbents out of BMX kids bikes.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:51am

They're pretty reasonably priced, too, $18.99 at Alfred E. Bike.

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:51am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2007, 2:19pm

Well, I have been working on the TrashBike and determined that the only way to build the FWD fork and clear the tire with the fork is to hand cut the dropouts for the single speed version from 1/8" plate. So since I will have the material and the tools I will use the time to build a replacement drive side dropout from scratch, so I'll let y'all know when I can use the drill and tap for the derailler hanger someone offered before.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print