Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:34am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Italy 200K/300K (Read 1939 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Italy 200K/300K
Oct 20th, 2007, 6:30pm

Wow, what a beautiful day you folks had for the Italy brevet!!!  And I don't EVEN want to hear about that wonderful tailwind you must have had for the last 30 miles!!!!!  (When I did it, it was a NORTH wind...)  So how'd it go, otherwise???

Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2007, 10:12pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Italy 200K/300K
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2007, 9:06pm

I had an excellent day, riding the 200k brevet. Steve, Peggy, and Ray are great company, and it was so nice to be doing the ride with a pack of recumbents who's uphill and downhill speed characteristics match my own. This ride starts in Italy, goes southeast to Groesbeck, then takes a more westerly loop back to Italy.

As I loaded my bike onto the rack this morning, I noticed how cool it was, and turned around and grabbed my arm and leg warmers, and tossed them into the truck. That was a good move. In Italy, the temperature was 57 degrees this morning, with a stiff south wind, and even after I put the arm and leg warmers on, I was still shivering. It's hard to believe it made it up to 91 degrees in the afternoon, and with a big time tail wind, it was downright hot the last bunch of miles.

Within a few miles from the start, the four of us settled into a group by ourselves. We passed Nelson. He was doing the 300k, and conserving energy with a modest pace at that point. The southwest wind, which had been blowing at 10 mph or so when we started, kept picking up, and shortly after we turned west on SH-31 at mile 24, it really started blowing. The eleven miles down SH-14, from Mexia to Groesbeck, mile 52 to 63, were just brutal, against a wind that was really howling by then. Everyone arrived at Groesbeck tired.

But most of the miles after that were with the wind, and we really started moving down the road. At the last control stop, mile 93 at Mount Calm, Ray decided to wait for his friend, Dennis, who had had a blowout and another flat, so Steve, Peggy, and I took off by ourselves from there. We had started the ride with intentions of keeping our pace moderate, since it was Steve and Peggy's first 200k, and I've tended to crater myself lately, when I try to hammer too many miles. For most of the ride we did a good job. We would get the pace a bit fast, then catch ourselves, and slow a little. At this point, however, we just kind of took off. There were a few miles west, against a quartering wind which really slowed us down, but once we turned north on FM-308 at mile 101, we really cranked it up.  

After we turned onto US-77 in Milford at mile 125, we made a quick stop at an outdoor pop machine, wanting a rejuvenating soft drink for the last few miles, but the machine was out of order, so we just rested a few minutes, and continued on. I can't believe how strong Steve and Peggy still were as we pulled into the finish! Congrats on your first 200k, you two, that was a great effort!

We finished with 132.2 miles, and a time of 9:30. Average speed was 16.6 mph, for an on the bike time of just under 8 hours. This ride was just too much fun; I look forward to more brevets with these bent riders!

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2007, 9:16pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2007, 9:39pm

Ahhh, my famous dr. pepper stop.  COngrats Steve and Peggy.   It'll be all I can do to keep up with you next year.   Wish I coulda made it, but I started hacking up junk.  I woke up at 5am and tried to see if I could shake it off, and at 6 went back to bed.  I still can't talk - just sort of whisper.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2007, 10:03pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 20th, 2007, 9:06pm:
I had an excellent day, riding the 200k brevet. Steve, Peggy, and Ray are great company, and it was so nice to be doing the ride with a pack of recumbents who's uphill and downhill speed characteristics match my own. This ride starts in Italy, goes southeast to Groesbeck, then takes a more westerly loop back to Italy.

As I loaded my bike onto the rack this morning, I noticed how cool it was, and turned around and grabbed my arm and leg warmers, and tossed them into the truck. That was a good move. In Italy, the temperature was 57 degrees this morning, with a stiff south wind, and even after I put the arm and leg warmers on, I was still shivering. It's hard to believe it made it up to 91 degrees in the afternoon, and with a big time tail wind, it was downright hot the last bunch of miles.

Within a few miles from the start, the four of us settled into a group by ourselves. We passed Nelson. He was doing the 300k, and conserving energy with a modest pace at that point. The southwest wind, which had been blowing at 10 mph or so when we started, kept picking up, and shortly after we turned west on SH-31 at mile 24, it really started blowing. The eleven miles down SH-14, from Mexia to Groesbeck, mile 52 to 63, were just brutal, against a wind that was really howling by then. Everyone arrived at Groesbeck tired.

But most of the miles after that were with the wind, and we really started moving down the road. At the last control stop, mile 93 at Mount Calm, Ray decided to wait for his friend, Dennis, who had had a blowout and another flat, so Steve, Peggy, and I took off by ourselves from there. We had started the ride with intentions of keeping our pace moderate, since it was Steve and Peggy's first 200k, and I've tended to crater myself lately, when I try to hammer too many miles. For most of the ride we did a good job. We would get the pace a bit fast, then catch ourselves, and slow a little. At this point, however, we just kind of took off. There were a few miles west, against a quartering wind which really slowed us down, but once we turned north on FM-308 at mile 101, we really cranked it up.

After we turned onto US-77 in Milford at mile 125, we made a quick stop at an outdoor pop machine, wanting a rejuvenating soft drink for the last few miles, but the machine was out of order, so we just rested a few minutes, and continued on. I can't believe how strong Steve and Peggy still were as we pulled into the finish! Congrats on your first 200k, you two, that was a great effort!

We finished with 132.2 miles, and a time of 9:30. Average speed was 16.6 mph, for an on the bike time of just under 8 hours. This ride was just too much fun; I look forward to more brevets with these bent riders!

Excellent re-cap,Bud. I can't add a lot ,except to say what a great group of people comprise RUSA/Lone Stone Randooneurs.  
They made the "newbies"(aka The Stradas) feel right at home. AND it was a HUGE turnout(I'm not sure how many riders-but I heard one of the LSR members say that this was the largest turnout for a brevet).

Thanks to Ray(who showed guts/heart riding with broken fingers),Nelson(who is a machine-a 300K,are you serious?),& especially Bud(all around good guy & darn strong rider). That was a lot of fun today with good friends,& beautiful Texas countryside. The wind sucked,but it sucked for all of us. Bud was awesome with the directions(The Stradas will be at REI tomorrow buying bar maps)&  conversation. You made the difference for Peggy & myself,a familiar face who likes to get after it. AND how I can I forget about racing to county line & city limit signs?!!! I finally caught on near the end. I, like Bud,really enjoy with these folks. I'll ride with them anywhere/anytime.  

There are some experiences you come away with on a ride like this. Bud,your description of an "accomplishment ride" fits perfectly.
But just all the sights,sounds,control stops with great food,friendly people,etc...words can't quite due the experience justice.

For anyone interested,brevets are really cool & a whole lotta fun! Get out & try one & see for yourself!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2007, 10:16pm

Quote from aikigreg on Oct 20th, 2007, 9:39pm:
Ahhh, my famous dr. pepper stop. COngrats Steve and Peggy. It'll be all I can do to keep up with you next year. Wish I coulda made it, but I started hacking up junk. I woke up at 5am and tried to see if I could shake it off, and at 6 went back to bed. I still can't talk - just sort of whisper.

Peggy,Bud & myself were thinking of you prior to the start( desperately wanting to trade places with you because as Bud said,it was COLD this morning!!). Take care of yourself,we missed you today ,but maybe we can catch ya on the next ride(which is next Sunday in Arlington-150K-Green Oaks & I-20).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2007, 11:19am

Congratulations to Peggy and Steve on their first Brevet!!  It was great seeing a pack of bents (all Bacchettas!) roll out with the pack.  The fellow I was riding with at the end (Bryan from Waco) was interested, and remarked that he saw several at his old group in Arizona as well.  The 300K was fairly hard, despite taking it easy for the 1st half, I arrived in Groesbeck a little low on energy.  I'm was trying not too pig out as I'm sometime want to do on these things, but I may have been a bit overzealous.  I ate some pop-tarts and felt a bit better, and the next section with well a non-headwind was better.  I was going to really hammer on the last 40 miles and see if I could make my orginal 15hr goal, but when I arrived at the closed control in Mt. Calm a pack of 3 riders, Sharon, Jeff, and I missed his name, but I think he's the RBA from Houston, were waiting to ride in as group with us.  A very nice thing to do.  We waited up for Bryan, and rode as a group for about half the distance in, and it was great getting to socialize, something that's normally hard for me on the corsa.  Bryan  dropped back a little with stomach issues and we chatted about Arizona/Texas differences, and bents vs. df's.  A very nice way to cruise in.  

With bonus mileage ( a couple of wrong turns!) I had 195.3 miles
Overall time was 16:15 or so
Bike time was 13:48
so I think I had 14.15mph rolling avg
and 12mph overall.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2007, 5:47pm

Great ride report Bud.  I didn't want to sounds like a baby, but both my fractured fingers throbbed the entire ride.  What made the pain more intense was the necessity to pull on the handlebars into the strong headwind.  But once I heard that Peggy recently had her armed caught in an elevator and she worked 80 hours this past week, I wasn't about to complain.  

I was slower on the climbs than I'd have liked.  But the four of us rode nicely together through the first 90 miles.  When we got to the control and mile 92, we heard that my good friend, and TTTT partner, Dennis Cook had double flatted.  He is an ambassador for this sport, and has waited to help many a rider, so it was a no brainer that I was going to wait for him.  He pulled into the control just as Peggy, Steve, Bud and I were about to leave.  I stayed at the control at least 30 minutes while Dennis rested, and I look at this tire.  He had a hole in the middle of his rear the diameter of a penny.  We cut an old tube into three pieces (each) about the size of a quarter.  Dennis wanted to ride a little easy the last 40 miles.  Since I had rested more than an hour (20 minutes with Peggy, Steve and Bud and another 40 with Dennis), I was ready to tear up the last 40 miles.  So I'd ride 4-5 miles, then wait.  I played leap frog the remainder of the ride.

Even with a 60 minute final control, and an unscheduled 20 minute stop in Malone near the finish, I still finished in less than 10.5 hours with an avg. speed of 16.6 mph.  

NOTE TO STEVE AND PEGGY - Be sure to get your RUSA application subitted, so you get mileage credit for yesterday's Brevet.  Great job you two, especially with Peggy's injured arm.

We, the recumbent community,  are starting to turn heads at these events.  I hope Steve, Peggy, Bud, Nelson, Greg, Paul and others come out for the Populaire next Sunday. And if so, we need to ride together, possibly pulling a train in draft formation.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2007, 8:01pm

Agreed, Ray. We do seem to be turning some heads. About 4 miles after we left the last control, we passed Dan and Pam's group, first Peggy, then Steve, then me. As I passed, I said, "So much for their being newbies; I can't seem to slow them down." Dan turned to Pam and said, "We're getting some real athletes joining up these days."

Like Steve pointed out, everyone gave Steve and Peggy a great welcome on the ride.

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:12am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2007, 10:21pm

Ray, Thanks for inviting us to ride with you yesterday.You are a great ambassador for recubents as will as brevets. I full enjoyed that style of riding and am looking forward to riding our next 200K.  
I have to set the record straight my arm was not that bad only a little numb, nothing broken like your hand. I think you rode like a trooper I think if that had been me I dont think I could have  riden. As for work, it sounded like you had a week from hell also..  
I'm glad to hear Dennis was able to finish the ride after his tire problems. That was nice of you to wait for him.

Great ride Nelson, congrats on a super ride.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:38am

I would like to add my congratulations to Nelson for completing the 300K. What an accomplishment. And thanks again to Ray for inviting Peggy & myself. The three of us(Bud,Peggy & myself) waited at the last control for you,but then the hunger pains kicked in & took over so we went to get some food at Applebee's. Ray,glad to hear you finished strong.  

Memo to Bud & Ray-you'll be happy to know both Peggy & I now have bar maps!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:27am

Thank you all for the kind, though undeserved words.  

Steve, now that Christmas is fast approaching, you'll need to get Peggy a "rapper" style gold chain to hold the bar maps around her neck.  

Be sure to use a clear protective insert inside the bar map so the ink on the cue sheet doesn't bleed onto the bar map.  If you don't, it will become problematic during the heat of the summer.  I use a baggie and it works great.  

I sincerely enjoy riding with you all.  Toot your own horn a little, and revel in the fact that you are strong riders, everyone one of you also have a big heart.  

Have a great week everyone!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:08pm

Quote from bikerteam on Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:27am:
Thank you all for the kind, though undeserved words.

Steve, now that Christmas is fast approaching, you'll need to get Peggy a "rapper" style gold chain to hold the bar maps around her neck.

Be sure to use a clear protective insert inside the bar map so the ink on the cue sheet doesn't bleed onto the bar map. If you don't, it will become problematic during the heat of the summer. I use a baggie and it works great.

I sincerely enjoy riding with you all. Toot your own horn a little, and revel in the fact that you are strong riders, everyone one of you also have a big heart.

Have a great week everyone!

A little "bling-bling",huh?! She does like jewelry. Peggy has the "fancy" bar map-the one that is a map wallet. I have a regular bar map holder. Good advice on the the plastic baggy. I could see how the ink could bleed onto the plastic cover of the bar map. Now we have a decent place to hold our cue sheets & brevet cards.  

See you next Sunday.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print