Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 10:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Lone Star Randonneurs Oct 20th Italy 200k Brevet (Read 3953 times)
Bud_Bent

Lone Star Randonneurs Oct 20th Italy 200k Brevet
Oct 15th, 2007, 7:45pm

All the details can be found here. This will be Steve and Peggy's first 200k ride; let's go ride with them for support! The ride starts at 7:30 am at the parking lot next to the Exxon Tiger Mart at the corner of SH-34 and I-35E.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2007, 7:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Lone Star Randonneurs Oct 20th Italy 200k Brev
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2007, 8:39pm

So long as Steve and Peggy will promise to slow down so I don't have to DNF at mile 93 again, I'm there!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2007, 9:05pm

Ah,no worries. We'll be plenty slow. I'm really looking forward to riding the 200K(ask me Saturday night if I still feel that way). We've been riding that Celina chip/seal to get ready for the Italy chip/seal.

Bud & Greg(and Ray Torrey too),thanks for the support.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007, 11:00pm

Greg will you be pedaling the Lightning or the Tica?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2007, 6:18am

Quote from terranimo on Oct 15th, 2007, 11:00pm:
Greg will you be pedaling the Lightning or the Tica?

Terry

The lightning.  There's so much rough chipseal on this route that my back would be sore on the tica and my eyeballs would hurt.   Grin.  Even though the tica is a plush ride, it's not THAT plush.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2007, 6:40am

Wow - looks like we'll have a great bent turn out for Saturday's 200k.  I haven't talked to Nelson in more than a week, though I believe he is riding the 300k.

Terry - can I assume that you'll join us as well?  If so, we should have:

Paul - you can't miss out on this fun...  

Steve
Peggy
Greg
Bud
Terry
Nelson
Paul (?)
Ray

Everyone, as a contingency plan, be sure to bring your night riding gear, and cool weather layering.  

side note:  A LSR member from Mississippi (Michelle Williams) had been asking me questions about recumbents as she is tired of having a sore bottom after riding 200-600k rides on her DF.  After testing riding many different bents, she purchased a Corsa this past weekend.  She isn't coming to the Italy Brevet, but we hope to see her soon.  Another female ultra rider on a bent (yaahoo). No worry Peggy, Michelle will admit that she is one of the slowest riders, but she is consistent and at least she completes the long rides, hopefully more comfortably on the Corsa!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2007, 7:54am

Im in the "think about it" stage.  Is there a que sheet published for the route?  

Thinking out loud here...  I would need to roll the Baron for this.  200 Klicks is about 130 miles which would be the maximin mileage I ever pedeled in one day.   My previous limit is the HH100 which is very level.  I proven to be whimpy on hill climbs.  130 miles is possible, I could conserve energy and walk up steap hills.  Pay rides are easy to navigate.  Just follow the arrows.  I would prefer to have a Edge 705 GPS to help me with brevet cruseing.  Smiley    I dont have head-light for the Baron.  Previous night rides envoled me straping on a SCUBA dive light.  I would need to join the  local chapter (Lone Star Randonneurs).

I have a few days to sort this out....

Terry

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2007, 7:54am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2007, 8:48am

Hi Terry,

hope you can come,  cue sheets are at http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/brevet_schedule/2007/2007_brevet_schedule.html.
These will likely be close, although possibly not the final sheets, as the official ones will be at the start.

The routes out of Italy are quite nice, and fairly recumbent friendly.  I wouldn't worry about the distance too much, as the ride is sorta broken up into smaller segments.  The breaks at controls really do extend your reach quite a bit.  For the 200K some "just in case lighting" would likely be enough as you should be done before dark.  The 300K people will need something for several hours though.   I don't expect to get done before 10:30pm.

I think it will truly awesome to see this many bents come out!

So far the weather looks pretty ideal.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2007, 5:28pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Oct 16th, 2007, 8:48am:
Hi Terry,

hope you can come, cue sheets are at http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/brevet_schedule/2007/2007_brevet_schedule.html.
These will likely be close, although possibly not the final sheets, as the official ones will be at the start.

The routes out of Italy are quite nice, and fairly recumbent friendly. I wouldn't worry about the distance too much, as the ride is sorta broken up into smaller segments. The breaks at controls really do extend your reach quite a bit. For the 200K some "just in case lighting" would likely be enough as you should be done before dark. The 300K people will need something for several hours though. I don't expect to get done before 10:30pm.

I think it will truly awesome to see this many bents come out!

So far the weather looks pretty ideal.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson,it was a good to see you this past Saturday in Celina(although it was very,very brief). It was so funny,Peggy was leading us out when she yells" is that another recumbent coming at us?"  

I yell "yep,that's Nelson" , as he goes the opposite direction with the Verizon jersey.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2007, 7:39pm

It was very cool to see the pack of bents!  I had time to yell Hi Peggy, Steve!   Who else was there?

Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2007, 10:23pm

Nelson, Besides Peggy & I,the other 'bents included Corsa Ken & Corsa Mike(Foorider),then there was a friend of ours(Jason) on an upright.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2007, 5:32am

Terry, and anyone else interested in riding the 200k this Saturday.  Nelson is absolutely correct.  At the beginning of each event, you will receive a cue sheet and brevet card.  There are mandatory stops, shown on the cue sheets. The official term for these stops is "control".  Each control is approximately 25-40 miles apart, and are usually convenience stores.  You must get your card date/time stamped at each control. You must finish a 200k in 13.5 hours, which is something like a 9.9 mph average.  

If you break a 200k ride mentally into parts (ie, control by control), they are simply multiple 25-40 mile rides, where you can rest as long as you want, as long as you finish in 13.5 hours.  You receive a nice medal for each successful Brevet, and a year end medal for each distance in multiples of 1000k (ie, 1000, 2000, 3000, etc).  

There are multiple routes out of Italy, all of which are probably the least climbing of any Lone Star Randonneur events.  I normally ride my DF in these events, though I ALWAYS ride my recumbent in the Italy events.  

Since daylight hours are shorter, I'd recommend brining front and tail lights even for a 200k.

One final thought.  If you are not a member, please see the "become a member" link on the web site:
http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2007, 1:27pm

Just for a time reference -- when I did the Italy 200K a couple months ago, we started at 7AM, and I finished at 4:30PM...  However, with darkness approaching by 6:30 these days, taking lights along is a must, in case of mechanical issues...  and a spare TIRE, not just tubes...  Wink

Also, take your reading glasses along, you old folks...  you MIGHT just have to read the cue sheet!!!!

Sorry, gang, can't join in this time -- gotta be a homebody!!!  There will be other opportunities...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2007, 6:27am

Well, The sore throat started a couple days ago, and really hurts today, along with coughing deep in the throat/congestion.  I'm not coughing up any junk though.  Anybody know if it's ok to cycle in that condition and not make it worse?  I can barely talk, but don't want to miss the ride.   cry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2007, 6:45am

An event like this where I know several riders is a outstanding opportunity for fun and fellowship.  Unfortunately Im not at the level of preparation that I need to participate comfortably.  This will factor into my master plans for future rides.  I will begin acquiring equipment such as head lights etc…
 Cool
Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2007, 7:43am

Greg - sorry you're not feeling well.  If it's any consolation, since TTTT I've had more "issues" than recent memory affords me.  As I previously posted, I've recently been very sick, had a fairly badly fractured tooth, etc, lots of business travel resulting in lack of sleep, etc...  I've been in Ohio most of the week, and Wednesday night literally had meetings that concluded at 4am yesterday.  Drove 90 minutes to the Columbus airport to catch a flight back to DFW.  Zero sleep for past two days.  Dropped my suit case on my hand yanking it out of the overhead storage., and think I have a broken middle finger on my right hand.  It hurts, and is swolen, and black & blue. Had meetings back at DFW all afternoon, that ended at 7pm last night.  Had a business dinner that ended at 10pm.  Got to be around 11:30, and up at 4am this morning for normal (ha ha) work day today.  Eyes so blurry it's literally difficult to focus on my computer screen.    

My body is so screwed up I feel as if I'm recovering from an overdose of anaesthesia.  Tonight will be the first night in weeks that I will hopefully have a normal nights sleep.  I usually check my bike, and pack my "Brevet bag" days ahead.  I need to do all that tonight and get my butt to bed as early as possible.  

I'll have to dig deep into my reserves for sufficient energy to complete tomorrow's 200k.  If I'm not at the start, it's because I couldn't get out of bed.... cry

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2007, 9:21am

Dang, we're falling apart. Greg, if it's only a head cold, with no fever, and the symptoms are mild by Saturday, I would ride. But, if you have chest congestion, any sign of fever, or feel really bad, I would just go back to bed.

I didn't have such a great health week, myself. I spent yesterday at the VA hospital getting my pre-op exam for the thyroid nodule removal surgery I'm having next month, and after I got home, they called to inform me I had flunked the chest xray. There seems to be a shadow on one lung. It was there on my last chest xray in January (before my hernia surgery), but is more pronounced now. They're setting me up an appointment for a cat scan.

It may just be scarring. I've always been bronchitis prone, had pneumonia twice when I was young, and got reminded this summer (with the bronchial spasm episode in July and bronchitis in August) that my lungs may be the limiting factor for how many miles I ride, so it wouldn't be a shock to discover that I have some lung damage. I felt great on a 98 mile ride last Saturday, so it's hard for me to believe it's too serious. Besides, I wouldn't want to miss a ride over something minor like a lung problem, right?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2007, 9:33am

It's the Wheezing Geezer Curse....!!!!!!  We've been hexed!!!!!!!   cry

(I, on the other hand, feel fine...)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2007, 9:52am

The years, the years, curse the years! I've been hobbling around the last two days down in my back. My back has always been bullet proof until now. The doc says thats just what comes with age. Sad He asked me what I do for exercise, I gave him my bent story. He was impressed and said I would live longer. Smiley Somehow we will have to find ways to stay healthy and continue riding. You know what the alternative is.  Wink

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2007, 11:55am

Quote from Richard on Oct 19th, 2007, 9:52am:
The years, the years, curse the years! I've been hobbling around the last two days down in my back. My back has always been bullet proof until now. The doc says thats just what comes with age. Sad He asked me what I do for exercise, I gave him my bent story. He was impressed and said I would live longer. Smiley Somehow we will have to find ways to stay healthy and continue riding. You know what the alternative is. Wink

Richard,take care of the back. I had 4 consecutive years of back surgeries(a few years ago). I know what real back pain feels like. My neurologists said that back pain is a cumulative effect-what we do to our bodies when we're younger,comes back to bite us as we get older.  

Holy crap, half of Flying Recliners are falling apart(then there's Paul l,I guess we're just too mean). Greg,I hope you feel better soon. Bud,don't let the preliminary info scare you. Docs are forever seeing things on X-rays that aren't really there(usually these "spots" are shadows). Ray,geez I'm exhausted just hearing about your ordeal. You work too hard.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2007, 5:38pm

Holy Schnikes, Bud.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  

As of right now, I'm still planning on being there. An early night's sleep will hopefully help.  But I likely won't be much for conversation - my throat hurts too much.  Still not hacking anything up though, so there doesn't seem to be anything in the chest.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2007, 5:47pm

Quote from aikigreg on Oct 19th, 2007, 5:38pm:
Holy Schnikes, Bud. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As of right now, I'm still planning on being there. An early night's sleep will hopefully help. But I likely won't be much for conversation - my throat hurts too much. Still not hacking anything up though, so there doesn't seem to be anything in the chest.

Not much for conversation?? So, same old Greg? C'mon...just kidding!!  We'll see you tomorrow. I hope you're feeling better.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print