Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 3:55am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Argyle ride? (Read 612 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Argyle ride?
Oct 8th, 2007, 4:44pm

So how was the Tour De Argyle????

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Argyle ride?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:35pm

Ray, Terry and Mark took off on the 100K route, so you'll have to find out from them how that one was.  Carolyn and I took off intending to do the 100k until we hit the first hill just after we left the school.  Both of us made the decision to ride the 37 at the same time while we were climbing the hill.  The route was full of rollers, but overall, a great ride.  The first year for rides you never know what to expect, but they actually did a good job.  Some of the route was the old Flower Mound route backwards.  John S was there as well, so we rode with him and enjoyed the stories.  I would do this ride again.  You couldn't ask for better volunteers either.

IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Argyle ride?
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2007, 9:51am

Tour d Argyle was a good time and well orgainized.  Ray said much of the route was similar to the mid-cites RBENT ride he help sponsor.  I also this ride. but I found it challenging.  The “HillTOP” hill caught me off guard.  Its one of those sneaky steep hills with a curvy road that hides the hill's evilness. Ray warned us that it was on the route, but he estimated it was about 5 miles out.  Well the “HillTOP” hill  was actually 2.5 miles out.  It was the first time I went up a significant steep hill (12% grade) with my Baron.  And It was the first time I used my low gears.   About half way up the hill I saw the first curve and I realized hat this was “”HILLTOP”.  I lost my rhythm and I realized the middle gear wasn’t going to work.   So I dropped down into the low gears. I lost good form and began to pump away flaying my feet with brute strength.  My speed dropped to about 5mph.   Under 7mph my Baron is hard to control.  But I was stubborn and pushed on.  No way I wanted to be a recumbent guy who wimped out and walked his bike up the hill 2 miles into a pay ride!  Horary!  I made it to the top.  I was really wiped out after that monumental effort.   Subsequently I was dropped by Ray and Mark, so I cancelled the 100K and spent the next 41 miles doing a recovery ride.  

The remainder of the route had rolling hills and sharp  turns.  I shifted my gears more then I have on any other ride, plus I had to learn to lean on these fast turns.   I chickened out  several times and applied my brakes.  I hate using my brakes.  Since it takes my organic energy to get going, I certainly don’t want to waist my energy and use my break.   There was at least one sharp curve with a huge nasty pot hole in the apex section.  The ride officials did a good job tagging the hole with spray paint.  But hey at 25mph+ on a blind curve to a pot hole is a dangerous situation.  I was glad I slowed down for that curve!

When the 100K route merged back with the 37mile route.  I turned around and began pedaling the 100K backward until I found Mark.  Then I followed him to the  finish.  Mark is a real animal.  He was only a few minutes behind the lead paceline.  

I take this experience as challenge to improve myself and gain some hill climbing power, (and gain more confidence with fast  turns).   I should do better If I keep good form.  Defined as digging my shoulders into the carbon-seat,  keeping a high spin while properly downshifting to maintain a good power curve.   Hill Training!  

Mark put a few photos and a video of Tour d Argyle on his blog:  http://www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com/

Terry

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2007, 10:16am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print