Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 3:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleburne Times review of the TTTT (Read 592 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Cleburne Times review of the TTTT
Sep 30th, 2007, 8:53pm

Here is an article from the Cleburne Times review for the Texas Time trial. The website is http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/local/local_story_273162106.html

Racers pedal 500 miles through hills

Long, hard rides test cyclists’ endurance

By Monica Green/features@trcle.com

Athletes from 21 states are in Cleburne to compete in the fifth annual Texas Time Trials, a three-day bicycle competition in which participants take laps in the hills southwest of Cleburne. One hundred thirty participants are registered, and more are expected to register on the day of the race they want to compete in.

“There’s nothing like it going on in Texas currently,” event director Dan Driscoll said. “Years and years ago there was a race like this down in McGregor. I had competed in that race years ago, and I wanted to keep something like that alive in Texas.”

The event, begun in 2003, has been successful, drawing cyclists from all over the world.

“We currently have people coming from 21 different states,” Driscoll said. “In years past we’ve had people come from overseas. We’ve had people come from Mexico, Puerto Rico, England ... . People from as many as 23 total states have come in different years. We attract world-class athletes as well as the kids next door.”

The trials begin at New Hope Baptist Church, 12600 Farm-to-Market Road 1434. The route follows FM 1434 as it becomes Park Road 21. Then the track turns onto FM 1224 before returning to FM 1434.

The 20 mile loop was chose because of its varying elevation.

“I think there’s roughly 1,000 feet of climbing per lap,” Driscoll said. “That’s significant for Texas.”

Any of the races can be done individually and in two-person and four-person teams.

Sponsors and volunteers help with the races.

“We have 70 people signed up that are going to come out there and fill water bottles, stay up all night and cheer on the racers ... all the mundane tasks,” Driscoll said. “It’s pretty heart-warming for me that so many people put so much time and energy into this thing out of the pure generosity of their heart.”

Proceeds from entry fees benefit New Hope Baptist Church and the Texas Bicycle Coalition.

“Last year we donated over $4,000 to local Cleburne charities,” Driscoll said.

In the first race, the Tejas 500 Race Across America Qualifier, cyclists have 48 hours to complete 500 miles. The race began at 6 p.m. Thursday. A 500 mile race with a 42-hour limit and one with a 36-hour limit are also planned.

One race tests racers’ endurance, measuring how far each goes in 24 hours. It begins at 6 p.m. today. The 200 Mile and 100 Mile Ultra Marathon Cycling Association North American Championship races begin at different times Saturday.

“When we started this thing five years ago, almost all the racers signed up for the short race,” Driscoll said. “The most dramatic thing that’s changed is that 70 percent of the riders are now signed up for the 500 mile race.”

The varied start times are scheduled in hopes that the racers can finish at the same time.

“At about 3 o’clock Saturday, what is so cool is that there are 500 mile racers pedaling out their last laps — they’re tired and have been going all night — and then there’s 100 mile racers zooming by. If you sit at the New Hope church and watch, you can see racers going by at different speeds.”

The church cooks a dinner, and a banquet and awards ceremony are held. Anyone who completes 500 miles within 48 hours receives a trophy.

For information, call Driscoll at 817-925-0158 or visit www.tt24tt.com.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cleburne Times review of the TTTT
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2007, 9:46pm

If I remember right, it's closer to 12-1300 feet of elevation, ain't it Bud?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Cleburne Times review of the TTTT
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2007, 10:26pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 30th, 2007, 9:46pm:
If I remember right, it's closer to 12-1300 feet of elevation, ain't it Bud?

Nope, between 900 and 1000.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print