Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 6:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Search for a Winter Bike (Read 636 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

My Search for a Winter Bike
Sep 26th, 2007, 3:15pm

Hello Everyone,
I needed to get my thoughts down on my desire to purchase a new (to me) recumbent.

I enjoyed the recent White Rock Lake ride where I was able to for first time see Buds famous born-again RANS Nimbus.  Winter of 2006/2007 left me a little envious as Bud rolled up many happy miles on this bike.   This exposed my need for a winter bike.  So I’m thinking out loud here.  I’m currently in a search for my very own winter&commuter bike.  I have the EZ tandem and the Baron.  I love both bikes and each severs its purpose.  The baron will be undergoing a winter rebuild so I need something in between.  This is a good time of the year to get a good deal.  Because it’s the end of the summer and the end of the cycling season for many Yankees.  

Being a winter&commuter bike my requirements are:
•      Good low speed handling but can still move at a decent top speed.
•      Good visibility in traffic.  Cars should see me and I should see the cars.
•      No heal strike issues.  Need to be able to concentrate on traffic not where my steering and feet are positioned to each other.
•      Inexpensive.  A used bike is preferred because it’s insane to get a beautiful new bike subject it to winter abuse.
•      Ability to haul cargo.  As a benchmark for cargo, I want the bike to be able to haul my laptop (I use a back-pack type laptop case like student use).  I estimate that this would be between 15-20 lbs.  
•      I can fit my 36inch inseam and 44 inch x-seam on the frame.

The following items are not mandatory:
o      A windshield would be nice.  Smiley  Keeps the winter chill off and optimizes the aerodynamics.
o      Dual big wheel would also be nice.  Or the ability to latter convert the front 20" to a big wheel
o      Disc brakes would be nice
o      3x9 speed.  8 speed is acceptable

To meet the above requirements I obviously need a LWB (Long Wheel Base) recumbent.  The following models are examples that meet most of the  requirements:
•      Easy Racers LWB bikes like the Tour Easy.  Expense to purchase used because of a high resale value
•      The RANS LWB models like Stratus.  Very popular, well built bike that is easy to find a good deal on used bike.
•      Cycle Genius LWB models.  Well built bike that is not a common as the RANS LWB models.  
•      I like the new Sun/ER Tomahawk/javelin but I don’t think it would be very good at carrying cargo.

I have a "Want to buy" classified ad on BROL:  http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33244  
So far I have leads on some acceptable deals.  I hop to make a decision soon.

Questions:
Does anyone know of a LWB tail-bag or box that can haul at least 15lbs?  

Sincerely,
Terry  

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 3:21pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: My Search for a Winter Bike
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2007, 9:41pm

An Angletech Aerotrunk like Paul's should hold that much, but they are a bit pricey. You could also make your own coroplast version.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print