Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 6:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homebuilt fairing for V26 (Read 2025 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Homebuilt fairing for V26
Sep 21st, 2007, 12:07pm

I spent a bit of time the last couple days attempting to create a fairing for Barrys' V26...  The first couple things I realized was that:

1) My SXP fairing wasn't going to work, due to foot interference from the higher pedal position, and
2) With the seat recline of ~40 degrees and the pedal position, my line of sight to the road surface of interest is actually THROUGH the handlebars instead of over the top.

This presented some challenges, but I fabbed up the small fairing pictured below.  As you can see, direct attachment to the handlebars creates an issue with foot interference -- so I "scooped" out the front.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good method at the moment to extend the fairing significantly out from the bars.

Riding with it last night, I don't think it did much for me, as I could still feel a LOT of wind hitting my chest, shoulders, and head during the time trial run.  Doubly evidenced by my somewhat disappointing finishing time...

It seems like the better thing to do is make one more extended down (and up), and somehow anchor it to the handlebar downtube, extending it out front far enough to still have total foot clearance (especially during turns).  

But this may put it so far in front of me as to do no good, either.  It also still needs to be lexan, so one can see through it through the handlebars, so the added weight would be significant.

And all this seems a bit beyond my capabilities for "homebuilding"....  Sorry, Barry, I thought I was on to something, on the cheap!   lips sealed

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007, 12:12pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Homebuilt fairing for V26
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2007, 12:10pm

You've just described a Mueller Windwrap fairing.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007, 12:14pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Sep 21st, 2007, 12:10pm:
You've just described a Mueller Windwrap fairing.

Opus

I know, I know, but I like spending $30 as opposed to $300...  which was half the reason!!

Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2007, 1:54pm

That's the standard problem with fairing a lwb with a higher bottom bracket. Bikes of that nature tend to be faster unfaired than a lwb with a lower bottom bracket and more upright seating, but gain less from adding a fairing, because of the difficulty of getting the fairing close enough to the rider (and the fact they already have better aerodynamics). It takes a very well designed fairing to help much.

You were already faster than me, on the Stratus XP, and it's a bike that puts you in a good power climbing position. Maybe you should just ride it, and have plenty of time for speed bike upgrades before next year's TTTT.

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007, 1:57pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2007, 4:14pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 21st, 2007, 1:54pm:

You were already faster than me, on the Stratus XP, and it's a bike that puts you in a good power climbing position. Maybe you should just ride it, and have plenty of time for speed bike upgrades before next year's TTTT.

I think with the amount of climbing involved in the TTTT course, the V26 will be a better bike to use...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2007, 1:34pm

Well, it was an interesting and worthwhile experiment, riding the V26 for a week or so -- and sincere thanks, Barry, for the swap!  However, try as I might yesterday, I couldn't get the bike above 25 on the flats, which is a definite indication of the help the homebuilt fairing (although smaller than a Windwrap/Zzipper style) on the SXP gives.  Even with the seat at ~<40 degrees recline and my feet up, I could really feel the wind hitting me -- which to me sort of says that if you're not going to have a fairing and still want a significant difference in speed compared to a low bottom bracket bike, you really DO want to get "laid back" like a Bacchetta...  But putting an extended front fairing on the V26 would definitely increase one's top speed!

My other impressions of the V26 compared to the SXP:

1)  The ride was definitely somewhat bumpier, which is easily attributable to the aluminum frame and frame geometry -- but still comfortable, as such.  But I'd have to give the SXP the nod for long-distance touring comfort, especially on chipseal.

2)  Having my feet higher to pedal wasn't a significant problem - but I was uncomfortable with it 18 months ago.  Balance was not an issue, although it was a  (very) LITTLE trickier when starting.

3)  The front end is definitely lighter, comparatively -- I could feel the front wheel move significantly in bumpy sections;

4)  Power transfer seemed better, from a purely subjective standpoint.  If I could have reclined the seat even more (I was on hole #2, and my Aerotrunk was almost rubbing the tire), I wouldn't have had quite the support from the seatback.  [Note:  Barry uses it even much more upright, like hole #7?]  The aluminum frame has very little flex, and the BB is part of the main 2" tube.

5)  It fit on my Saris rack fine, even with the seat on -- the SXP is topheavy with the seat on.

6)  The disc brakes were tempermental -- I had to loosen the cable more than I wanted to to avoid rotor rubbing.

Like I said, it was an excellent experimental opportunity, thanks again, Barry!  Kinda quashes my budding desire for an aluminum V3... which isn't necessarily a BAD thing for my wallet!!!   Wink

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print