Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 4:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tttt rule issues and thoughts. (Read 1363 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

tttt rule issues and thoughts.
Sep 8th, 2007, 11:13pm

# 12 No personal support vehicles or crew on course. If caught receiving help from anyone but neutral support = DQ

I'm going to presume this means you can't be helped during a lap - is that how y'all read that?

# While riding at night, racers must have something reflective on their bikes and/or body, facing in all four directions. Nightriders must also wear a reflective vest and ankle bracelets. We suggest wrapping reflective tape around both crankarms, the forks, rear stays, and helmet. =  P

I have a reflective vest.  Think we'll need it, or do bents get an exemption out of that one?

We need to have a good first aid kit just in case...

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: tttt rule issues and thoughts.
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007, 1:04am

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 8th, 2007, 11:13pm:
# 12 No personal support vehicles or crew on course. If caught receiving help from anyone but neutral support = DQ

I'm going to presume this means you can't be helped during a lap - is that how y'all read that?

# While riding at night, racers must have something reflective on their bikes and/or body, facing in all four directions. Nightriders must also wear a reflective vest and ankle bracelets. We suggest wrapping reflective tape around both crankarms, the forks, rear stays, and helmet. =  P

I have a reflective vest.  Think we'll need it, or do bents get an exemption out of that one?

We need to have a good first aid kit just in case...

Yes,that's how I interpret the rule. I think Bud was saying if you need mechanical assistance,a SAG vehicle will bring you back to the start/finish line & you loose your time for that lap.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2007, 2:21pm

Greg,

Yes, you have to do your own repairs, walk/drag/carry the bike the rest of the way, or ride the sag vehicle back to the start of the lap. Once back at the start, you can get help, or another team member could take your lap.

Ray and Nelson can probably answer the reflective questions better than anyone else here. What kind of reflective stuff do y'all use in brevets?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2007, 3:04pm

I have a reflective /blinky light vest one of y'all can borrow if needed. Somebody can pick it up when they come to take Bud's bender back to him.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2007, 6:08pm

Hi Guys,

yeah the reflective gear even though not so visible while you're riding is good for if you have to stop and are near the roadway.  I have a RUSA reflective sash, and ankle bands I wear on me, and also stuff on my helmet.  I have one of the triangles on the back of the brain bag, with various reflective tape I mounted for last years TTTT that might need some sprucing up.  I know from night riding that no matter how good your liights are, its the reflective gear car drivers spot first.  The possible exception is the little Dinotte tail light which is incredibly bright.  Fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of traffic when I've been out on the TTTT course at night. But it is very dark out there.  Last year there was a meteor shower in progress and during my 2 hrs of night riding I saw over 50!  One benefit of being on a bent!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2007, 9:49pm

[quote author=Kwijybow link=1189311224/0#4 date=1189379323]Hi Guys,

yeah the reflective gear even though not so visible while you're riding is good for if you have to stop and are near the roadway.  I have a RUSA reflective sash, and ankle bands I wear on me, and also stuff on my helmet.  I have one of the triangles on the back of the brain bag, with various reflective tape I mounted for last years TTTT that might need some sprucing up.  I know from night riding that no matter how good your liights are, its the reflective gear car drivers spot first.  The possible exception is the little Dinotte tail light which is incredibly bright.  Fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of traffic when I've been out on the TTTT course at night. But it is very dark out there.  Last year there was a meteor shower in progress and during my 2 hrs of night riding I saw over 50!  One benefit of being on a bent!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson,do we have to have reflective visits??? I have ankle bands & reflective helmet tape(and HID light). My big bag has a factory installed relective tape at the rear of the bag. Is that enough??  

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2007, 11:04pm

I'm pretty sure the vest or sash is required under the TTTT rules, I know it is for a RUSA brevet if it will have dark riding.
As far as other reflective stuff its pretty much up to what you feel comfortable with.  I do notice that people who ride a lot at night (ie many of the randonneurs I've met with this year) have a lot of reflective gear, and even I use a lot more now than I used too.  When you come up on somebody from behind the reflective stuff really pops compared to a little red blinky.  I highly recommend one of the triangles, as that is more informative to a car than a horizontal band.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2007, 8:33am

I have ankle and wrist bands, but I not a reflective sash. I guess I need to get one before TTTT time.

We just got a good reminder of how important the reflective stuff is at night: an Arlington cyclist was killed Saturday night when he was hit by a police car. He wasn't wearing a helmet, and had no reflective gear or rear light. Here's the story.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:41am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2007, 9:47am

It drives me crazy when I read about this kind of thing. It seems so unnecessary. 

Just a few weeks ago, I was driving to an early-morning ride, in the dark, and nearly nailed a guy on a bike before I saw him.  Not some poor schlub riding a Mongoose to his minimum-wage job, he was "flying the colors" and just pedaling along without so much as a blinky.

As it turned out, he was riding to the same starting point as I was. I recognized him from his jersey, took him aside, and explained that he scared the carp out of me because I hadn't seen him until it was nearly too late.  I suggested some basic lights; he was noncommittal.

I am pleased to say that I do see a lot of the aforementioned commuters wearing those reflective vests like the highway workers use.  If they're not going to use lights, the vests at least let me see them in time to avoid becoming a cyclist killer.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2007, 9:47am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print