Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Night-trainin! (Read 1961 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Night-trainin!
Sep 1st, 2007, 11:38pm

Well, I couldn't put the 4-bulb cateye  on the tica, since the der. post is too thin and I couldn't get the backet to work.  So I put the tiny little cateye pen light opticube and went out to the dam to do some riding.  The little sucker isn't going to work, which i knew, but I got to see bud's light in action, which works great.  

My only concern now is if I can ride the tica at all at night.  I may end up bringing two bikes instead.  When riding the lowracer I get most of my visual cues from the road way ahead.  I can't see the road real close to the bike.  Add in the lack of night visibility and my natural pitiful excuse for night vision and we may have a problem.  Being higher on the p-38 might slow me down but get me there in one piece.  

Time to bite the bullet, find a light, and try it again soon.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Night-trainin!
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:09am

Still Pretty Keen on my little Fenix, and they've come out with an even better one, but these do require creative mounting techniques.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2973

I have a terracycle accesory mount combined with a twofish cycloblock, and then some additional velcro strapping, and it seems to stay put but be slightly adjustable.

Only bad thing about the new one is they seem to discourage long runs on turbo mode. hmm.  But high is almost as bright as the turbo mode on my Cree based one with double the runtime.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:19pm

Greg,

I too will be riding two bikes at TTTT.  I'll ride my DF (w/generator hub) at night, and my recumbent during the daytime hours.

Nelson, give me a call when you can.  Dennis and I rode the 200k Brevet yesterday, and talked TTTT strategy.  We'd like to discuss with you. I took 3 wrong turns in the first 20 miles of yesterday's brevet, and have a new knickname
[/color]WRONG WAY RAY[color=#000000]
Ended with more than 140 miles, with almost exacatly 8 hours of bike time.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:47pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:09am:
Still Pretty Keen on my little Fenix, and they've come out with an even better one, but these do require creative mounting techniques.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2973

I have a terracycle accesory mount combined with a twofish cycloblock, and then some additional velcro strapping, and it seems to stay put but be slightly adjustable.

Only bad thing about the new one is they seem to discourage long runs on turbo mode. hmm. But high is almost as bright as the turbo mode on my Cree based one with double the runtime.

Take Care,
Nelson.

You mean that little headlamp is all you run?????

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 5:02pm

"but look at its fangs!"

Actually that little thing is dynamite.
I wish someone would market the high level LEDs in a bike specific light.
Dinotte comes closest but you pay for theirs through the nose.

Give you a call tonight Ray!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 5:34pm

I just can't believe a beam that size could illuminate the road and surroundings.  I find that unless it's a strong light, I can't see a curve - it all looks like straight road to me.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 8:20pm

I would expect you have some of the same issues I have on the Bacchetta only worse, as the more inline your eyes are with the light beam, the less relief you can pick from road protuberances.

But I think you do need to see my little light in action before dismissing it.  120 Lumens is nothing to sneeze at.  Ofcourse a 20W halogen is at least double that, but I have to haul a multi pound battery to get the same runtime, and my light weighs just a few ounces more than 2AA batteries.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2007, 5:41am

I volunteered to serve in the TTT race.  I will most likely be pecking stats into the computer.

I strap on my bicycle helmet a LED SCUBA light that does double duity.  Never know when you want to ride you bike underwater.  This SCUBA is only a 2watt 40 lumen LED but has a lens that consentrates the beam to a narrow focuses instead of waisting light everywhere.
http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/detail.php?ProductID=4

The brightest bike light would be a Trail-tech “Eclipse” 30watt HID light:  1850 Lumens!
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=1012

The 11watt model is 500kumens.

Beam comparison:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=914

Sincerely,
Terry  

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 5:45am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2007, 7:39pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 2nd, 2007, 5:34pm:
I just can't believe a beam that size could illuminate the road and surroundings.  I find that unless it's a strong light, I can't see a curve - it all looks like straight road to me.

If we're still on for a Saturday night ride(this Saturday night),I can show my Light & Motion HID light.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print