Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hotter 'N Hell Hundred (Read 6143 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Hotter 'N Hell Hundred
Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2007, 11:53am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 27th, 2007, 9:51am:
Quote from Strada177 on Aug 27th, 2007, 7:28am:

Mrs. Strada kicked butt. She finished with an 18.0 mph average. Excellent for her first century ride. I was waiting for her at the unofficial rest stop(mile 98). We did cross the finish line together...or it was someone with long legs & blonde hair wearing a pink jersey & helmet.

Yaaaaaaay, she got the cheese wheel~!!!!!!!  Grin Grin

Yep. 3lbs of Cheddar/Swiss/Colby/Colby-Jack. What did I get? A tune-up for the TTT's. I'm ready. I will keep climbing those Celina hills.  

Paul,congrats on your time. 30 minute improvement is awesome. Mile 98 rest stop was ah...an experience. I saw 4 separate accidents(from cyclists taking the blind right curve right into park bikes or cyclists still on their bikes drinking beer).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2007, 3:45pm

Anyone hear the total # of riders or the fastest time?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2007, 4:56pm

Quote from Richard on Aug 27th, 2007, 3:45pm:

Total riders was 10,205. I'm not sure about fast times,the newspaper only posted Staurday(pro races) results.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:06pm

You can find the fastest non-racers if you can find the website that posts the results of the people using the timing chips.  Did greg use a chip this year?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:53pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 27th, 2007, 4:56pm:

Total riders was 10,205. I'm not sure about fast times,the newspaper only posted Staurday(pro races) results.

Plus the 5000 that started down the lane ahead of everyone else Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:54pm

Quote from terranimo on Aug 27th, 2007, 6:06pm:
You can find the fastest non-racers if you can find the website that posts the results of the people using the timing chips. Did greg use a chip this year?

Terry

I did, but I don't even want to know - it was a fairly embarrassing ride for me.  And I'm still sore and dehydrated even now.  I just want to lie down!  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2007, 8:28pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 27th, 2007, 6:53pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Aug 27th, 2007, 4:56pm:

Plus the 5000 that started down the lane ahead of everyone else Smiley

There was an article in the Sunday WF's newspaper about a cyclist that freely admits to starting the 100 mile route at 6:15 am "to  beat the heat."  You know if one rider admits to something,there are at least several others doing the same thing.  I'm sure the H'NH organizers loved the press about this.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2007, 11:04pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 27th, 2007, 6:54pm:
Quote from terranimo on Aug 27th, 2007, 6:06pm:
You can find the fastest non-racers if you can find the website that posts the results of the people using the timing chips.  Did greg use a chip this year?

Terry

I did, but I don't even want to know - it was a fairly embarrassing ride for me.  And I'm still sore and dehydrated even now.  I just want to lie down!  

I dehydrated myself on Thursday/Friday getting ready forHnH, then Packing/unpacking the jeep and getting Opus's bike on the jeep etc.  Friday night I weighted myself on the Beam-Scale in the lockeroom at Lamar BC 194lbs.  Then I weighted myself again after 106 HnH miles on Saturday.  And I weighted (197lbs) 3 pounds more  on saturday then Friday!   I had rehydrated myself on HnH100.   That long sleve yellow Compression shirt I wear works VERY well.  I dont know why they are not more popular with cyclists.  Richard wore a white compression shirt.  He can confirm how great they are with handling sweat.  Plus you can dump water on them and they will keep you cool.

Greg If you stop running with the dogs and start hanging with the puppies you could hit the rest stops and feast on Bannas and Pickles.Then you would have less glory and fewer aches and pains!

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2007, 11:21pm by MrOverdressed »  

IMG_0807.JPG

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Aug 28th, 2007, 12:06am

I ended up about 9 pounds lighter after my abbreviated ride than before, 214.4 in the doctor's office on Wednesday, and 206.5 on the beam scale (which I checked the calibration) in the locker room at Lamar. I'm still trying to figure out how I lost that much weight in the 12.39 miles I managed to get in on Saturday.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 28th, 2007, 6:20am

Here are my HnH100 photos.  I put this together for my friends and family.  I "loaned" a few photos from TJ, Paul, and Richard.

http://terry.pickl.com/media//HotterNHell2007/index.html

I wanted to tell the story to non-bicyclists of what a major pay ride is like.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2007, 6:49am

Quote from terranimo on Aug 27th, 2007, 10:04am:
To get some sleep at Lamar Baptist Church, I took 1/2 of a Ambien sleeping pill and wore ear plugs. Roll Eyes

Weren't you afraid you'd oversleep?  My doctor prescribed me a mild anti-depressant to use as a sleep aid when things are hot at work and I have trouble getting my mind to "shut down" at night.  If I only take half of one, I still feel a bit dopey[er than usual] for part of the next morning.

Quote from Opus the Poet on Aug 28th, 2007, 12:06am:
I'm still trying to figure out how I lost that much weight in the 12.39 miles I managed to get in on Saturday.

Have you taken a head appendage count recently?

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007, 6:53am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 28th, 2007, 9:01am

Terry,

I like the guy in the background of your picture. He is out of it. There was a fellow at rest stop nine that layed on the ground with his head on his bike and went to sleep.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Aug 28th, 2007, 9:28am

Quote from FooRider on Aug 28th, 2007, 6:49am:
Quote from terranimo on Aug 27th, 2007, 10:04am:
To get some sleep at Lamar Baptist Church, I took 1/2 of a Ambien sleeping pill and wore ear plugs.    Roll Eyes

Weren't you afraid you'd oversleep?  My doctor prescribed me a mild anti-depressant to use as a sleep aid when things are hot at work and I have trouble getting my mind to "shut down" at night.  If I only take half of one, I still feel a bit dopey[er than usual] for part of the next morning.

For me 1/2 of an Ambien  is good for about 4-6 hours of sleep.  (I take them rarely)  Plus to bouce me back I had two 18mg hits of speed called “Concerta” which is 12 hour time released ADD drug subscribed to adults.  Took one at 5:30AM and the second around noon.  These things hav a high street value.   Started taking Concerta about 6 weeks ago my brain does work better.  For most of my life I avoided drugs.  Now being middle aged I need all the help I can muster up.

The funny thing here is that last year I got back into bicycling to loose weight.  I was 220lbs with a gut.  I worked hard all summer long riding my bike 2-4 times a week and starving myself on a low carb diet.  Finally by the middle of August I started to see results and got myself down to around 204 lbs.  Now being on Concerta, I have to eat like a pig to keep from dropping weight.  Concerta is like a diet pill.  It reduces your appetite and increases you metabolism.   I lost about 10 lbs before I switched to the high carb diet.  I now have the same weight and metabolism as I did when I was in college.

Now that I have drugs figured out I need to master the nutrition needs.   Smiley

Terry

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007, 9:30am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Aug 28th, 2007, 12:32pm

Quote from FooRider on Aug 28th, 2007, 6:49am:

Quote from Opus the Poet on Aug 28th, 2007, 12:06am:
I'm still trying to figure out how I lost that much weight in the 12.39 miles I managed to get in on Saturday.

Have you taken a head appendage count recently?

Yep, checked and found all my body parts still in close proximity.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #29 - Aug 28th, 2007, 1:57pm

We did the 100k and my better half did just fine. That was the longest she's ridden yet. I have to agree all the airmen and women cheering us on was great. I don't remember them doing that before. Same time next yr! [/quote]

I forgot to mention what happened at the 30 mile rest stop. Some woman offered to change seats with us (she was on a wedgie) and as a joke I said "10 bucks!" and she agreed then I added that was "10 bucks per mile" and she agreed again!! Poor thing. When I did these distances on my DF, I would usually end up with lower back pain and a sore posterior. At the end of the 100k I got off the Strada and HAD NO PAIN AT ALL!! I shoulda switched a long time ago....

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print