Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 10:29am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sound off your HnH100 Ride Plans (Read 8491 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Sound off your HnH100 Ride Plans
Aug 17th, 2007, 3:15pm

Sound off your HnH100 Ride Plans.

Since Im not in paceline attack shape.   cry  I plan on keeping a moderate pace.  I want to start on the 100 Mile route.  Im going to skip the first 1 or 2 rest stops.  Then get my moneys worth by drinking and feasting at the remaining rest stops.   I want to see the world famous Hells Gate.  Then Depending how I feel I might continue on the remaining 40 miles.  But taking the 12 mile bail out is a good option, as it travels through the Air Force Base on the tarmac past all the jet fighters and a 72 miles ride is a good day.

For comedy,  Grin thrills,  Shocked and worldwide recumbent dominance  Cool I would be willing to draft behind Greg or some other Paceline Bogey for the first 10 to 20 miles.  Angry I would get going early   undecided enough in the morning to get a good start spot.  And pound away on my 200mm cranks keeping up as best I can.  Smiley

Terry

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007, 3:16pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Sound off your HnH100 Ride Plans
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2007, 8:03pm

I'm planning on hitting every rest stop on the 100 mile course, if only for a fresh fill on the water bottle and a bannana chunk. My speed is normally just on the verge of making Hell's Gate, so I don't want to tarry at the rest stops until after the Gate.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:23pm

I'm planning to ride a quick pace (~20+) nonstop till the Mile 30 stop, then judge things from there for the other 70.  With the heat we had last year, it was already hot by the time I reached Margaritaville (Mile 50) around 10AM, and the rest of the way just got warmer.  This year, who knows?

Whether some of us similarly-paced RBENTers can paceline the whole thing, or we indivicually tack onto the back ends of DF pacelines, drafting definitely helps through the miles.

Did I hear Greg said he was going to try to beat 4 hours bike time...???

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:44pm

I'm just going to have to see how I feel, and go from there. Here it is, 5 days before, and I still have bronchitis, so it's pretty certain that I won't be completely clear by then.

I'm still planning on riding 100 miles, but it may be closer to a 6 hour pace than anything else.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:46pm

The "Stradas'" "game plan" is to ride steady at the beginning-17 mph avg.(we don't want to "spend all of our money in one place" to quote Bikin' Mike). The "plan"(if there is such a thing) is to stop at rest stop #3,#6,& who knows after that. I just want to finish the 100 miles,however,I would like to finish STRONG("finish" being the key word-avoiding any mechanical issues/crashes)!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:47pm

OK I will try and get up to the Bent Start Area early so that I can hang with Y'ALL.   Stop #3 is the first 100mile exclusive stop.  Stops 1 and 2 are shared with the shorter routes.  So if we skip those stops we should not have to run over too many people.

Terry

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2007, 1:48pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:49pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 20th, 2007, 1:44pm:
I'm just going to have to see how I feel, and go from there. Here it is, 5 days before, and I still have bronchitis, so it's pretty certain that I won't be completely clear by then.

I'm still planning on riding 100 miles, but it may be closer to a 6 hour pace than anything else.

Bonchitis,still? Bud,please don't mess around with this. You have seen a "doc",right??? I'm right there with you for the the 6hr pace.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:49pm

Come visit the IC3 booth and/or tent when yer done....I'll be there starting at 3:00pm Friday - 9pm, and 5am - whenever on Saturday.  No riding for me, so I'll need to live vicariously through youse guys!

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2007, 1:52pm

COOL!  I will stop at the IC3 tent on Friday.  Im hauling Opus up friday to split gas.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2007, 2:06pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 20th, 2007, 1:49pm:

Bonchitis,still? Bud,please don't mess around with this. You have seen a "doc",right??? I'm right there with you for the the 6hr pace.

No, I haven't seen a doctor yet. Quoting Wikipedia's page on bronchitis (As a kid, I had bronchitis so many times, I could have written Wikipedia's page), "In most cases, acute bronchitis is caused by viruses, not bacteria and it will go away on its own without antibiotics." (Antibiotics only work for bacteria.) "Acute bronchitis usually lasts approximately 20 or 30 days."  

In spite of that common knowledge, most doctors just want to load you up with antibiotics, so unless a fever shows up (which could indicate pneumonia), it's usually best to give bronchitis at least 3 weeks to clear up on its own. I've had it for 12 days now.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2007, 2:12pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2007, 3:02pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 20th, 2007, 2:06pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Aug 20th, 2007, 1:49pm:

No, I haven't seen a doctor yet. Quoting Wikipedia's page on bronchitis (As a kid, I had bronchitis so many times, I could have written Wikipedia's page), "In most cases, acute bronchitis is caused by viruses, not bacteria and it will go away on its own without antibiotics." (Antibiotics only work for bacteria.) "Acute bronchitis usually lasts approximately 20 or 30 days."

In spite of that common knowledge, most doctors just want to load you up with antibiotics, so unless a fever shows up (which could indicate pneumonia), it's usually best to give bronchitis at least 3 weeks to clear up on its own. I've had it for 12 days now.

Ok, but can Bronchitis turn into something more serious like pneumonia?? Just be careful.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2007, 3:26pm

Am signed up to do the 50 miles because that's all I could talk my bro-in-law into doing.  I'm hoping with the paceline opportunities & his faired GRR, he'll opt for the 100 after all.  Looks like it won't be as hot as last year, so that may also work in our favor for the extra miles.  If I can't get him to go for the 100 this year, I'll be looking to do a sub 5 hr run next year on the Corsa.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2007, 4:46pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 20th, 2007, 3:02pm:

Ok, but can Bronchitis turn into something more serious like pneumonia?? Just be careful.

Yes, the phlegm combined with inflamed bronchial tubes and throat create a situation that's just begging to get any infection that comes along, including strep and pneumonia. That's why doctors throw antibiotics at it, even though it's not indicated, and it's why I've scaled back my activity level while I have it.

If I can't comfortably hang with Paul, he and Greg may be the only rbenters going for the really fast pace. According to Rich Pinto on the Bacchetta forum, John Schlitter isn't coming this year, so I'm not sure who the fast B-Train will consist of. I would think there are bound to be some other fast bents among such a large group, though. Whether or not they're interested in pacelining remains to be seen.

Next year, DJ. We'll wear them out next year.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2007, 5:01pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2007, 5:08pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 20th, 2007, 4:46pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Aug 20th, 2007, 3:02pm:

Yes, the phlegm combined with inflamed bronchial tubes and throat create a situation that's just begging to get any infection that comes along, including strep and pneumonia. That's why doctors throw antibiotics at it, even though it's not indicated, and it's why I've scaled back my activity level while I have it.

If I can't comfortably hang with Paul, he and Greg may be the only rbenters going for the really fast pace. According to Rich Pinto on the Bacchetta forum, John Schlitter isn't coming this year, so I'm not sure who the fast B-Train will consist of. I would think there are bound to be some other fast bents among such a large group, though. Whether or not they're interested in pacelining remains to be seen.

Like I said earlier,I just want to finish the 100 miles. A nice 17-18 mph avg. would be a bonus. It's so crowded the first 20+ miles,it's kinda hard to get crankin' too fast.
Next year, DJ. We'll wear them out next year.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2007, 9:37pm

A friend named Roy Longcrier from Wichita Falls will be there on a brand new Ti Aero.  He's probably in the 4 hour class.  Tell him I said Hi.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print