Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 4:58am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trashbike experiment suggestions (Read 2091 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Trashbike experiment suggestions
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:59am

I'm asking for requests for "different" configurations using Trashbike technology. Restrictions are:

1. Something that can be made by cutting up and welding/brazing together discarded bicycles.

2. End product is intended to be a rideable adult bicycle (unless stated at the beginning that the result is for a child)

3. Requestor brings the donor bikes and is available for fittings to make the bike fit him/her (or the person designated as the crash test dummy test pilot)

4. It's something I haven't done more than once already. That might be the most difficult restriction to get around. Grin

5. Requestor absolves builder of any liability for death, injury, or fractured Ego  Cheesy Seriously the biggest danger in this is building something totally unrideable that makes the attempt look totally foolish. Arties are going to be as common as Lycra shorts at a bike race for most of these creations.

What you get is a "free" bike, after you pony up the donor bike(s) and any parts you think are needed to make the bike rideable. I don't have a big supply of donor bikes left after my experiments, nor do I have: brake cables, derailler cables, cable housings (unless you can get by with the stuff that came off some of the donor bikes), tires, tubes, recumbent seats etc.

Here's what I've tried so far: SWB bike made from BMX bike, FWD SWB bike with swinging bottom bracket made from BMX bike, FWD rear steer LWB low racer (splat, repeatedly), FWD rear steer delta trike low racer, SWB bike and sidecar made from BMX bikes, HP pickup truck made from BMX bike and light trailer kit.(not enough brakes, looking for more brakes to make that one work).

Thank you for you input.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Trashbike experiment suggestions
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007, 12:08pm

Toss me together a Tica right quick, and I'll drop off my bender when I pick it up (since I forgot to bring the bender and give it to Paul, Saturday). I guess I need to bring the bender to HHH. Are you still riding with Terry? Will there be room in his jeep for it?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007, 1:38pm

I wonder what kind of donor bikes would be required to make a Tica clone? Roll Eyes The fork is a long term project, whenever I can get the tool is good. I'm wondering if I should cut the steertube before or after the rake is bent in?

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007, 2:09pm

Build me one of these...   Grin

http://www.bikeforest.com/tread/index.php

I love their "Hula" bike (Polynesian propulsion!") concept, as well...  and their homebuilder gallery is cool....    

http://www.bikeforest.com/homebuild26.php

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2007, 2:12pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2007, 3:16pm

Ummm, yeah on that treadmill bike Tongue The question then becomes why combine the worst parts about running with the worst parts of riding a bike, getting the worst of both worlds?

I dug the homebuilt gallery too.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2007, 12:20pm

OK I got this in my e-mail yesterday, a request for a folding backpackable bent. No parts supplied yet though. Sounds like fun, if a little tricky to actually pull off.

C'mon people! give me some ideas here, weirder the better, something I haven't tried yet.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print