Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 2:39pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lighting the night -- headlight comparisons (Read 4546 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Lighting the night -- headlight comparisons
Aug 8th, 2007, 4:48pm

For those out there who are starting to consider night riding...

From www.recumbentblog.com:

August 05, 2007
Shedding a Little Light on Lights
If I had to, I could gauge the time of year by how long I run my bike lights in the morning. During the summer I only turn them on for the first half hour of my daily ride. But as we pass the summer solstice and make the long, sad slide toward the dark of winter, the lights stay on longer and longer. By the time winter has arrived in earnest, my entire ride is enveloped in a blanket of murky darkness. Even though it's only August, I can already detect the change of seasons coming, and the darker mornings have started me thinking about lighting systems again.  

In the process of comparing lights from various manufacturers, one thing that has always been frustrating is the lack of a standard method for measuring light output. Some manufacturers use the "candlepower" measurement, while others use "lumens", and yet others only state wattage and skip light output altogether. I'm no authority on lighting, but in my research I've discovered a few things that might prove useful to my fellow laypeople when they're sorting through the jargon.

Candlepower
Candlepower is a common measure of light, but it's not particularly useful for describing the brightness of a bicycle light. Candlepower only describes the single brightest point in a beam pattern and doesn't account for the remaining light in the beam. It's not unusual for two lighting systems to produce vastly different amounts of light and share the same candlepower rating.

Lumens
Lumens are a measure of the total amount of light in a beam pattern. Lumen ratings are probably more useful than candlepower ratings when comparing bicycle lights. The quality and design of the optics in a lighthead, along with the intensity of the light source, work together to produce the total light output that is captured as a lumen measurement.

Watts
Watts are defined as "the absolute meter-kilogram-second unit of power equal to the work done at the rate of one joule per second or to the power produced by a current of one ampere across a potential difference of one volt : 1/746 horsepower." Huh? I have no idea what that means, but from experience I can surmise that watts are more about power and not so much about light. I've owned high-watt lighting systems that looked good on paper but were only average on the road, and I've owned better designed low-watt systems that were more effective in real world conditions.

Beam Patterns
Beam patterns are a big deal and are hard to quantify. Some lights have high lumen ratings but spill off massive amounts of light into the trees and night sky (and blind oncoming vehicle operators). Others have more efficient, focused beams that are dim at the bottom (where they hit the road at near distance), and grow progressively brighter towards the top for reaching far down the road. The best of these have an abrupt cutoff at the top of the beam, similar to high-quality automotive low-beams.

When shopping lighting systems remember that numbers on a spec sheet only tell part of the story. Lumen measurements are more meaningful than candlepower measurements, but beam patterns are king and can't be quantified on paper

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 4:48pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Lighting the night -- headlight comparisons
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2007, 5:04pm

...and here is an excellent page demonstrating headlight beam patterns...

http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493

Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2007, 11:57pm

Something Watt ratings are good for is finding out how long the light will remain lit when powered by a battery of known capacity. My battery is 12V and 1.3 Ah for a capacity of 15.6 Wh. Since I have a known burn time of 3.3 hours on high beam that means my lighting system consumes 4.73 Watts total.
Also if you know the Lumens per Watt rating of the prime light source (LED, Halogen, HID, or oil burner) you will know how much light you will get from a certain amount of power. I spend a lot of time on the BikeCurrent lighting list, discussing homebrew lights and the latest commercial systems.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2007, 3:25pm

I picked up a L&M Solo Logic halogen on "consignment" from PCF, and after wasting a day trying to figure out how to get it to light (two fast button clicks), determined that it definitely sheds a brighter light with a 13W lamp than my Viewpoint EVO 20W headlight...  but not necessarily enough brighter to justify spending $150 for it, which would give me two of essentially the same thing...

So I'm probably returning it to PCF tomorrow.  Anyone in the market for a very nice light that will take you out for 2 hour rides on the brightest setting, this is definitely a good one, and comes with both handlebar and helmet mounting.  It even has three different power settings.  The battery charger is the "slow" kind, though...  But this one is an "out of the box" sale item, significantly reduced in price.

However, my night vision isn't what it used to be....  And subsequently, I'm getting a severe itch to get an L&M ARC HID....   your basic "prison searchlight"...

...must...  ....resist.......

...hide...  ...credit...  ...card....    undecided

Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2007, 3:29pm

Just 4 monts till Christmas Wink

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2007, 4:01pm

This is interesting information on an alternative to the "higher priced spread" of HID....  hmmmm......

http://nordicgroup.us/s78/HID.html

TrailTech appears to have very similar quality in the $200 range, but they don't have a velcro-style helmet mount available -- theirs is more designed for motorcycle helmet adhesive mounting -- but it can be done...

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 4:34pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2007, 9:51pm

I've pulled the trigger and ordered the Trailtech MR11 set with a Li ion battery...

PB

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2007, 11:12pm

I've been meaning to jump into the light discussion, having done quite a bit of experimentation in the last 8+ years of bike commuting.  Commuting doesn't generally require super bright lights, or extremely long runtimes, but brighter and longer is always better.  When I started the randoneuring thing is when I really got serious about all night lights.  

Here is a brief history of my lighting systems.

Initially I used your typical cateye, like the micro halogen II which is still a pretty good battery halogen light.  It seems to put out about the same as my generator lights and gets about 2.5 - 3 hrs runtime on AA Nimh batteries.  Later when LEDs came out I sprung for the Cateye EL300 which was barely adequate but had a long runtime, I ended up pairing it with a low cost Shimano Nexus generator hub and lumotec light and used that for a whole year, until the big honking heavy light snapped its mount for the 2nd time.  I home made a dual MR11 based halogen lamp which a 4AH Nimh 12 volt battery which would run for 5+ hours on low, and 2+ hours on high.  Wow what a log of light, kinda spoiled me.  Later after my home made mount wore out for the mr11 bulbs, I switched to a single 20W MR16 mounted in a very nice driving light mount.  This thing only stayed lit for about 2.5 hours but it was a lot of light.  Later I changed out the MR16 bulb for a 3 watt luxeon LED with a buck controller that fit into the same MR16 driving lamp.  I gave up about 1/2 of the light, but now I could run 11hrs with a nice wide smooth beam.  I should note I really like the wide cylinder shaped beams that always get bad mouthed when compared to nicely designed generator lights, which tend to make me feel like I'm riding in a tunnel.  The trouble with this series of lights is that the battery is quite heavy and takes up a water bottle cage.
    Last year when I knew I knew I would be riding the Corsa through the night on brevets the next season I sold an older upright to fund a 26" schmidt hub wheel set with E6 light.  This is not a cheap solution by any means but it works very well!  I combine the E6 with a light weight battery backup and carry an extra bulb and batteries and feel confident I will not be without light.  I have been through several LED flashlights adapted for my use as the battery backup and the current super duper winner is a Fenix LD2 CE.  This thing weighs little more than the 2 AA batteries in it, and will run on high for 5+ hrs.  Turbo mode is extremely bright and gives 2hrs or so.  Previous to this I ran a light that ran off a 17670 Li-ion battery, and had a SSC P4 LED.  I still use this light on the commuter bike with the shimano nexus generator and lumotec light.  The batteries are very light, and yield 6hrs each.  I can carry 3 extra batteries and barely notice the weight, and get 24hrs of light, pretty cool for something that cost me $20.00.  The batteries were liberated from a laptop for free, although I recommend using protected Li-Ion batteries, and they can be had pretty cheap. The only downside is your not going to be able to buy the batteries at a control if something happens to your spares.  That's why I switched to the Fenix AA light, if my Nimh rechargeables run out I can buy Akalines, which won't run as long but will work.
For awhile I used a princeton tec eos as a helmet light which will run all night on low, and a couple of hours on high with 3 AAA nimh.  I decided that was too heavy on my head and gave up a bright headlamp for a very light weight Fenix E0, which will run 11+ hours full brightness of a single AAA battery.  I find I only turn it on every once and while to read my cue sheet, or look at the bike computer, so I go months between battery changes.  I think for awhile anyway I'm pretty happy with my setup, and much to the amazement of my wife have gone several months now without any additional light purchases!

Fenix LD2 CE
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2614

Fenix E0 Headlamp
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2119

SSC P4 light
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1322

using a 17670 battery
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2844

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2007, 4:18pm

I got the Trailtech HID MR11 helmet/bar kit this week, and have started fooling with it.  I'll post photos, etc, in a couple days, but for now, it's VERY nice for the price...  Helmet light, Li-ion battery (5 hour burn!), helmet and bar clamps all for $250!!!!!

PB

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2007, 8:26pm

My Light & Motion HID(Arc Li-ion)light was ($300 on e-bay,new in the box,-retail- $539). I have 2 settings-13 W(3.5 hr burn time) or 15W-(3 hr burn time). I can't tell much difference between the 2 settings. Both are extremely bright. I like riding at night. Paul.remind I said that at 2:00 am on 9/29 after a few hours sleep.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2007, 8:52pm

That'll be our mantra..  "You LIKE riding at night, remember???"   Grin Grin Grin

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2007, 10:00pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 29th, 2007, 8:52pm:
That'll be our mantra..  "You LIKE riding at night, remember???"   Grin Grin Grin

Open mouth-insert foot.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:49pm

let me clarify.  You run ONLY these two lights as your light sources now?

Fenix LD2 CE
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2614

Fenix E0 Headlamp
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2119

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 5:58pm

Hi Greg,

Yeah that's it.  When I don't have the generator wheels mounted.  The L2D CE is @65 lumens for almost 5 hours.  @120 for 2 hours.  The little E0 is good for reading cue sheets or doing things that need light within say 10', wouldn't want to drive by it, 11hrs of @5 lumens.  For a brevet I've been known to carry my older L2T as a backup if for some reason the L2D CE completely failed.  I carry enough AA Nimh batteries for the trip, but it's nice to know I can get AA's at a Quick Mart if for some reason I needed to.  In contrast the generator which is pretty darn good is @45 lumens of well focused light.  The L2D CE has a broader beam and seems a lot brighter.  Its not a HID, or 20W halogen though.  I compared it too my other lights and I would say its more focused and a bit brighter than a 10W Halogen I have.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2007, 10:04pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 3rd, 2007, 5:58pm:
Hi Greg,

Yeah that's it. When I don't have the generator wheels mounted. The L2D CE is @65 lumens for almost 5 hours. @120 for 2 hours. The little E0 is good for reading cue sheets or doing things that need light within say 10', wouldn't want to drive by it, 11hrs of @5 lumens. For a brevet I've been known to carry my older L2T as a backup if for some reason the L2D CE completely failed. I carry enough AA Nimh batteries for the trip, but it's nice to know I can get AA's at a Quick Mart if for some reason I needed to. In contrast the generator which is pretty darn good is @45 lumens of well focused light. The L2D CE has a broader beam and seems a lot brighter. Its not a HID, or 20W halogen though. I compared it too my other lights and I would say its more focused and a bit brighter than a 10W Halogen I have.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson,

How did you mount the L2D CE?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print