Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 4:56am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB Century / 100K, July 29 (Read 929 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

GDB Century / 100K, July 29
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:19am

Bud came over and joined us for the Mesquite to Terrell century route.  We had a good ride, with about 35 people total doing either the century or the 100K.  We started out from Poteet HS, headed down to Seagoville to Molloy Bridge Rd, and then headed east/northeast to Terrell.

Just before starting off, I noticed a clicking sound from my rear wheel, and found a loose spoke just as the century group headed off.  Bud was helping me diagnose it, and I tightened it up and re-trued the wheel as fast as I could, then we tried to catch up -- but the group had turned a corner that wasn't on the maps I had made, so it was evident in a mile or so that we had lost them...   SO, after a couple non-connecting phone messages,  we continued on just the two of us, intending to rendezvous down the road at a probably intersection.  We met up after 10 miles, no problem, and carried on, about 13 of us.

We continued down the road, to a rest stop at mile 34 near Combine -- only to find the 100K group there ahead of us!!!  They had gone about 4 miles less, but apparently at a pretty decent pace.  As we headed out to continue to Terrell, a couple of the 100K people decided to join us instead of heading back with the 100K'ers.

All through this, we could see dark clouds scattered here and there...  at the lunch stop in Terrell, one cloud sprinkled on us a bit, but no big deal... and all the way back to Mesquite, we kept skirting the edge of the building storm.  We stopped at a 7-11 about 10 miles out, then headed out for the final stretch -- right into the rain...  

We then got dumped on, all the way back to within the final mile before reaching the parking lot.  However, it's only water...    

At about Mile 80, one of the newish 100K riders who had joined us asked me, "So, what's the advantages of a recumbent?"  I smiled, and said, "Does your butt hurt?"   "You bet"   "Mine doesn't... Smiley"

And for the day, it was 92 miles, 16.25 average, no flats, no wrecks, no road rage -- this is an excelelnt route, with a minimum of chipseal.  Although I did see a motorcycle lose it, trying to stop too quickly for a red light...   [Helmet?  Naaahhhh, of course not!   Shocked ] But he was lucky...

Thanks again for coming out, Bud !

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: GDB Century / 100K, July 29
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2007, 11:43am

Thanks for having me, Paul. That had to be the least fatigued I've ever arrived home after a ride of that kind of distance. We did kick the pace up for stretches here and there, but with the smooth roads, lack of hills, frequent stops, cloud cover most of the time, and lack of hammering, I arrived home ready to ride more miles.

Just before our last stop, Paul did sprint out in front of the group and I joined him. The 20 year old rider who had been beside me sprinted too, but was unable to catch us until we slowed. I always have to smile when that happens. Thanks again, Paul.

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2007, 11:44am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2007, 1:46pm

Sorry I missed the ride,but after killing it at the Goatneck,no way was I up for any signifigant distances. I did manage a 20 mile recovery ride on Sunday.  

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2007, 2:03pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 30th, 2007, 11:43am:

Just before our last stop, Paul did sprint out in front of the group and I joined him. The 20 year old rider who had been beside me sprinted too, but was unable to catch us until we slowed. I always have to smile when that happens. Thanks again, Paul.

That was just stealth on my part -- I could tell you folks were just cruising in at 20 as I came up behind, so I picked it up above 30 and blew past you before anybody could react (much)...  but I wasn't surprised to see you coming up in my mirror, Bud!!!   Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print