Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 4:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh the humanity 200k (Read 1366 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Oh the humanity 200k
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:14pm

Bud and I took off on a 200k from Italy Texas with the lone star randos.  There was a fast group, a medium group, and a slow group.  Bud and I stayed with the middle group since it was abundantly clear we were not going to catch the leaders.  So we hung out with a tandem and another upright and were fine, until the pace started to pick up slowly, but consistently.  Still, made it out of the first control fine and at mile 40 I felt like I could keep up the pace all day.  At mile 45 it was "Houston, we have a problem."  I was creeping along at about 12-13mph when we hit the second control at mile 63.  I almost DNF'ed right there, but Mark Metcalf convinced me to go on - that I would recover one the bike.  So I stuck it out - 30 miles to the next control.

15 miles in I was fine.  The last 15 were abject misery.  I had to pull over and stop twice because my knees, ankles and toes were screaming.  So was my shoulder.  It was a major arthritis flare-up, which must have meant I was dehydrated.  In spite of a second sunscreeen application, I was burnt to a crisp, and my thighs felt like they were underneath a hot fire from the sun.  The last 7 miles seemed to take an eternity; I nearly fell over once and swerved a couple times.  I got lightheaded, sick, and my vision went fuzzy.  Seemed like heastroke.

Bud was a Saint for pulling me that last 15 miles.  I sat at the control and tried to get it together but I couldn't stop the pain.  My legs hurt to put my feet down and sit up, and my knees hurt when I propped them up.  This time, I didn't listen to Mark anymore and DNF'ed.  The first time ever on any ride.  Called my wife to drive the 90 miles to come get my sorry butt.

So close to the finish - only 38 to go, but an hour and a half later, when I had thoughtd of trying to get back on the bike, the heat just crushed me.  No go.

For those who know Jorge, he had a crash and had to DNF also - hope he's ok.  

I'll just be eating my arse off the next couple days and recuperating, and give it anothe go on Wednesday.  This time I'll reapply sunscreen at every control.   I hope that will make a difference.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Oh the humanity 200k
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2007, 10:43pm

Don't feel too bad, Greg. All of us who challenge ourselves have days like that.  It's been less than four months since I bonked on a 64 mile ride and dnf'd just two miles from the finish. This group had so many fast riders, it was just too easy for us to set too fast an early pace, and those of us who haven't ridden much long distance stuff need to keep in mind that we should first concentrate on just riding a long distance, then later think about riding a long distance fast. For me, that's easier said than done.

Jorge actually didn't crash. Three miles after the last control, Pam hit his rear wheel causing her and Dan, who was beside her, to go down. One of their bikes hit Jorge's rear derailler, breaking it off. Jorge didn't go down at all. Dan's front wheel was tacoed, so they put Jorge's front wheel on Dan's bike, and that left only Jorge's bike unable to continue. Pam got the worst of the crash. As she congratulated me on my finish, I could see blood on her knee and shin, and as she walked away, I noticed her elbow was really scraped badly.

Mark hammered the first part of the ride, but then seemed to lose motivation. He slowed down, and rode a mile out of the way for an unscheduled ice cream stop. I think he is still tired from RAAM. After I left the last control, I rode the rest of the way with him. It was a fast group today. Mark and I were the last two finishers.

I ended up with 132.4 miles. On the bike time was 8:07, for a 16.3 mph average. Total time was 9:51. These were mostly very low traffic roads, in a part of the state I haven't traveled much. Starting in Italy, we passed within sight of Lake Navarro, and rode all the way to Groesbeck. On a less trying day, the scenery would have been very enjoyable. The clouds that were around all day never were over us. Mark joked that a sunny spot was following us the whole ride. The heat was brutal, but just two miles down I-35E after I started home in my truck, I hit a major thunderstorm.

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:52am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2007, 11:08pm

Yup.  Had I chose to continue, I would have completed the last ten miles at least in a brutal downpour.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:38am

Holy Cow Guys!  I guess I'm not really sorry I missed it, I'm just sorry it was so miserable for you.  I hope everyone recovers quickly from the heat, pains, and crashes  Sad

Hope to see you soon!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:10pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 1st, 2007, 10:43pm:
I ended up with 132.4 miles. On the bike time was 8:07, for a 16.3 mph average. Total time was 9:51. .

Sounds about like the 200K's the GDB group did 6 months ago...  makes for a long day on the bike, eh?   Smiley

Sorry you had so many problems, Greg!

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2007, 2:56pm

Well, I can possibly attribute my misfortune on a lot of things, but the bottom line is I didn't make it.  Even after sleeping all morning, I'm groggy as hell, and wanting to go back to bed, and all fuzzy headed.  I'm doing nothing today and tomorrow but eating and sleeping, and I'll make it on Wednesday.

This is the first time I've ever not finished a ride or an event, even when I limped into the end of the Dallas Marathon this past winter.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2007, 7:34am

Greg - I feel you pain, my friend.  As I posted about a month ago, Nelson pulled me through a 200k where I should have been hospitalized for heat sickness.  It's a horrible feeling, especially when the heat index is over 100, there is no shade to hide, and you cramp so bad you have to stop, get off the bike, and rest.  The core temperature doesn't drop because there is no shade.  

Happy 4th of July everyone.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2007, 10:00pm

Yup.  Bud and I revisited the same route today, and barely survived.  I have a tremendous amount of heat rash and soreass!  

But, my first, and Bud's third, 200k are in the bag.  Must go to bed now!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print