Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 8:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Great Joe Pool Dam Drenching (Read 1014 times)
Bud_Bent

The Great Joe Pool Dam Drenching
Jun 27th, 2007, 10:09pm

I was so excited about actually getting in a ride this week, I figured I'd better do a report.  

As I sat at home this evening, I noticed that storms were moving northward, both east and west of me, but it looked like a couple of hours without rain here, so I decided to ride. The Joe Pool dam dries out more quickly than anything else around here, so I loaded up the Nimbus and headed for Lynn Creek Marina.

Before I even got there, a light rain started. It was still coming down as I took off on my bike. Heading east across the dam, I hadn't even gotten a mile before I saw really heavy rain a short distance in front of me. So, I turned around, rode back to the west end of the dam, then turned around to try again. I saw really heavy rain at nearly the same place, and this time I could see heavy rain coming across the lake toward me, too. The storm that had been east of me wasn't going to stay east of me. I made a high speed run (at least, as close to a high speed run as I get on the Nimbus) back to the truck. Of course, before I got there, the downpour hit, lightning and all.  

I waited out the worst of it in the truck, then got back on the bike and tried again. There was a light rain for several minutes after I started riding again, then it quit for the rest of the ride. I saw one other idiot........err, I mean rider....... and one man walking a dog. A coyote also crossed the dam just in front of me. From the sounds coming from all around, the frogs were having a great day, too.

I ended up with 21.8 miles, at a 14.6 mph average. That Nimbus handles so solidly on wet pavement, it really is a great rainy day bike. It was my most exciting (read that: ONLY) ride of the week.

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2007, 10:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: The Great Joe Pool Dam Drenching
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2007, 8:29am

I suspect all of us are getting a little tired of the rain.  Seems like it starts up almost every day right when I get home.  I've been on my bike exactly 3 times since the Collin Classic on June 9 entirely due to rainouts.  OK, maybe I missed 2 days I normally would have ridden because I got a new Xbox 360 and one because of a golf tournament, but basically the rain has caused me to go from 4-5 days riding a week to one.  I've had 3 spills on my bike due to wet roads, 2 of which caused some damage to me or my bike, so if the pavement looks wet I generally stay inside.  I'd consider taking up jogging but my neighbor broke his leg while jogging because he slipped on the wet trail, so not sure it's any safer.  The other dissappointing thing is that I was gradually getting faster before all the rain started.  Actually broke the 16 mph average barrier on the 12th (Keller is very hilly, so 16 is not too bad) and have consisitently stayed over 15 mph for some time.  The last time I got out, last Saturday, I could tell I was beginning to lose a little.  Guess I should join a health club.
Anyway, I'm impressed you got out at all.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2007, 8:56am

Yeah, this is getting frustrating...  I got out Sunday morning for a solo 40-miler following the Mesquite route, then last night after work for about 15 minutes around the neighborhood as I watched the thunderbummers get closer and closer...

If this keeps up through July, nobody's going to be in any kind of shape for HHH!!

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2007, 2:49pm

That flat I had last week that ruined my Schwalbe Marathon was the result of diverting off of the paved trail onto Riverside drive because the trail was flooded out. Riverside is torn up from construction and I rode through it cry. Several places on the trail the water was just about 3-4" deep. However one place had at least 3' of water. So much for my daily ride. I gotta get some fenders.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2007, 7:06am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 28th, 2007, 8:56am:
If this keeps up through July, nobody's going to be in any kind of shape for HHH!!

Why risk it?  Swing over to Canton and look for a used pedal boat.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print