Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 6:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Collin Classic 07 (Read 5479 times)
Richard

rbent member

Collin Classic 07
Jun 11th, 2007, 9:25pm

Here are a few pictures from the CC. The pic of Hippie Dude is a guy I have seen at many rides. he has an old bike, rides bare foot, does not wear his helmet, and has a friendly smoke at each rest stop. His basket ( not clear in Pic) has a special holder for his smokes and zippo.  

http://picasaweb.google.com/drahcirrepooc  

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Collin Classic 07
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2007, 7:32am

A couple years ago, I drove up to northeast Ohio to ride with my buddy* in the STOMP Bicycle Adventure, held near Akron in the Cuyahoga National Forest.  It was a gorgeous, cool September day, and since much of the route was in the park there were lots of wide shoulders and sections of road shaded from the big old trees.  The event was great, but the best part was the people watching.  If you think there's some variety to be seen among recumbents, you should have seen some of the homegrown and customized to purpose contraptions people were riding that day.  It was one of those times when I deeply regretted not having a tiny, tote-able camera, because there would have been some great pictures to share.

Anyway, my favorite was an elderly Amish gentleman riding one of the most severely upright DF bikes I've ever seen.  He had fabricated his own taller-than-commercially-available stem to position him bolt upright.  The handlebars were festooned with a home-made lighting system, a traditional 2" round bell, and a large bulb horn that looked (and sounded) like it had come off a Model T Ford—and may well have.  He had a pair of wire baskets mounted on each side of the rear wheel, like saddle bags.  Each of the baskets held a plastic two-litre soda bottle with the cap modified to accomodate a plastic tube, which was routed along the frame to the handlebars.  Who needs a Camelbak?

He had a bushy white beard in the Amish style and a hide like beef jerky.  He wore a white long-sleeved shirt with thing blue stripes (like mattress ticking) and dark trousers held up with galluses.  His trouser legs were secured over his battered clodhopper work boots with some sort of clips of his own invention.  He wore a bicycle helmet, as required by the ride organizers, but it was like something from the '60s.  He had cut the brim off a straw hat and had somehow attached it to the helmet to keep the sun out of his eyes.

The expression on his face as he rode was pure serenity.  Buddha on a bike.  

Not that I'm trying to suggest Buddha was Amish.

* Friend of about 45 years and best man at my wedding.

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2007, 7:36am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2007, 9:20am

Foo,

I have found that people who are old enough to have been through the depression, really are self reliant and don't throw anything away. Everything is about function. My dad was like that, he saved everything and would not pay for anything he could make or do himself. He reeally did not trust the gubment. This resulted in a few oddities & contraptions around our home. Once he salvaged some blood red vermillion rig paint and our house became blood red!  

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2007, 9:55am

Brightroom has the Collin Classic photos up, and there were some good ones.  Just none of me.  Seems like if the exposure, focus, framing, and depth of field are perfect, the photo is marred by some giant truck.  (I do remember that one making the photogal laugh out loud, so that's a plus.)

Others:

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007, 9:58am by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2007, 12:20pm

Foo,

Good pics! The trike guy is Mike Ross and the bare foot guy is the ever present hippie dude. Pedaling merrily along to the next smoke break. Notce the blue thing in his basket. Thats his helment and smoke holder. I didn't see his pic anywhere but I did see Mark Colleti at the ride. He usually wears a Jelly Bean jersey.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2007, 12:23pm

One more thing. How did your tongue get hung on the cable?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2007, 5:16pm

If Mark's who I think he is, he had a ton of photos.  And my tongue isn't hung on anything.  That's my Gene Simmons impression.  

Or coughing up a hairball.  I forget which.

WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2007, 10:19pm

Hey Foo:  Your guess at Robert.j wasn't quite right - try this one:
http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?PID=&EVENTID=19554&PWD=&am p;ID=37092710&FROM=browser&START=571&SHOW=15&CAT=0&SUB=0
or:
http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?PID=&EVENTID=19554&PWD=&am p;ID=37096376&FROM=browser&START=3061&SHOW=15&CAT=0&SUB=0
I'm following behind my cousin who complains about all his aches and pains but won't give in to the obvious solution to get a bent!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2007, 8:53am

Denial is a powerful thing, isn't it, Robert?   Roll Eyes

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2007, 11:45am

Sorry about the mistaken identity, Robert.  I wonder who the other guy was, then?  He and I chatted several times while trading positions, but my social skills are somewhat lacking and I didn't do introductions.

WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2007, 11:57am

Quote from FooRider on Jun 19th, 2007, 11:45am:
Sorry about the mistaken identity, Robert.  I wonder who the other guy was, then?  He and I chatted several times while trading positions, but my social skills are somewhat lacking and I didn't do introductions.

Don't feel bad; I misidentified artcat at the White Rock ride. If we all took our helmets off, I'd recognize no one........

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2007, 9:31am

Is this one of you guys?

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2007, 11:04am

That's Bob McClure (sp?). Catch him if you can!

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2007, 4:54pm

Yeah, Bob HATES to have somebody right on his rear wheel....   Grin Grin Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1