Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 2:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TTTT course test ride - May 28 (Read 4600 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: TTTT course test ride - May 28
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2007, 6:03pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 29th, 2007, 4:17pm:
Quote from aikigreg on May 29th, 2007, 3:51pm:
We've decided on the 24 hour 4 man team. I'm not going up against John Schlitter!

I thought we were leaning toward the Tejas 500 with a 4 man recumbent team. If no rbenters are doing the 500 mile race, we don't need the campsite Thursday night (the 36 hour start for the 500 mile race is 5:00 am, Friday morning).

It looks to me like we might have enough interested riders to ride in several different categories.

I thought they were the same race!  D'oh!  I'm a dummy.  Tejas 500 it is then!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #16 - May 29th, 2007, 9:52pm

Cool on the 500, definitely what I'd be interested in, only 120 or 140 miles each!  I wouldn't worry about times too much,  and I certainly wouldn't worry about comparing to any of the Killer B's, as they are semi-professionals, and certainly have always been great racers. The conditions could range from great to down right hellish depending on the weather, and thus preset times are a poorer gauge than your own perceived effort level, just give it all you can without blowing up.  the conditions can even change from lap to lap significantly with weather, wind, and darkness making comparisons difficult.  Fortunately it is the same for each team, and thus the head to head race is the interesting part.  Records and times can be hard things to gauge your success or failure on. Just my thoughts....

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #17 - May 29th, 2007, 10:05pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 29th, 2007, 9:52pm:
Cool on the 500, definitely what I'd be interested in, only 120 or 140 miles each! I wouldn't worry about times too much, and I certainly wouldn't worry about comparing to any of the Killer B's, as they are semi-professionals, and certainly have always been great racers. The conditions could range from great to down right hellish depending on the weather, and thus preset times are a poorer gauge than your own perceived effort level, just give it all you can without blowing up. the conditions can even change from lap to lap significantly with weather, wind, and darkness making comparisons difficult. Fortunately it is the same for each team, and thus the head to head race is the interesting part. Records and times can be hard things to gauge your success or failure on. Just my thoughts....

Take Care,
Nelson.

Good points. I guess a lap timer is just a pretty stark reminder of our limitations. Not much to be done about that except keep training.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #18 - May 29th, 2007, 10:21pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 29th, 2007, 10:47am:
nevermind - I went through the rules for the race today and they preclude much of what I'd like to see. No support staff allowed on the course or the team is DQ'd.

Gregg....is Alexis going with you?

Rose

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #19 - May 29th, 2007, 10:21pm

Quote from terranimo on May 29th, 2007, 2:23pm:
I think Bud has a good idea. Because the long drive from Dallas, I will think about planning a few Friday night camping trips this summer at Cleburne State Park so people can get up and pedal the course at dark thirty before it gets too hot.

I need to find out what restrictions they have on Camping at the park. Like how many cars and tents per campsite. Otherwise maybe I will camp-out at the church and give a thankyou offering in the mailbox.

Im at a point in life where an RV is starting to interest me. Unfortunately they depreciate almost as quickly as Computers so Im hesitant. There is a company in Austin that will do custom Dodge Sprinter conversions.
http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_dyo-sr.html

Terry

The state park has an 8 people, two vehicle limit on most campsites. There are sites for larger groups, but they usually get booked far ahead of time. We used to camp a lot when the kids were young, but haven't in many years. We don't even have a tent right now, but might be able to borrow a popup camper. I figure we can handle details like that later; I just wanted to make sure we got at least one campsite on TTTT weekend before they all got taken.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2007, 4:12pm

Keep in mind that the last couple of years, the weather SUCKED during the TTTT -- cold, north winds...   GDB Animal Greg Blanks of Team Assassin was throwing down 20mph times for their 500-mile 4 man -- anything resembling that in the same weather is bordering on superhuman.

HOWEVER -- I'm glad to hear your reports on it -- it makes me more comfortable with the concept of participating somehow -- I just wish it wasn't so expensive!!!   Sorry I didn't come out, but dat's de way it go...

Good idea, Bud, to have a "home base"

I'll copy and post the GDB Team Assassin blognotes about their ride this last year...

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print