Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 12:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Armadillo Ride (Read 656 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Armadillo Ride
May 14th, 2007, 4:07pm

This ride takes place in Liberty Hill just Noth of Austin every year.  Last year I did the 70 miler and darn near died.  This year I decided to go for the full 105.  It's difficult enough that they run it a bit like hotter N hell - if you're not at the "Dillo Door" within 2.5 hours they turn you onto the 50 mile route.  Almost no traffic at alll except for the main drags inand out of town.

There was a nice couple next to us unloading their bikes at the same time.  We were exchanging talkes when she asked us how far we were riding.  When I told her I was doing the 105 she pointed at the P-38 and said, "you're doing it on THAT?"   Cheesy   She and her Hubbie were also doing the 105.  I finished about 40 minutes ahead of them.   Grin  It was so sweet walking up them them after lunch and a shower and a change of clothes to see them just pulling up to their car.  "Hey, you guys finally made it!"   Cool

It's a tough route to say the least.  All rolling hills and very little flat.  Constant elevation changes, some 10-15% hills,  with one 10 mile stretch of moderate speed killing incline.  Should have ended up with a little more elvation as Muenster, but over 105 miles instead of 60.  

My plan had been to finish at right around 17mph on the bike with little break time.  I mostly managed that.  I started out in the front with the fast riders, and din't get passed too often.  Going up those long hills I passed the time by letting pacelines start to go around me, and then whipping into the middle to slow them down and let them pull me up the hill.  Once we'd crest I'd slam it into overdrive and hit 30 and be gone before they could react.  Sometimes I'd get a brave soul to break away and chase me, so I had a few great 35mph sprints.  The comments were very amusing.  

Had some low points though.  A guy out riding his horse was backing it up, and when the horse turned it saw me.  I don't know what it is about horses and bents, but they guy came within an inch of being thrown.  I heard later from some riders behind me that the guy was decidedly not happy.   There were also two low water crossings after a series of cattle guards.  I unclipped and sat up so that I could just tiptoe across, but some DFer had the bright idea to try and ride across and fell.  I had to turn my wheel to avoid him, which hit a patch of algae and slid.  I tried to stand up and my foot hit another patch, and down I went.  Absolutely drenched and embarrassed.  Didn't even get a scratch though.  The last 20 miles were brutal.  The worst hills and the most elevation gain.  My stomach was cramping from heat and an all carb diet.  I'm going to have to either adjust my mix or eat something solid halfway through the ride.  Had to sit at the last rest stop 7 miles out to wait for the pukies to go away, which hurt my overall time a bit.

If you don't mind making the trip though, it's absolutely worth it.  The wildflowers were spectacular because of the rain, and it's VERY well supported, with stops about every 7 miles.  They had the usual stuff plus free gel packs, cliff shot blocks, german sausage at a couple, PB&J everywhere, free chapstick, etc.  Showers were free at the school as well - it's great to not have to stink up the car on the drive back.  This year they gave tote bags instead of t-shirts too, which was nice.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print