Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 30th, 2024, 5:32pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB Airport Ride - May 12th (Read 1222 times)
Bud_Bent

GDB Airport Ride - May 12th
May 12th, 2007, 9:42pm

I did the GDB Airport Ride today. Paul wasn't able to make it, but Mike (mschwitz in the yahoo group) brought his Corsa, so there were two bents. This time of year, the ride starts at 8:00 am, and the shopping center parking lot it starts in is west of Preston, across the street from where it used to start.

It was a nice turnout as always, and a beautiful morning, although it got pretty warm and humid later. The wind stayed fairly light. It was the usual trip out to the store, with traffic lights breaking the group into several smaller groups. Mike and I talked and hung out at the back most of the way, speeding up a bit and moving up later.

When we left the store for the airport loop, I kind of got caught up in the middle of the group and let a small lead group get out in front a ways, but then sped up and rode with them the rest of the loop. This group kept a fairly fast pace, but believe it or not, I took the sprints at both the water tower and end of the loop.

Mike was among those who headed back after the loop, but 8 of us stayed for a second loop. We did this loop at a much more relaxed pace. We didn't get far into the loop before I heard the unmistakable sound of a tube blowing, then the dreaded hiss. It was my front tire. I didn't find anything in the tire; it looked like a pinch flat. With plenty of help, it was fixed quickly, and the rest of the ride went fine.

I ended up with 69.6 miles with an average speed of 17.3 mph. The biggest thing I noticed was how much better than last year I was able to hold my speed on the short hills on this ride. I guess all that riding up Texas Plume is helping. With only 1538 feet of climbing, and light winds, it was fun to ride this speedy course again. Traffic lights and stop signs were the only things to slow you down today.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2007, 9:46pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: GDB Airport Ride - May 12th
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2007, 9:55pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 12th, 2007, 9:42pm:
but believe it or not, I took the sprints at both the water tower and end of the loop..

Grin Grin Grin  Congrats, Bud -- they're gonna start to get a complex about recumbents...   Last time I did the airport, I did the very same thing to 'em!!!!!

Sorry to miss the ride...  I probably won't be back on it until after Memorial Day weekend.  I'm planning to do Plano East nextt Saturday, because we're planning to "sneak" onto the back of the Wildflower Ride so we can go across the Lake Lavon dam...

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2007, 8:23am

Wow!  Nice job, Bud!  That ought to tell you how far you've come, because back in November or December you were talking about wanting to avoid rides that had 1800 feet of climbing.  This one had near that and you said it was "only 1538 feet"   Grin

We'll get you that polka dotted King of the Mountain jersey before long!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007, 4:35pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 14th, 2007, 8:23am:
Wow! Nice job, Bud! That ought to tell you how far you've come, because back in November or December you were talking about wanting to avoid rides that had 1800 feet of climbing. This one had near that and you said it was "only 1538 feet" Grin

We'll get you that polka dotted King of the Mountain jersey before long!

1500 feet in 70 miles isn't much. That 1800 feet for a Weatherford to Lipan FWBA route I looked up on routeslip.com was just 45 miles, and the actual climbing always seems to be considerably more than routeslip.com shows.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print