Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 30th, 2024, 4:53pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LSR 163k Populaire - May 6th (Read 1676 times)
Bud_Bent

LSR 163k Populaire - May 6th
May 6th, 2007, 6:04pm

This Lone Star Randonneurs' ride started at the corner of Danieldale and Clark Road in Duncanville, went south through Cedar Hill and Midlothian, then west to its first control stop at Maypearl, then on to Covington for the second stop. Then, it reversed the route for another stop at Maypearl, then back to Duncanville. The roads were low traffic, with only a few rough spots. I thought it was a very good route.

Since I had never done a 100 mile ride, I decided I'd better pace myself for the first three legs of this ride, then see if I had enough left to speed up a bit for the last leg. I used my heart rate monitor to pace myself, trying keep my heart rate under 160 on climbs, and under 150 the rest of the time. That worked out well. I still managed to stay in the front half of the riders, and though I kept a little faster pace than I intended on much of the third leg, just to keep riders in front of me in sight, I still felt good enough after three legs that I sped up and rode with the lead group for the last leg. Jorge pulled into the finish first, and I was right on his wheel.

This group takes time to regroup and chat at all the control stops, and as always, was one of the friendliest group of riders I've seen. I also met Kwijybow, and rode with him quite a bit. Nice to finally meet you, Nelson!

I ended up with 101.3 miles, at a 16.7 mph average, and an average heart rate of 141. My gps recorded 3618 feet of climbing. It didn't really seem like that much. I guess that's because there are no really brutal hills on this route, and lots of flats. My max heart rate for the ride was 173. I can't remember the last club ride I did without a higher heart rate than that. I guess that's why I had energy at the end. There is probably something to be said for pacing yourself well.

I enjoy riding with this group enough, I guess I should join and tackle a 200k brevet. If I can ride 100 miles, I can ride 128 miles, right?

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2007, 6:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: LSR 163k Populaire - May 6th
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007, 8:10pm

That's a totally sweet first century, when you realize you still had gas in the tank and kept up a 17mph average.  I did 50 miles today with the Austin Cycling Club and stayed on the leaders whether they were at 18 or 28 - made no difference.  They couldn't create enough of a gap on me to drop me, and the incredibly stiff wind kept them from setting too high a pace for me to maintain.  I even beat them all up the climbs, thanks to our Thursday night rides.  Ended with an 18mph average myself.   Can't wait to be back in Austin Next weekend for a very hilly century.

Congrats Bud!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2007, 8:21pm

Bud what is the GPS you use?  Is it the Garmin Edge 305?

Thanks,
Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2007, 8:52pm

Quote from terranimo on May 8th, 2007, 8:21pm:
Bud what is the GPS you use? Is it the Garmin Edge 305?

Thanks,
Terry

Yes, it's the Edge 305, an awesome training gps.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2007, 9:12pm

I was looking at the Garmin site.  I really like this GPS.  I wish it had more navigating features.  I havnt realized how beneficial it is knowing heart rate data.  It on my get list for next month.  Smiley

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2007, 9:42pm

There's just too much for one gps to do. You can get one that's great for navigating, or one that's great for training, or one that's kind of good at both, but you can't get one that's great at both. Mine is for training, and that's what the Edge 305 does well.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print