Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 30th, 2024, 8:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muenster Rally (Read 2738 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Muenster Rally
Apr 30th, 2007, 9:22am

It was an INCREDIBLE ride.  

1900 in attendance, and Bud and I were at the back of the 100k pack. Took quite a while to get towards the front of the pack, even adding in a near 50m/hr descent on the first big downhill. Lots of really good cyclists out there, and it took a lot of work to keep the pacelines from dogging us too much.  There was one dude on a trike with yellow foam wheelfairings that was cutting through the lines like a hot knife through butter, and Bud and I stayed on his heels until he fell behind us the first big hill.  We saw Eddie too, being a traitor and riding a df! Smiley

We saw no bents once we got towards the front of the groups, though one Aero passed us while we were taking a break at the 40mi rest stop and we never saw him again, so he either stayed ahead or we leapfrogged him at a rest stop we passed.

We spent miles 40-60 playing tag with a spinning instructor with short shorts and a tied-up tank top so you could see her belly button ring.  Took some of the sting out those ridiculously big hills.  There was MAYBE a half mile of flat road the entire 100k.  It was tough enough that I started to hate the downhills because I knew I was just gonna have to climb back up the darn things.

Lots of great scenery, including a little stopover in a small downtown that had buildings from the late 1800s, a farm that had a Cadillac Ranch thing going but with Volkwagon Beetles instead of caddies, and bicycle art along one fence out in the middle of nowhere.

The route was tough. I had thought all the tough hills were in the first 20 miles, so when we stood at 20mph average for that section, I thought we were the nuts. I had a cow when he hit a couple WALLS later in the ride. We still made it up all the hills though - many roadies were walking, and one was kneeling and puking their guts out.  I'll swear I about to black out once or twice myself.

The great thing, was that the rally price came with free admission to the germanfest and 2 free beers, or in my case, 1 beer and 1 margarita. Coupled with a couple bratwursts, it turned out to be a great post-ride good time. The people were extremely friendly. Walking into the festival grounds someone gave us extra drink tickets they couldn't use (maybe we just look like we needed a drink badly!), and We got hit on twice.  After spending all my money on brats, I didn't know I couldn't use my drink tickets in the food tent,  and when I wanted a tea, I discovered I didn't have any more cash on me, and someone in the crowd just handed a fistful of change to Bud for me.

My wife joined us at the food pavillion when I started into the second brat, which i handed over.  After Bud left we went back for a brat and veggie plate (ummm, red cabbage saurkraut) , followed up with some strudel.  We hung around talking to people and taking in the scene until 6pm or so.

Just a great day all around. These rallies are really nice when you have something to do afterwards other than load the bikes and go home.

I'll close out the report with a pic of Bud I snapped at mile 40.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Muenster Rally
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007, 12:01pm

It was a fun ride, but it was, indeed, some tough climbing on a recumbent. It was 2700 feet of climbing on the 100k route, but it felt like more, because of the way it laid out. I learned early on that the best way to climb a hill on a recumbent is to use your downhill speed advantage to take a run at it on the downhill leading to it, then hold speed as long as you easily can going up the hill. Of course, that doesn't work for a hill that's preceded by a long flat, or a long uphill that's preceded by just a short downhill. And that's what this ride had so much of: a short downhill followed by a longer uphill. Of course, that would gain you elevation, but then you'd give it all back in one big downhill, then it would be back to short downhills followed by longer uphills. So Greg and I kept passing uprights on the downhills, then getting passed back on the uphills. I've never seen 5 mph on my bike so many times in a ride. Even after such a fast start, I only ended up with a 17.0 mph average.

I had my doubts about getting up a few of the hills, especially toward the end, and it didn't make it easier seeing so many riders walking their bikes, or laying beside the road. It was some good hill training, and I can see I need more.

There were lots of law enforcement people and volunteers all along the route. I thought they did a really good job, and everyone was very friendly. All in all, I thought it was a great ride. I'll do it again next year, but I'll make sure I've done my share of hill training beforehand, again.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2007, 9:09am

We haven't heard from the others who did this ride. How many miles did you do, Eddie? Did you handle the hills ok? Ken, was that you I saw at the beginning next to the trike? Anyone else ride?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2007, 11:11am

I did the 100k on my Strada and had a great time. Had to walk up part of one hill because I stopped to help a poor DF that cramped and fell over right in front of me. Say, did anyone else see a pig carcass on the side of the road at mile 32? Haven't seen that before. Ahhhh, country cycling....

sstexex

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2007, 12:03pm

Quote from sstexex on May 1st, 2007, 11:11am:
I did the 100k on my Strada and had a great time. Had to walk up part of one hill because I stopped to help a poor DF that cramped and fell over right in front of me. Say, did anyone else see a pig carcass on the side of the road at mile 32? Haven't seen that before. Ahhhh, country cycling....

sstexex

As a matter of fact, I do remember that pig.  

I'm still surprised at the number of riders who didn't make it up hills. Somewhere just past the halfway point, I mashed a bit too hard going up a hill and felt the beginning of a cramp. I knew then that spinning was my only choice for going up the hills, and made sure to keep my cadence up after that.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2007, 12:04pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2007, 9:40pm

I did the 100K at Muenster and at times felt like like I was back in the Hill Country. My GPS shows just over 3000 ft of climbing on the 100K route. Only the Aledo ride had more climbing of the DFW area rides so far this year. I made it up all of the hills(slowly) but I've had a lot of hill practice this year.

I saw Bud and Greg flying by near the beginning but never saw them again. I talked to Eddie at the beginning and at the rest stop just before the 40 mi. turn off. He was riding a DF and claiming it was faster than his recumbent! There were a couple of fast trike riders there but I think they both did the shorter rides. I also saw John Sadowsky at the beginning. There were 6 other recumbents that I saw from a distance - a pretty impressive turn out for the laid back folks.

The festival at the end was fun. A couple of Widmers and some brats really hit the spot.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2007, 10:26pm

The aledo route had more climbing?  Are you sure?  Because I was MUCH more wiped out at the muenster ride, and I know for sure I'm in better shape, and it was 15 miles shorter than the Moritz....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2007, 9:56pm

The Aledo route was over 4000 ft according to the same GPS I used at Muenster. I was more wiped out at Aledo by far.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2007, 10:57pm

Of course, feeling more wiped out might be explained by the 15.5mph average I did at Aledo, and the fact that Bud and I were near 21mph after the first hour of biking Muenster.... Shocked

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2007, 9:23am

Sounds like Tyler's B&Beast -- glad/sorry I missed it!!!!!!!   Wink

Way to represent, boyz.....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"