Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 8:03pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
RBENT and the 2007 Hotter-N-Hell 100 (Read 15277 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

RBENT and the 2007 Hotter-N-Hell 100
Apr 26th, 2007, 4:52pm

We are an informal bicycling club.  But I would like us be a little more organized for HH100-2007.   Some people rent out rooms for the Event.  It would be cool if their was a decent home with in reasonable proximity of the starting area that would be recumbent HQ for the event.  Someplace we could meet on Friday night without having to get up at 2:00AM Saturday morning and driving to Wichita Falls.   If anyone else thinks this is a good idea let me know and I will do a little research to see what oppurtunities we have available.

FYI Hotter-N-Hell is a annual event in Wichita Falls TX in August.  Its a really recumbent-friendly event.  There is no seriously steep  hills to pedal.  A easy few low-grade long accents/descents.  Recumbents start FIRST @7:00AM upfront with the tandems (and after the USCF racers).   this event (and the BP MS150) are the largest bicycle rallys in Texas.  

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: RBENT and the 2007 Hotter-N-Hell 100
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2007, 9:34pm

Yeah, it might be wise to reserve something early. Greg said he found a motel room right before the ride last year, but you probably can't count on that.

I'm game for sharing something. If nothing else, we could get a several motel rooms next to each other.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007, 9:36pm

Yeah I'll be attempting a sub 5 hour century again.  This time I should make it povided I can get 5 degrees cooler!  I did it in 4:45 min on bike time last year, but I had heat exhaustion and had to sit indoors for 45 minutes....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2007, 10:58pm

The last time I did HHH was back in '05, which was the first time I finished. It was also the ride I went to on the bike, ride to the ride, ride the ride, and ride home. I admit I was taking the idea to an absurd extreme in this case. But it was the only one I finished to date.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2007, 10:07pm

I'll make a suggestion on a place to stay and it's FREE.  The Lamar Baptist Church is only about a mile and a half from the start.  I stayed there last year and it was great.  Wonderful showers etc and had security 24/7.  It wasn't near full either.  I couldn't believe it.  I and 3 others have signed up. You can find info about it at the HHH website, but I can post it tomorrow if there is interest.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2007, 4:29am

This is perfect!  I declare this location as the official 2007 HH100 RBENT Barracks!    Anyone second this motion?

From the hh100.org website:

Quote:
The Lamar Baptist Recreation Center offers accommodations at No Charge. Email brady@lbcwf.org or call the main church office at 940-723-4371. The extension is 17 for after-hours voicemail. The Family Activities Center is located at 2109 Tenth Street, although the building faces 11th

I sent brady@lbcwf.org an email.

Smiley
Terry

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2007, 4:39am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2007, 9:12am

I  believe that this is a location where you sleep on the gym floor...???  However, the proximity to everything is definitely a plus, as is the price!!!!!

I'm planning to attend, don't know about Terrie -- she'll probably make the trip, but may not ride.

My "on the bike" time was 5:30 last year, so I don't really see attempting to match Greg's sub-5 hours...  But, if by some chance it's 10 degrees cooler...

Paul

107deg.jpg

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2007, 9:13am

However, don't forget the unofficial RBENT Club Meeting here at Mile 98   Grin

98th_Mile.jpg

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2007, 12:27pm

Well, I'm not counting my chickens yet, but if it's less than a 100 degrees it should be a shoe-in.  Last year I only had gel and water.  This year I'll have a carb drink and electrolytes as well, a lighter bike and hopefully a stronger body.  

But my time was 4:45 on bike last year - total time at 6 hours with all the stopping and recovering from heatstroke that I had to do.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2007, 12:49pm

Theres a good chance I will make the HHH this year. Is the gym airconditioned?? Sounds like a good deal. With a cot or air mattress it won't be too bad..provided the snoring is kept to a minimum Grin.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2007, 1:25pm

Yes Paul, it is sleeping on the gym floor.  But, they had the floor covered with high density carpet if I recall correctly, so it's not like cold concrete.  Yes Richard, it is air-conditioned very well.  They went so far as to tape out a grid and had assigned spots for all who registered.  Each spot was plenty big so it wasn't like being crammed in a sardine can.  There were cots and air mattresses being used.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2007, 3:06pm

I have been tentatively given permission to attend by the family CFO, if I find some way to get there and back. Anyone up for the RRR option to HHH? I have 2 potential routes already mapped out, one a 3 day RRR and the other a 5 day. The 5 day option goes through Sherman and requires a stop at the Mission Oaks Nursing Home to visit with the residents there. I haven't scouted the ride from Sherman to WF on US 82 all the way, but I have seen the part from Nocona to Henrietta and it's not bad. You have to get on US 287 to get to WF

The 3 day option is just a ride out US 380 to US 287 and then into WF. I have only been able to scout this one as far as Mckinney to Denton on 380 recently, I have been the entire distance but not recently, last time was 2004. Time before that I went out with Bob, the guy that rides the Flying Bannana Rotator with the Coroplast fairing (sorry Bob, your last name has escaped my damaged brain) along the same route after Denton. Anyway the 3 day RRR is to leave Parker Road station way early in the AM on the Friday before, ride to McKinney up TX5, hang a left on US 380 to Decatur, and a right on US 287 and ride that puppy all the way to Wichita Falls. 287 will take us right downtown and almost right into the MPEC for our Packets. On the way back the plan is to stop in Henrietta for breakfast on either route.  

If anybody is interested post a reply or start another thread.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2007, 5:38pm

Im interested in discussing the three day option.  Is Hwy-287 Big enough and Bike friendly for us?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2007, 3:20pm

287 looked pretty good back in 2004, last time I saw it. The section from US82 in Henrietta to Wichita Falls was pretty good in 2005 except for the construction going on back then. From Decatur to WF has mostly rolling hills and wide shoulders. I have Google Earth now, the close up views look pretty good for most of the route. The only dicey part of the route is the transit of Denton. I haven't had any chance to scout this part either in a bike or by motor vehicle.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2007, 11:12am

We need to get a T-shirt for the RRR to HHH. Just the name alone is funky cool.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #15 - May 11th, 2007, 3:52pm

That could be one miserably hot three+ days, guys...   Tongue cry  But, what the heck...

Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - May 11th, 2007, 6:04pm

Y'all are more gung ho than me. I want to drive down Friday night, share a room with someone, and set the ac thermostat on about 40.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #17 - May 11th, 2007, 6:45pm

Sounds like we can be roomies.  Having actually DONE the 100 miler, I plan on staying in the same hotel and hitting the breakfast buffet.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2007, 4:23pm

Bud are you going to stay in Wichita Falls Saturday night?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2007, 9:14pm

Quote from terranimo on May 12th, 2007, 4:23pm:
Bud are you going to stay in Wichita Falls Saturday night?

No, I figured on driving home after the ride.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2007, 4:50pm

Regarding accomodations at the Lamar Babtist Church -- the contact is now Susan@lbcwf.org
Paul

Quote:
The Lamar Baptist Recreation Center offers accommodations at No Charge. Email brady@lbcwf.org or call the main church office at 940-723-4371. The extension is 17 for after-hours voicemail. The Family Activities Center is located at 2109 Tenth Street, although the building faces 11th .  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2007, 5:09pm

A return email from Susan, at Lamar...  email her for your own registration attachment.
Paul

"Yes we still have room. We have a full size gym that we section off for each person. The space allows you enough room for your bag, sleeping bag/cot and bike. We sleep the women upstairs in the aerobic room. You will have access to showers, ice and a microwave. We will provide you a map that shows how to get from our facility to the race. We are 1.78 miles from the race start. ( 6 minutes driving time) And there is no cost to stay here.I have sent an attachment for you to register if you want. I need one for each person. That is so we have a correct security list. We will also have church staff here the whole time to help keep an eye on things and monitor all people entering the building. You can e-mail it back or FAX it. "

Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2007, 5:18am

Paul, thanks for the update on who to contact at Lamar Baptist Church.  I had emailed the guy (who coordinated this last year) a couple of months ago, but hadn't heard anything.  I was getting ready to call up there, then saw your post.  I'm in, along with my bro-in-law and his son-in law.  Folks, I stayed here last year and it was great.  They had the gym COLD.  They had more than enough security.  I couldn't understand why that place was only half full last year.  For free, you can't beat it.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2007, 1:51pm

DJ, it looks like they do not supply food of any sort --   What do you recommend for obtaining dinner the night before, and something for breakfast that morning???    

Paul

Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2007, 2:07pm

I went to eat at Chili's up there because they had a manager transfer there from the one in Burleson where both my kids work, just to say hi and see how he was doing.  For breakfast, I think I took some fruit, bagels and a couple of Pop Tarts and heated them up in the micro wave, which is in the little dining area outside of the gym.  There is a Sonic about a half a block from the gym, but I don't recall if they do breakfast there.   I made sure to get a large chocolate malt for the drive home.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2007, 7:30pm

I've emailed my form to reserve my spot on the gym floor. Do we use our bikes for a pillow?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2007, 10:33pm

Richard I have been reading all the postings and I am going to the HHH but I haven't decided which bike to ride yet but if you need someone to ride with I am riding 100k so I better start training on my recumbent these other guys are talking 5hr rides It might take me six  I am proply staying at the chapperell camp with some friends don't know yet it comes with two meals a bed and showers I have a bad back you know the hard floor at the church might not work for me but the price is right.  

Eddie

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #27 - Jul 17th, 2007, 10:53pm

Eddie,

I'll bet we could go 16-18 for 50 miles if the wind doesnt' whip up. Then just ride on until we finish or something blows. You gotta go 98 miles at least to get to that special rest stop. This will be an entirely new adventure for me. Some of the others have done it many times. John S. about 20, right John? I don't really know what to expect. I guess thats why it is so interesting to me. I  get to test myself and see if reality lines up with what's inside my head. I'm going to stay at Lamar Avenue church. That should be fun too. Several of the RBENT gang will be there.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #28 - Jul 18th, 2007, 5:22am

Eddie, I know what you mean by bad back.  I've got a Coleman air mattress, full size, and it's great.  I wouldn't/couldn't do the floor on a little skimpy pad.  I've had the air mattress 4 or 5 years now.  I use it on tours, just pump it up till it's just right and it's been as good as sleeping at home.  Not much $ either.  Look forward to meeting you at HHH.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Chapparal
Reply #29 - Jul 18th, 2007, 9:07am

Eddie, I stayed at Chapparal last year, along with Lynn and John Cox...  It's a good place, although the A/C in the dorm wasn't up to the 107 degree temps.  It's about 10 miles outside of town, so you'll have to deal with parking at HHH that next morning early on, which was...  (understatement warning!).... a bit tricky.   However, the food is excellent, both for dinner the night before and early breakfast.   The dorm bunk beds have your standard 3" thick foam mattress on top of plywood...

Paul

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #30 - Jul 18th, 2007, 9:10am

Quote from Richard on Jul 17th, 2007, 10:53pm:
Eddie,
I'll bet we could go 16-18 for 50 miles if the wind doesnt' whip up. Then just ride on until we finish or something blows.

The south/southwest tailwind is great, through the first 50+ miles.  What'll hit you is when you turn south from Hell's Gate...

Richard

rbent member

Reply #31 - Jul 18th, 2007, 9:55am

Eddie & All,

I hope we can all group together at the start just to promote RBENT.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

How many times
Reply #32 - Jul 18th, 2007, 12:23pm

I looked it up and my first HHH was in 1988. I missed one year because of work and one (just one) year I drove up the night before.
My routine is to get up at 3:00 a.m. and drive up. Any body want to go up with me?
JS

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #33 - Jul 19th, 2007, 1:55pm

I was in line with Lynn Morrow (P-38) last year, and the registration guy asked her, "And how many times have you ridden HHH?"  She said, "Gosh, I think it's 24 of the 25!!!"

Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #34 - Jul 19th, 2007, 6:40pm

Richard are telling me that you are going for the 100mi route?  I did it once before my accident on a road bike when I was in good shape and it was hard I don't think I could finish 100mi  let me know i'm sure you all will  
 and I am all ready in a list to stay at the ranch  
Eddie

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: How many times
Reply #35 - Jul 19th, 2007, 6:43pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Jul 18th, 2007, 12:23pm:
My routine is to get up at 3:00 a.m. and drive up. Any body want to go up with me?

From Richardson?  I did that in 2004, except we left Lewisville at 3:30a.  I've been assuming that I couldn't pull that off from Allen, but now you've got me thinking...

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: How many times
Reply #36 - Jul 19th, 2007, 9:57pm

Quote from FooRider on Jul 19th, 2007, 6:43pm:
Quote from jcsadowski on Jul 18th, 2007, 12:23pm:

From Richardson?  I did that in 2004, except we left Lewisville at 3:30a.  I've been assuming that I couldn't pull that off from Allen, but now you've got me thinking...

The Strada routine...a 2 night stay at the Hampton Inn in Burburnett. After 100 miles,we would have EARNED it.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #37 - Jul 20th, 2007, 7:40pm

Ya know, if you have an RV, or access to one, you can stay at the MPEC for $15/night w hookups. That's cheap and VERY convenient!! Of course, there's the $100 of gas for the drive up and back.... Sad

Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 3:05pm

Eddie, I guess it all depends on how long it takes to get to Hells Gate and how the wind blows. I usually judge by how my legs feel at the last place to turn off. At this point, from my comfy air conditioned office, I am going to attempt the 100m. Still have a few weeks to condition.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Aug 4th, 2007, 4:25am

Is anyone driving to HnH friday night and who would like to car-pool?
Im sleeping at Hope Baptist Church.

If yes to the above, then please consider car pooling with me to HnH.  I could pop my Draftmaster unto the back of your car.  It would have no problem hauling both of our recumbents.  I would put your recumbent on the center rail where I haul the EZ tandem.  

Otherwise we could consider taking my Jeep.  But it gets only about 17mpg on the highway.

My cell phone number is 469-853-4015

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #40 - Aug 7th, 2007, 12:48pm

Does anyone have a spot for a ride up for me and my bike (wouldn't make much sense to go without the bike)? I was going to do the RRR but I got stuck in TN without a bike for a month with people dragging me to their favorite "all you can eat - we dare you" restaraunts sometimes twice a day (I gained 3 whole pounds). So my fitness for the 380 mile round trip is suspect at best.

I still have my food budget for the RRR that I can use for gas.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Aug 7th, 2007, 10:46pm

Hey Opus, Im willing to drive.  We would need to split to cost of gas.  My jeep only gets about 15-17 miles per gallon.  And Im looking to go Friday Night and stay free at Hope Baptist Church (the RBent Barracks).  My draft master can haul your LWB without any problems.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Aug 7th, 2007, 11:50pm

I alredy paid for the spaghetti supper at the MPEC. Will I be able to make that?

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Aug 8th, 2007, 3:45am

What time is the Spag Dinner?  We could leave ASAP friday after work.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2007, 1:45am

I believe it starts at 5, I know it ends at 9. The pasta is better about 8, I heard.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #45 - Aug 13th, 2007, 4:41pm

Here's how they cook it... Smiley

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #46 - Aug 13th, 2007, 4:43pm

Lynn Morrow and I will be carpooling (in her truck), leaving around noonish on Friday.  She said she wanted to be able to sleep on the way back   Grin

bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #47 - Aug 14th, 2007, 6:20am

Greg (and anyone else going),

While I'm not going this year, here's a benchmark.  I rode the HHh100 last year non-stop with John Schlitter and the Bacchetta Team with an avg speed of 22.80, and I think my time was around 4:20.  I carried two 100 oz bladders (one in my Fastback and the other behind the seat.  I also carried two watter bottles with Perpeteum.  John Schlitter finished in under 4 hours for a record, so while I think my 4:20 time was great, he blew me away.  He caught the Cat 4 racers who left 30 minutes prior to the recumbents (who stage at the front with the Tandems).  The USCF officials weren't to happy, and I heard that they are going to widen the gap this year, basically because of the Bacchetta Team racers.  

Have a great time, fighting through 10,000 (mostly, new) riders.  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #48 - Aug 14th, 2007, 9:48am

Impressive, Ray.  Maybe I could have done that 20 years ago!
Y'all be careful at the HHH.  Last year I did the 50 miler, finished about 10:40.  It was 99 degrees when I crossed the line.  They shut down Hell's Gate at about 11:00 and sent subsequent riders back a shorter route.  You needed to average over 16 mph to get thru the Gate and continue the 100 mile route.  Lots of riders were down with heat problems.
Actually the last 25+ miles headed into the wind was the best part for us bent riders.  Because the wind was in your face it was cooler, and it was great passing all those DFers who were really struggling.  If you do less than the 100 mile route you get routed thru the Air Force base, which was pretty cool as you actually cross the tarmac or runway and they had their planes all displayed along with a lot of the ordinance.  Take some time taking some pics and give a word of encouragement to all the airmen.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #49 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:04am

Ray:  They're doing the road races on Friday this year - John really did 'em a number!

I had an average of 23mph with no stops when I crossed hell's gate last year, but I had zero knowledge of nutrition.  I had only brought a gel flask and plain water, and I started shutting down at about mile 70.  

This year I'll be carrying the flask along with 600 or so extra calories of a mix  and electrolytes.  Hopefully that'll keep me from bonking.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #50 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:06am

How many recumbent riders were there last year? Since I haven't ridden it before, whatever time I get will be my HHH best.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #51 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:25am

Bud, I guess about 100-150 bents and quite a few tandems.  You get to start at the front.  Most bents I've ever seen in one place.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #52 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:30am

Bud,  

This would be a good opportunity to increase public awareness and interest in bents/RBENT in particular.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #53 - Aug 14th, 2007, 12:33pm

Yeah, at least a couple hundred bents, and the 200 roadies who kept sneaking amongst us to get the early start  Cheesy

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #54 - Aug 14th, 2007, 2:06pm

Here are some pics from last year...  Bob McClure and I got interviewed on local WF TV before the start...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #55 - Aug 17th, 2007, 9:52am

One nice thing about the church camp 10 miles outside of town was their breakfast, and supply of ice.  Since they're not supplying food at the Lamar church, what are people planning to take and/or do for breakfast?  Does anyone know if Lamar provides ice and water???

Pual

Richard

rbent member

Reply #56 - Aug 17th, 2007, 10:33am

I am planning to take an ice chest and some cold grub for Sat morning. I may make a pot of tail gate coffee too. I plan to eat out Friday night, if that is possible with 10,000 people in town. Maybe we could do a group meal Friday night.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #57 - Aug 17th, 2007, 10:59am

I don't recall Lamar providing any extras last year.  I'm doing like I did last year and bring my own stuff for breakfast & snacks.  Richard is doing it right too.  I'm for eating out, but it would probably be wise to hit it on the early side.  D J

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #58 - Aug 17th, 2007, 11:26am

You mean everyone's not doing the spaghetti dinner Friday night?

As for breakfast, if I can claw my way to one of the microwave ovens, I'm having oatmeal. If not, granola bars will have to do.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007, 11:27am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #59 - Aug 17th, 2007, 1:23pm

I'm planning to hit the spaghetti dinner on Friday, just not sure at what time...  We'll have to try to coordinate, somehow, although it'll be tough getting extended table space!  Worth a shot, though...

DJ, does Lamar provide ice and water in the morning????

Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #60 - Aug 17th, 2007, 3:33pm

Paul, I don't recall them providing any ice last year but you can get water.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #61 - Aug 17th, 2007, 8:17pm

I got may packet back today! I'm 2816. I'll be at the dinner Friday night, and maybe hang out in the consumer show a bit before retiring to my palacial accomodations in my tent, and hitting the Luby's breakfast in the pre-dawn dark. I'm starting with the Keepers that's the third group back from the USCF racers at the front and the second group behind the bridge.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #62 - Aug 18th, 2007, 10:58pm

Has anyone else noticed that they no longer have the recumbents starting with the tandems?  

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #63 - Aug 19th, 2007, 6:44pm

Quote from catroad254 on Aug 18th, 2007, 10:58pm:
Has anyone else noticed that they no longer have the recumbents starting with the tandems?

Ken

This page on the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred website shows the recumbents and tandems starting together at 7:00 am.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #64 - Aug 19th, 2007, 8:27pm

That page is the only remnant left. If you look at the "official maps" they only show tandems at the front.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #65 - Aug 19th, 2007, 8:40pm

I don't recall ever seeing the recumbents mentioned on the maps. Anybody else remember different?

Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #66 - Aug 19th, 2007, 8:43pm

Do they inforce the start positions or are they just guidelines?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #67 - Aug 19th, 2007, 8:50pm

OK I answered my own question. The map doesn't mention bents, however the HHH website under "shedule" states the recumbents start with the tandems.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #68 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 5:52pm

Here's a question for those who've been there. On Saturday morning, would it be easier to drive to the overflow parking north of the Bridwell Center, then ride to the start from north of all the riders, rather than riding all the way from the Lamar Family Activities Center?

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2007, 5:53pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #69 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 7:37pm

That's what I'd do. Sure beats trying to get up to the start from the South.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #70 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:18pm

Driving and parking is VERY chaotic the morning of the ride...  I'm planning to determine a "back streets" way to get to the starting point, with Lynn's help.

robert.j

rbent member

Reply #71 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:20pm

The map, to the best of my memory, has NEVER mentioned recumbents, but they do start at the front.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #72 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:33pm

Based on last year's experience,throw the maps/plans out the window because when Saturday morning rolls around, there is no plan when it comes to parking. You park where you are directed to park or you see the first decent looking place to park.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #73 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:26pm

Last year was my first HHH and riding to the start from Lamar Baptist Church was a non-issue.  Not a big deal at all.  I was figuring on rolling over there about 6 AM.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #74 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 1:27pm

Im good to go!   Today I made my reservation at the RBENT Barraks and Bunk House (AKA Lamar Baptist Church).  they where full but had a few cancellations.  I picking up Mr Poet around 1:00 and hope to be on site in Whicita Falls around 4:00PM

Looking at the map.  Getting to the start line from the Barraks.  If we take 11th or 10th east to Burnett St.  Then left on Burrent heading North accross the river to Warren street.  Right on Warren heading east past the Bridwell Ag Center to Scott Street right where the tandems & recumbents start..  This would keep us from having to push through the crowd along Scott Street.

Terry

Lamar_to_HH100.jpg

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #75 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 5:08pm

Good map -- I say we all follow DJ...   Wink   Since it'll still be DARK when we roll out!!!!

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #76 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:16pm

Rolling out around 5:30 or 6 is great - I want to make sure I'm there quickly enough to sunscreen, eat gel, and pee, and be at the front of the line.

Incidentally, there are several restaurants near the church according to yahoo. including a golden corral (my pick) and an applebees, as well as two mexican restaurants - Don Jose and El Mejicano.  

What say you all?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #77 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:53pm

Golden Corral is nice and roomy and has a good selection of food. Why don't we do that?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #78 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:56pm

nevermind, as the one is is supposedly going to be done first, I've made an executive decision.  We're eating at the golden corral.  Less likely to be smokers like there is at IHOP, plus a wide array of food choices and free desserts!  It's only 2.7 miles from the church.  My cell phone number is 682-465-5424  Addrsss is  

3812 Kemp.  Here are diecrtions from the church:

1.      Start at 2109 10TH ST, WICHITA FALLS going toward TYLER ST       go 0.4 mi       0.4 mi        
2.      Turn LEFT on KEMP BLVD      go 2.3 mi      2.7 mi        
3.      Arrive at 3812 KEMP BLVD, WICHITA FALLS

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #79 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:35pm

Let me say good luck to all riders(regardless of distance) and God speed. See you in WF's!!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #80 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:09pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:35pm:
Let me say good luck to all riders(regardless of distance) and God speed. See you in WF's!!!!

+1

Everyone be safe and have fun!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #81 - Aug 24th, 2007, 8:00am

Good Job Greg.   RBENT is like a Cowboy in the wild wild west.  No Sheriff in town!  Its is all about stepping up taking charge!  Round up them Dawgies!

What time is dinner at Golden Corral?  During the afternoon, I need to drop off Opus at the AG camping spot then Im going to be checking out the exhibits at MPEC.  So I will need to head back to the Church or go to Golden Corral.  RBENT is not some sappy democratic consensus club.  

Terry

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2007, 8:44am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #82 - Aug 24th, 2007, 10:07am

Last year, I finished the 100 at around 2PM...  which included (and will again include) at least 30 minutes at the Beer Stop.  Cooling off, getting back to the church, etc., we're probably looking at 4:30 or 5:00PM....

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print