Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 4:43pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texas Hill Country (Read 2589 times)
catroad254

rbent member

Texas Hill Country
Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:28pm

I had a wonderful time last week on a bike tour through the hill country. I rode a wandering loop from Austin to Fredericksburg and back. The total mileage was 343 with 23,000 ft of climbing over 5 days of riding. I don't think there was a flat stretch anywhere on the route. The worst climb was 15% immediately followed by a 12% from a standing start - there was a stream crossing right before the climb. After this trip the hills around here look a lot smaller.

From what I've seen of Texas this may be the most beautiful area - particularly this time of year with all of the wildflowers blooming. If you haven't done any riding in the hill country, you owe it to yourself to add it to your gotta do its.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Texas Hill Country
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:07pm

It is wonderful riding down there.  That much climbing in the morning without a warm-up makes me puke, but after that it's a wonderful time!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007, 6:21am

You didn't bring back photos? Who put on the tour?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007, 2:04pm

Give us more info about this hill-country tour.  Was it a group tour?  Who sponsored it?  Or was it something you did on your own?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2007, 9:03pm

This was a group tour put on by Adventure Cycling Association. The route was laid out by the Austin Cycling Association. The tour is supported as far as carrying luggage and providing meals with camping at night. The attached picture tells the story of some of the climbs (assuming I've figured out how to attach pictures).

Ken

P4200075s.jpg
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2007, 9:04am

Sounds like a blast to me!  Post a link or let us know when this is coming up next year - I'd love to go!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2007, 9:23am

Ken what recumbent model are you riding? How did you fair on all that climbing?  I agree with Greg, this would be a good ride.  I really enjoy those up-down roller coaster hills like the one in the photo.  You blast down hill and build up a 35-40mph speed, then charge up the next hill!  Sometimes you can maintain enough speed and avoid having to drop into a lower chain ring.    

I found the link for this years ride:  http://www.adv-cycling.org/tours/2007texashillcountry.cfm

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2007, 9:04pm

I'm riding a Bacchetta Cafe. I made it up all but two hills on the last day. I just didn't have much left in the tank on the last day. I have an 11-34 cassette and can climb OK in the lower gears. The tough part about the hill in the picture is that there is a stream crossing at the bottom that is deep enough and slimy enough that you really do want to stop and wade through. The climb is much harder from a standing stop. Where I took the picture is only a quarter of the way up the hill. There were some good stretchs of rollers that you could blast down and get most of the way up the next hill - those are the most fun.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2007, 7:05am

A fellow recumbent rider from Midland, TX, posted a nice review of the hill country ride on his blog, The Fire Ant Gazette.  Check it out.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FireAnt

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2007, 9:03am

Foo, thanks for the link. The Easter Hill Country Tour has been a regular part of our cycling calendar for 20+ years (the past 8 or 9 on a 'bent tandem – a Ryan Duplex).

A lot of those hills look alike, but the photo posted above very much resembles the big downhill (well, uphill, in this case) on Lower Crabapple Road, a few miles north of F'burg.

Eric

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print