Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 30th, 2024, 7:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thursday Evening Texas Wheels Ride (Read 3167 times)
Bud_Bent

Thursday Evening Texas Wheels Ride
Apr 19th, 2007, 9:33pm

I may never get fast enough to keep up with these guys, but chasing them has to be good training.

31.7 miles, 1,047 feet if climbing, 159 average heart rate, 19.4 mph average speed, and a 3 mile sprint at the end to stay ahead of two roadies. I'm toast....

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Re: Thursday Evening Texas Wheels Ride
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2007, 11:25pm

I got butter and jelly to go with that toast!   Roll Eyes

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2007, 6:47am

I gotta get my Heart rate monitor working.  Mine ended up at 18.6 aveage, which is a PB by far on the P-38, and I'm still getting dropped like a hot rock.

Maybe we need to just dust the heck out of them early in the ride.  That long flat stretch against the wind should let us get some distance when we hit that first big hill.  They'd catch up to us on the plume, but at least we'd be able to keep the in sight - might spur us to beat their butts.

BTW - did you see the tangle ridge golf course when I pointed out the sign?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2007, 9:13am

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 20th, 2007, 6:47am:
I gotta get my Heart rate monitor working.  Mine ended up at 18.6 aveage, which is a PB by far on the P-38, and I'm still getting dropped like a hot rock.

Maybe we need to just dust the heck out of them early in the ride.  That long flat stretch against the wind should let us get some distance when we hit that first big hill.  They'd catch up to us on the plume, but at least we'd be able to keep the in sight - might spur us to beat their butts.

BTW - did you see the tangle ridge golf course when I pointed out the sign?

I expect if we made an early attack, the paceline would just ratchet it up and reel us in; I'm not fast enough to stay ahead of these guys when they're in a paceline.  That's the way recumbent racers like John Schlitter beat the uprights, though, leave them behind on the flats, then hang on on the climbs. I just ain't there yet.

Of course, you may be able to stay with them when you get your Tica. My average now is about 2 1/2 mph slower than the paceline, and yours is about 3 mph slower. You could very well gain that much with the Tica.

Heart monitors work pretty well for gaging your effort. When those two roadies came up behind me, my first effort to stay ahead was too much; I could see my heart rate was going to reach max, so I backed off one gear, to keep it 10 or 12 below max, figuring I could hold that the rest of the ride, and so I did. And while they did get my wheel after I slowed, they weren't able to get past me.

I saw the Tangleridge sign. If we used that as a starting point, though, we'd miss that first wonderful hill (unless we went down it, then turned around).

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:23am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2007, 10:14am

There's a hill or two on the way out of the golf course.  And we could always do the Plume twice Smiley

btw - I spotted a couple Q-rings on ebay - might snag them.   I'm still thinking the fll rotors might be best.  I hate to add the weight, but even the nocom and vk2 racers use them....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2007, 10:25am

I think for 30 miles the tica should let me pick up enough speed to hang with them, or come close.  When I sold the baron I was averaging 18 when I was by myself with no competition.  At the Hotter than Hell it was 22mph in the 110* heat.  Given that the TICA is lighter, lower, and even more laid back I should be much faster.   And once garrie makes the wheel covers and CF boom and tiller, I should be lighter and more aero still.

By comparison my average on the p-38 by myself is 15-16, and now at 18-18.5 when "competing"  I should easily be able to see a 3mph increase on the lighter modern bike.  I hope so - I'm tired of seeing you able to take a wrong turn, have to turn around, and still be able to cruise effortlessly past me!   Tongue

Not to mention I should be 5 pounds lighter withing a few weeks as well, God willing.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2007, 9:17pm

Mark Metcalfe decided the paceline was too slow tonight, and took off ahead of them. I guess when you get as good as he is, you do different things on rides to entertain yourself.

Doing a repeating route with the Edge gps makes it easy to track your progress (or lack thereof). I've ridden this Texas Wheels route 3 times now.

1st = 18.4 mph avg with 155 avg heart rate
2nd = 19.4 mph avg with 159 avg heart rate
3rd = 19.5 mph avg with 156 avg heart rate

Only a .1 gain in mph on tonight's ride, but with a heart rate average that was 3 less than last week, so I guess that's still progress. If I could get my mph average over 20 on this route, I'd feel better about my chances of doing a Texas Time Trial loop in less than an hour. I have a ways to go to get there.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2007, 9:25pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2007, 9:11am

I think the heart rate is definitely telling.  As you breathe easier on the route, more RPM ought to result.  Even though I stayed with the pack most of the way to Texas Plume, I still averaged less last night than last week.  I think partly because I didn't reset my computer after the slower 6 mile warm-up I did on the dam, and partly because I was carb depleted.  I only had about 20 grams of carbs yesterday.  Trying to lose a bit of this blubber that just won't seem to let go!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2007, 1:44pm

Hey Bud,

Just  a note about age. Unless these guys are near your age (I magine they are much younger) what you are able to do is far more impressive. At 54 I am physically only a fraction of what I was even 10 years ago. If you are hanging with 20s & 30s for distance and speed that is KICK BUTT!

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2007, 9:43pm

Well, I really can't hang with this group, but yes, many are younger. I just started riding less than 3 years ago, and ramped up pretty slowly, so I'm still improving. If I had a riding experience from 10 years ago to compare, I'm sure I'd be on the down slide, too.

I've seen some 50's and even 60's riders that are very fast, so I know it's not impossible. I think it just gets harder and harder to do as you get older, and if you were in peak form in younger years, you'll never match it at our age. I was never there, so I'm still learning what I can do.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2007, 11:47pm

BS.  Maybe you don't see it from your own perspective, but you're easily the most improved rider I've seen .  What you've acheived as a speed increase in a year has been nothing short of incredible.   I have no doubt that withing another year you'll be smoking all those guys!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print