Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 11:47am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rbent shorts (Read 2769 times)
Bud_Bent

rbent shorts
Mar 16th, 2007, 8:25pm

I'm not sure if there's much interest in this or not; I'll just throw it out there. Greg and others had told me that rowing shorts were great for recumbent riding, so this week I ordered two pairs from Sew Sporty. Lycra rowing shorts like the DryFlex shorts I ordered, are just like any other lycra compression shorts, except they have double material in back. That's a nice place for double material for rowers, and recumbent riders, too.

I don't wear cycling shorts, so I can't compare the DryFlex shorts to them. What I can compare them to is the Insport lycra compression shorts I've been wearing on my bike for a couple of years. For those who haven't seen the Insport shorts (I'm wearing them in the Corsa photo in the Bud's Bikes thread in the Photos forum), they are long, almost-to-the-knee, compression running shorts, that look pretty much like cycling shorts, but don't have padding. The size large DryFlex shorts fit both Rose and I. They fit bigger than the size large Insport shorts. They aren't loose, but there isn't nearly as much stretching going on as there was with the Insport shorts. They are also about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the Insport shorts. The lycra in front seems a bit lighter than the Insport shorts, but of course the double material makes the lycra in back heavier than the Insport shorts. Because they aren't padded, I've always worn thin athletic briefs under the Insport shorts (tmi?), and feel like they are needed under the DryFlex shorts, as well.

I rode with the DryFlex shorts today, and think I am really going to like them as recumbent shorts. The solid black ones are just $24.50 from Sew Sporty. Sew Sporty does lots of team stuff with logos, so I sent them the two logos below, and asked for a price for putting one on the lower left leg of shorts. This would not be a large logo, just a small one, probably the size of the crossed oars shown on some shorts on Sew Sporty's shorts page.

There would be a $30 one time setup charge, then you could get the logo on pretty much anything Sew Sporty makes for $5 more than the price shown on their site (they don't make cycling specific clothes, so I'm not sure I would want anything other than shorts). That means, if we made a group order of 10 pairs of DryFlex shorts with a logo, they would cost us $32.50 for each pair, but you could later order individual pairs with the logo for $29.50, or anything else with the logo for $5 more than the price shown on the site. They also have less expensive, 55% cotton rowing shorts.

How about replies from those who might be interested? We would only be able to use one of the logos below (unless we paid a second $30 setup fee), so if you are interested, let us know which logo you like better, in your message, or make suggestions for changes.

Here's a third possibility, although the rbent might come out too small to read.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007, 9:21pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: rbent shorts
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007, 10:48pm

That sounds like a great idea to me!  I'm in.  We could also check out JL racing, who make the shorts that I wear.  Yuo'll have to let me check out your new ones when you're not wearing them so I can compare  Grin

The ones from JL racing feel like a second skin of microfiber - very comfy and silky-smooth like fabric.  They're a little more expensive than the ones you bought, but still cheaper than most any bike shorts.

http://www.jlracing.com/page.php?page=index

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2007, 1:50pm

I think we need some shorts to go with the jersey from a few years back. Do they come with pockets? My RBENT jersey doesn't have any pockets, and I need someplace to keep my ID and gels.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2007, 10:19pm

Opus,
No, there's no pockets. They are just like lycra cycling shorts, except no pads, and a double fabric seat.

Greg,
Those JL Racing shorts do look like better shorts. It looks like their charges for logos is similar to Sew Sporty.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:20pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2007, 10:28pm

I wore mine today - since they're thinner, I hadn't worn them since last October.  I will say that on my gargantuan quads, they creep up my legs so I end up flashing some thigh after pedaling for a few minutes - they don't have "grippers" the way bike shorts do and so don't stay in place like bike shorts do.  How about the ones from sew sporty?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2007, 9:13pm

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 17th, 2007, 10:28pm:
I wore mine today - since they're thinner, I hadn't worn them since last October. I will say that on my gargantuan quads, they creep up my legs so I end up flashing some thigh after pedaling for a few minutes - they don't have "grippers" the way bike shorts do and so don't stay in place like bike shorts do. How about the ones from sew sporty?

Yes, the Sew Sporty shorts ride up a bit, too. I figured it was just because they fit me looser than the Insport shorts, but it may be the material, too.

They are more comfortable than the Insport shorts, but if you want compression support out of your shorts, they may not be as good at that.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2007, 4:45pm

That's a nice find, and a nice idea, Bud...  especially with the cheap custom embroider.   Seems like one could set up an EBay page, and....    Grin

I could be in the market for a pair, my C9 Target shorts are losing their stretch after a couple years.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print