Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 6:52pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FWBA Aledo ride (Read 3006 times)
robert.j

rbent member

FWBA Aledo ride
Mar 10th, 2007, 4:43pm

Got my sorry rear out of bed this morning and went out to ride with the FWBA from the west side of Fort Worth to Aledo.  First time to ride with that group.  Opted for the shortest ride offered, 30 miles, as I'm just not in shape for 50+ mile rides yet, especially if there's hills.  NO other recumbents, but a lot of people asked me about mine.  Always up for touting the virtues of recumbents.  The ride was reasonably hilly, with a couple of 35+mph downhills.  The feature of the ride was "The Wall," a short but VERY steep hill west(?) of Aledo.  I took one look at it and knew there was no way I could pedal to the top, but of course, I had to try.  Made it about 20% of the way up and couldn't keep my speed up enough to stay vertical.  Ended up walking the rest.  That was hard enough!
Started cramping a little about 18 miles out, and from there on would cramp on uphills or anytime I tried to put a little extra effort into the ride.  Not bad cramps, but enough to make me slow down a little.  Ended up doing 36 miles, followed by several hours of yard work once I got home (yuck!).
Overall a decent ride, roads had plenty of bad spots, but the FWBA folks are friendly and they do a great job of taking care of peoples' flats and other problems.  I suspect I'll try to ride with them some more.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: FWBA Aledo ride
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2007, 9:16pm

FWBA often does another ride out of Aledo. I need to ride that one more this year. Tomorrow, I'm planning on doing the FWBA Let's go see Lillian ride that starts in west Arlington.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2007, 10:27am

I'm going to have to try that "wall" on my bike. Since I got the new 24 tooth granny gear and 11-34 cassette I haven't really been challenged by any of the "hills" on this side of town unless I choose not to use lower gears (training method climb in a tall gear and cruise in a short one and spin the heck out of it). I'm riding in a 75" gear most of the time now.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2007, 11:30am

Robert

I have had a powerful cramp in my right calf on several occasions. Seemed not to be ralated to the strenght of the push but how long I rode. I started taking a potassium supplement or just eating a bannana and have not had one since. I take a bp med with a diuretic so I loose a lot of potassium any way.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2007, 12:01pm

Quote from Richard on Mar 12th, 2007, 11:30am:
Robert

I have had a powerful cramp in my right calf on several occasions. Seemed not to be ralated to the strenght of the push but how long I rode. I started taking a potassium supplement or just eating a bannana and have not had one since. I take a bp med with a diuretic so I loose a lot of potassium any way.

Richard

When I first started riding, I got leg cramps, not only when I rode, but at night, too. I added a banana a day to my diet, and we switched to Morton Lite Salt, which has potassium added, and I've not had cramps since.

As I go for longer and harder rides, I'll probably be adding an electrolyte supplement with potassium, too.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2007, 8:27pm

Thanks for all the suggestions re cramps.  Unfortunately, I've tried all these things plus many more, and though I've had some success in postponing cramps, I've never been able to get rid of them completely.  I eat a banana every day, and before any ride of more than 10 miles or so, take calcium, potassium and salt tablets, along with drinking electrolytes during the ride.  Last year's MS150 is the first time EVER I've ridden more than 60 miles without cramping.  All of the above plus stopping and stretching at all the rest stops seems to have done the trick.  The last two miles of the second day I cramped up big time, but managed to finish.
Used to get calf cramps but fixed that by moving the boom in on my bent.  Something of a trade off between calf cramps and thigh cramps.
Keep the suggestions coming though!
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2007, 10:34am

Do you take a statin?

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2007, 8:57pm

I've been having problems specifically on the p-38 only - I'm getting left leg calf cramps, which is weird.  Either my left leg is a different length and I've never noticed it, or I'm sitting more on one side of my body than the other, or something else I haven't thought of.  I know my gastroc muscle is much weaker on my left side and I'm dealing with that, but odd that it never caused me any problems until this year.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2007, 8:08am

No statin drugs.  The drug I take to control cholesterol is biking!  Take a low level antibiotic to control prostate problems but that's it.  I've had trouble with cramping all the way back to high school days, so I suspect it's just some genetic thing that I can only have a limited effect on.
Also, I've found moving the boom in or out even as small an amount as 1/8 inch can have noticable effects on calf cramps.  The trade-off is more pressure on the knees, but I seem to handle that OK.  My cramps always begin on the left side, too, presumably because those are weaker muscles for us right-handed people.  The fact that you're only experiencing the cramps on one bike would lead me to believe there's some small change that needs to be made in your setup.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print