Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 2:51am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Fort Davis photo (Read 6272 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Fort Davis photo
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:42pm

Me on the flat part of the 75 mile Fort Davis loop west of Fort Davis.

1st_20_miles_2_crop.jpg

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: Fort Davis photo
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2007, 4:12pm

Hey Robert,

Is the loop you were referring to bounded by 17, 118, & 166? I have been contemplating a trip out there all year. I have driven from Alpine to Study Butte many times, I would like to do it on my bent or maybe the loop you did.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2007, 9:50pm

That's the one!  75 miles, 5280' of climbing.  Not "bent-friendly" but what the heck, I still think it's the best ride in Texas, though I've never finished it on my bent.  Cramps get me every time around the 50 mile mark.  And the steepest hills are after the 50 mile mark!  Only time I've actually finished it was 4 years ago on my upright, but even then had to walk up several hills after the 52 mile cramps set in.  The last time out on my old Actionbent I made it up the first big pass, about a 10 mile climb, with the last couple of miles in my lowest gear, 4.5 mph and maxed out at 163 heart rate.  But didn't have to get off and walk.  That climb was followed by a long, FUN, downhill, but sitting coasting for several miles was probably not the thing to do as I stiffened up a lot after the descent.  If you can make it all the way around, the descent from McDonald observatory to Ft. Davis is incredible, but there is one turn that's a little tricky -pay attention to the signs telling cars to slow to 20 mph.  My best friend in Midland crashed there this year and broke an elbow, but that was better than going off the side of the mountain.  I'll likely go next year.  It's usually the next to the last weekend of September.  The website that used to have the map and profile no longer has those things.  You might contact Peyton's Bikes in Midland, who sponsors the ride, and see if they've got that data and could send it your way.  I've also done the Ft. Davis to Alpine and back route (50 miles).  Much more tame than the loop, but still scenic with a couple of significant climbs.  I'm sure I've driven the Alpine - Study Butte route, but don't remember it well.  Maybe 100 miles, probably no killer climbs like the loop.
One last thing to be aware of: there is no support anywhere along the route if you're out there by yourself.  No gas stations, houses, no cell phone coverage, nothing.  The Cyclefest in September is well supported however.  And, the last time I was there, 2 years ago, there were a lot of bents from Houston, maybe 15 or more.  I passed them all going up the first pass and talked with several of them.  Nice folks all!
http://www.peytonsbikes.com/

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2007, 10:01pm

That looks like some great hill training. And Rose's family is all in Midland. I feel a road trip coming on......

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2007, 9:49am

Bud,

Rose is from Midland? I grew up in Odessa. Went to many football games there. Rose are you a Rebel?  That part of the west is the land of sun, wind, sand and crystal blue skies. I wasn't into bents then but it is flat, flat, flat. Perfect for a bent.  

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2007, 9:51am

Robert,

I have been itching to do the Sept ride out there. Maybe all the stars will align and 2008 will be the year.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2007, 12:10pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 28th, 2007, 9:49am:
Bud,

Rose is from Midland? I grew up in Odessa. Went to many football games there. Rose are you a Rebel? That part of the west is the land of sun, wind, sand and crystal blue skies. I wasn't into bents then but it is flat, flat, flat. Perfect for a bent.

Richard

Yes, she's from Midland. But as I recall, she's a Midland High grad, not a Rebel. I lived in Midland from 1983 to 1990.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2007, 4:24pm

Bud,

I lived in Odessa then, graduated from UT peanut butter in 87 some 16 years after high school. It took me a while.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2007, 6:36pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 27th, 2007, 4:12pm:
Hey Robert,

Is the loop you were referring to bounded by 17, 118, & 166? I have been contemplating a trip out there all year. I have driven from Alpine to Study Butte many times, I would like to do it on my bent or maybe the loop you did.

Richard

Study Butte & Terlinqua RULE(the Longhorn Ranch Motel-)!!  I(we) love the big bend area. Actually,Mrs Strada & I have thought about getting a group of 'bents together to ride around the Big Bend area(Alpine,Ft.Davis,etc..). I know we have maps of bike routes in the area.  

Robert,awesome picture!! I(we) miss the Big Bend area. Man,I'm jealous that you rode that area! Speaking of the area,the movie "No country for old men"(which is a VERY EXCELLENT movie) was shot in/around the Marfa area.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2007, 7:44pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 28th, 2007, 4:24pm:
Bud,

I lived in Odessa then, graduated from UT peanut butter in 87 some 16 years after high school. It took me a while.

LOL @ UT peanut butter. We were out there at the same time. I worked for LTV at a pipe yard between Midland and Odessa, met Rose in Midland in 1985 and we were married in February, 1986. Four years later, with LTV's future not looking too good, I jumped ship and took a job in Dallas. I think Rose is related to one third of Midland's population.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2007, 7:46pm

Quote from Strada177 on Nov 28th, 2007, 6:36pm:

Study Butte & Terlinqua RULE(the Longhorn Ranch Motel-)!! I(we) love the big bend area. Actually,Mrs Strada & I have thought about getting a group of 'bents together to ride around the Big Bend area(Alpine,Ft.Davis,etc..). I know we have maps of bike routes in the area.

Robert,awesome picture!! I(we) miss the Big Bend area. Man,I'm jealous that you rode that area! Speaking of the area,the movie "No country for old men"(which is a VERY EXCELLENT movie) was shot in/around the Marfa area.

That sounds like a super trip.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2007, 9:18pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 28th, 2007, 12:10pm:
Quote from Richard on Nov 28th, 2007, 9:49am:
Bud,

Rose is from Midland? I grew up in Odessa. Went to many football games there. Rose are you a Rebel? That part of the west is the land of sun, wind, sand and crystal blue skies. I wasn't into bents then but it is flat, flat, flat. Perfect for a bent.

Richard

Yes, she's from Midland. But as I recall, she's a Midland High grad, not a Rebel. I lived in Midland from 1983 to 1990.

I graduated from Mildand High..1977! Im a Bulldog!!  I harldy ever went to the football games...just a few!  And on a windy day..watch out..you could get a mouth full of sand!  Your right...flat land...flat, I wouldnt mind taking my bike out and show off!!  I was born and raised there...left when Bud got him a job here in DFW area.  I think half town is realted to me..as Bud says Smiley

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2007, 7:43am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 28th, 2007, 7:46pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Nov 28th, 2007, 6:36pm:

Study Butte & Terlinqua RULE(the Longhorn Ranch Motel-)!! I(we) love the big bend area. Actually,Mrs Strada & I have thought about getting a group of 'bents together to ride around the Big Bend area(Alpine,Ft.Davis,etc..). I know we have maps of bike routes in the area.

That sounds like a super trip.

Oh yeah. That would be so much fun. It's on the Stradas "to do" list.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2007, 1:00pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 27th, 2007, 10:01pm:
That looks like some great hill training. And Rose's family is all in Midland. I feel a road trip coming on......

No, this is the ride the hill training is FOR!  It's about 7.5 hour drive from here to Ft. Davis, so a doable trip.  I spent 15 years in Midland.  Great place.  Lots of memories there.  The pastor of our church there (Doug Lamb, Fannin Terrace Baptist) is who convinced me to get bent.  We both purchased Actionbent Tidal Waves - I think he had a Sun originally.  As far as I know we were the only two bents in the area.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2007, 9:14am

Robert,

When did you live in Midland? Big Bend was my play area for many years. It is the most beautiful part of Texas. I back packed in the mountains ( froze my buns off one winter) many times. I camped right on the river at the southern tip of the park one time also. Talk about remote. Soaked my tired bones in hot springs a couple of times too.  Funny how so many of us came from the Permian Basin. I moved to the metromess looking for a job like many others after the bust in the 80s. I do still miss the place a bit.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked  Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2007, 11:23am

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am:

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

Whew!  44 mph downhill on Goatneck Hill(during the time trials)was fast enough for me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2007, 1:15pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:14am:
Robert,

When did you live in Midland? Big Bend was my play area for many years. It is the most beautiful part of Texas. I back packed in the mountains ( froze my buns off one winter) many times. I camped right on the river at the southern tip of the park one time also. Talk about remote. Soaked my tired bones in hot springs a couple of times too.  Funny how so many of us came from the Permian Basin. I moved to the metromess looking for a job like many others after the bust in the 80s. I do still miss the place a bit.

I lived there from 1990-2005.  Worked for Burlington Resources, Parker & Parsley and Vintage Petroleum.  I was a serious biker in Houston previous to that and was dissappointed Midland did't have a larger bike community.  What was there mostly (not all, to be fair) just catered to racers (and still does, IMO).  Despite Midland being one of the friendliest places in the world, for some reason that didn't seem to be true with the bikers.    I lost interest in riding by myself all the time and didn't really start picking it back up till 2002 when a friend of mine who jogged had to switch to biking becasue of joint pains.  We talked some other friends into buying bikes and eventually had a group of 5 guys that could ride together most of the time.  Funny how riding by myself now seems to be just fine!?  Didn't go down to Big Bend very often (it IS remote!) but spent plenty of time in the Fort Davis-Balmorrhea area.  Everyone needs to take a dip in the 48 degree springs in Balmorrhea at least once in their lives!
I am a native Fort Worther, however, and have lots of family here, so was glad to move back after 27 years.  And it's a far superior place for biking - much more variety and plenty of clubs and friendly types to ride with.  There are no 45 mph downhills in Midland - though there are plenty of 10 mph into-the-wind routes!! Tongue

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #18 - Nov 30th, 2007, 5:51pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am:

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

I've hit 55 before my butt puckered and I hit the brakes.  At that speed, a bug hit my hand and hurt enogh that I almost took a hand off the tiller of the baron.  It was a nice long mountain run in Kerrville with no side roads to send a car into me.  It'd take a special hill for me to attempt over 45 though.

The 80 tooth is coming soon as I get a carbon fiber boom for the tica, though!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2007, 7:46pm

Well if we're turning this thread to all time speed records, mine is 65mph, as indicated on an old avocet computer back when I was in my 20's and racing all the time.  This was on the +20% grade near where my mom lives.  I still go down that hill when I'm there, but my now 43 old nerves start capping it in the mid 50's which is ridiculously easy to hit on the Bacchetta.  The road turns up again fast enough at the bottom to pull a few G's kinda like a roller coaster, which is always fun as well.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:37am

I'm with Steve - 43 on the TTTT downhill was good enough for me, although in the heat of the moment, if I could have gone faster I would have!!!!   Shocked  lips sealed

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print