Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 5:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fort Davis photo (Read 6275 times)
Richard

rbent member

Re: Fort Davis photo
Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked  Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2007, 11:23am

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am:

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

Whew!  44 mph downhill on Goatneck Hill(during the time trials)was fast enough for me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2007, 1:15pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:14am:
Robert,

When did you live in Midland? Big Bend was my play area for many years. It is the most beautiful part of Texas. I back packed in the mountains ( froze my buns off one winter) many times. I camped right on the river at the southern tip of the park one time also. Talk about remote. Soaked my tired bones in hot springs a couple of times too.  Funny how so many of us came from the Permian Basin. I moved to the metromess looking for a job like many others after the bust in the 80s. I do still miss the place a bit.

I lived there from 1990-2005.  Worked for Burlington Resources, Parker & Parsley and Vintage Petroleum.  I was a serious biker in Houston previous to that and was dissappointed Midland did't have a larger bike community.  What was there mostly (not all, to be fair) just catered to racers (and still does, IMO).  Despite Midland being one of the friendliest places in the world, for some reason that didn't seem to be true with the bikers.    I lost interest in riding by myself all the time and didn't really start picking it back up till 2002 when a friend of mine who jogged had to switch to biking becasue of joint pains.  We talked some other friends into buying bikes and eventually had a group of 5 guys that could ride together most of the time.  Funny how riding by myself now seems to be just fine!?  Didn't go down to Big Bend very often (it IS remote!) but spent plenty of time in the Fort Davis-Balmorrhea area.  Everyone needs to take a dip in the 48 degree springs in Balmorrhea at least once in their lives!
I am a native Fort Worther, however, and have lots of family here, so was glad to move back after 27 years.  And it's a far superior place for biking - much more variety and plenty of clubs and friendly types to ride with.  There are no 45 mph downhills in Midland - though there are plenty of 10 mph into-the-wind routes!! Tongue

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #18 - Nov 30th, 2007, 5:51pm

Quote from Richard on Nov 30th, 2007, 9:26am:

Greg

I was reading some posts about Cyclefest and one guy said he reached 64 mph on one of the downhills! Shocked Love to see what a low racer would do. Got your 80 tooth high gear yet?

I've hit 55 before my butt puckered and I hit the brakes.  At that speed, a bug hit my hand and hurt enogh that I almost took a hand off the tiller of the baron.  It was a nice long mountain run in Kerrville with no side roads to send a car into me.  It'd take a special hill for me to attempt over 45 though.

The 80 tooth is coming soon as I get a carbon fiber boom for the tica, though!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2007, 7:46pm

Well if we're turning this thread to all time speed records, mine is 65mph, as indicated on an old avocet computer back when I was in my 20's and racing all the time.  This was on the +20% grade near where my mom lives.  I still go down that hill when I'm there, but my now 43 old nerves start capping it in the mid 50's which is ridiculously easy to hit on the Bacchetta.  The road turns up again fast enough at the bottom to pull a few G's kinda like a roller coaster, which is always fun as well.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:37am

I'm with Steve - 43 on the TTTT downhill was good enough for me, although in the heat of the moment, if I could have gone faster I would have!!!!   Shocked  lips sealed

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print