Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 2:07am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bent in Big Bend? (Read 3717 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Bent in Big Bend?
Mar 6th, 2007, 3:14pm

Has anyone ridden the big bend area at all?  I've found a couple threads on other boards thanks to a hint from Bud, but if anyone here has any experience, I'd love to hear it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: Bent in Big Bend?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2007, 10:24am

Greg,

I have never ridden my bike in the area but have camped and visitied many times. There are some long stretches of road that have very little traffic. If you can catch the cacti in bloom its quite a sight. I beleive there is a bike ride near Ft Davis. They have a ride that you get a prize for just finishing! Its a very steep grade up to the observatory. I have ridden down the scenic overlook at Ft Davis national park campgrounds. Pushed the schwinn 3 speed bike up and blasted back down at 50 mph! Could have gone faster but the wheels started to vibrate and the pucker factor got really intense.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2007, 11:47am

Quote from Richard on Mar 7th, 2007, 10:24am:
Greg,

I have never ridden my bike in the area but have camped and visitied many times. There are some long stretches of road that have very little traffic. If you can catch the cacti in bloom its quite a sight. I beleive there is a bike ride near Ft Davis. They have a ride that you get a prize for just finishing! Its a very steep grade up to the observatory. I have ridden down the scenic overlook at Ft Davis national park campgrounds. Pushed the schwinn 3 speed bike up and blasted back down at 50 mph! Could have gone faster but the wheels started to vibrate and the pucker factor got really intense.

Richard

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2007, 11:49am

darn!  I wish I had my lowracer.  I'd love to break the 65mph mark.  I don't think I have the cojones to try it on the p-38.  After doing some checking, it seems that big bend is essentialy booked up.  We'll probably stay in Ft Davis or Marfa and tool around - tube down the big bend and such - and then ride in ft davis and visit carlsbad...

Quote from Richard on Mar 7th, 2007, 10:24am:
Greg,

Richard

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2007, 9:25am

Greg

The scenic overlook I spoke about is in the state park campgrounds not the national park. They are close. Also if you want to go fast there are a couple of long stretches of highway between Balmorhea and Ft Davis that are straight as an arrow and many miles in length and more than a few degrees of incline. Back in the 70s-80s those roads had almost no traffic. Did you check out Indian Lodge? I would love to ride my bent out of the mountains down to Balmorhea and camp at the springs. Hope you have a great trip!

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2007, 10:12am

Greg:  I've not ridden in Big Bend but have been to the Fort Davis Cyclefest several times.  It's a 75 mile loop that begins and ends in Fort Davis.  Some very daunting climbs, some long and steep, others steep and long!  Great scenery, usually great weather.  There are NO facilities and NO stores along the loop unless you're there during the official ride in September when it's well supported.  Only about 350 riders show up for this, which is hard to understand apart from the distance to get there, because there's no other ride like it in Texas.  It's worth the hours of near torture climbing all those mountains just for the thrill of the last 7 miles or so of very fast downhill.  Last year a recumbent club from Houston was there with maybe 15 or so bent riders.  I'd say it's not the ideal route for a bent with all the climbing, but I think some guy on a bent was second across the finish line last year.  Musta been a strong dude!
Go to www.peytonsbikes.com and click on the "Fort Davis Cyclefest and Hammerfest" link for maps, pics, profiles, etc.  This years ride will be Sept. 15-16.  I'm sure I'll go again.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2007, 12:36pm

Another ride to consider is Fort Davis to Alpine.  I think it's about 20-25 miles to Alpine.  Good roads, only one hard climb on the way back to Fort Davis.  At least some stores to reload in Alpine before heading back.
If you go to Marfa be sure and see the Marfa Lights.  Right after sundown, there's a viewing area on Hwy 90 west of town if I remember right.  No one knows for sure what they are.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2007, 12:38pm

I meant to say the Marfa Lights viewing area is EAST of town.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2007, 4:41pm

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 7th, 2007, 11:49am:
darn!  I wish I had my lowracer.  I'd love to break the 65mph mark.

How much DOES a skin graft over 1/3 your body cost, anyway????    Shocked Shocked

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2007, 6:53pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 8th, 2007, 4:41pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Mar 7th, 2007, 11:49am:
darn! I wish I had my lowracer. I'd love to break the 65mph mark.

How much DOES a skin graft over 1/3 your body cost, anyway???? Shocked Shocked

Hey, I've got insurance - that'll cover it, right?    Grin

I've been just over 55 before I hit the brakes on a long downhill at the Easter Hill Country tour.  A ladybug smacked into my knuckle and left a bruise.  After that, I figured I'd best slow up a little, since it was both my first pay ride ever and I'd only had the baron a month.  The best I've been able to get around here in 45.  Feels almost slow by comparison.   Unfortunately, that same hill only gets me to 38 on the p-38.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print