Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best climbing bike or trike? (Read 3089 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

best climbing bike or trike?
Oct 30th, 2014, 6:17pm

So, while I'm lounging around recovering from surgery, I'm starting to think about what my next bike or trike purchase should be. My surgery was for cervical spinal fusion revision surgery. I think I got the name right...it means that 6 years after getting three vertebrae in my neck fused together, I've gone back for a second helping to get an adjacent level fused to the first three. Nobody can pin down a reason for why this has happened to me (for either fusion surgery), but it does not seem to be related to any of my cycling activities. In any case, I've decided to stick to bikes/trikes that have a relatively upright, neutral seating position, and a smooth ride. Although fun, the Catrike 700 misses badly on both those points, so I'm selling it (see the marketplace post).

My other rides are the Rans V2 and Extreme. The V2 is fixed up as a commuter bike with a fairing and dyno lighting. Its pretty upright, but climbs slowly for me. The XStream has always climbed faster, might be the lighter weight, might be the ergonomic harmony of the BB and seat, I'm not sure. But whatever it is, if its an 8 mph hill for the XStream, its a 5 or 6 mph hill for the V2.

When I ride with other people, I tend to fall behind going up hills, and catch up or hold my own on the downhills and flats....thats true riding against DFs and recumbents both. So I'm looking for a ride that will let me keep up better on the hills. Although I can maintain 18 mph for a few miles, when I ride 10 miles or more I tend to average 12.5 to 14.5 mph, so I'm not a very strong rider in the first place.

So, what should my next ride be? Whats my best bet for upright seating, smooth riding, and good hill climbing?

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: best climbing bike or trike?
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2014, 7:42am

Lightning R84. (or the still light but metal P38)   I've not found anything that climbs better and I've spent a lot of time and money trying things out.   Of course bodies and bikes are different to YMMV.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2014, 2:48pm

The lightnings are pretty good, but the two best ime are the carbent and the vk2, which is a sleeper.  No one ever seems to talk about it, but some of my fastest climbs/koms are on it.  The xsrream was very good too.  The CA2 and any bike approaching that light weight seem to work well.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 10:44am

Either a P38 or a Rocket would work...  Based upon my experiences with the SWB Rocket, it's a much more "slow hill climb"-friendly machine -- much easier to hold your balance at 2-3 mph, while the Xstream would be impossible there.  Still takes some technique to keep the steering straight, but...   the Lightning would be similar.  The upright seating will hurt your upper limit speed on the flats.

Hill climbing is also very "engine dependent," of course...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 3:24pm

Take a trip over to John's in Lancaster, and test ride the Enduro Sport he has there....  it's a good price...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2014, 7:00am

Having owned two lightning bikes I have to say they are just awesome machines and climb like a freaking goat.  I owned a phantom and P-38, both bikes climb very well and perform well on the open road.  Many assume they won't go fast because of the seat incline, I assume to a degree this is true but relative to what one considers fast.  My phantom was the first bent I owned and have to say that I honestly regret letting it go(don't let my wife read this) and watch the forums for a nice used one even today.  I completed the Roanoke road rally on it averaging 18.4, this was a hilly course at the time.  I put about 3k miles on the bike and loved every minute of it, the seat angle is very comfortable unless you are riding into the wind and of course you then are at natures mercy.  The P-38 is a much faster machine and does climb a little better, while I enjoyed the bike and put lots of miles on it (7k) I'm still not convinced today that is $2k better than the phantom, I realize I could be shot for making that statement.  The p-38 delivered better top end speeds than the phantom but I also ran performance tires on it but marathon 1.5's on the phantom.

Great bikes and I would not hesitate to own either again, my passion for speed and high racers drove me away from lightning, now I wish I would have kept the phantom because it was just fun and comfortable at all times.  I also think it could make a great gravel grinder that one could ride in some of the local gravel rides that are now occurring.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2014, 5:16pm

Ok, I'll plan on finding a P38 or phantom to ride. I've been intrigued by the P38 since I discovered recumbents, and it says a lot for the bike that it's still in production

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
rowenusmc

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2014, 7:19pm

Since I live in Huntsville, AL. I am challenged by climbing often.  I want to get myself to a place where I might give RAW or RAAM a shot, but I am not a climber yet.  I have found that I climb better on my Corsa if I lower the fron end using either a 24" or a 20" wheel.  Of course I don't have a front brake when I am experimenting as such.  I have since learned that I can climb better on my Sun Sport CX but it is a slow climber.  Looking to learn more about climbing from other forum members here.  I weigh in at 200 pounds so that has to be contended with.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2014, 5:46pm

I know this is a little late, but here goes. How about a Cruzbike? Check out Maria Parker and Charlie Ollinger. They both ride Cruzbikes. Maria won RAAM last year and rode 475 miles in 24 hour lemans race. And her husband, Jim is pretty good also. I hope to own a Cruzbike in the near future. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2014, 10:17am

Quote from jrob_bent on Nov 26th, 2014, 5:46pm:
I know this is a little late, but here goes. How about a Cruzbike? Check out Maria Parker and Charlie Ollinger. They both ride Cruzbikes. Maria won RAAM last year and rode 475 miles in 24 hour lemans race. And her husband, Jim is pretty good also. I hope to own a Cruzbike in the near future. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Awesome climbing machines to say the least.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print