Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bebop pedals (Read 1573 times)
jabens

rbent member

Bebop pedals
Sep 13th, 2014, 8:15am

I received my bebop pedals in the mail and went to a bicycle shop to have them installed.  After an hour of two guys working on them, I never was able to clip into them.  I ended up purchasing SPD pedals and clipped right in.  I'm so disappointed because I really wanted the float feature of the Bebops.  Does anyone have experience with the Bebops?  I'm planning on returning them but before I do, I wanted to see if there were any suggestions? Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Bebop pedals
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2014, 1:01pm

I don't use Bebop's myself but have read several accounts of folks having difficulty getting them to work with their shoes. Sometimes they just need shimming but often the shoes themselves interfere with the cleat, preventing it from catching. This has been remedied by careful use of a Dremel tool (or other) to remove some of the material on the sole of the shoe and allow the cleat to catch. I know there have been several discussions about this over at the Bentrider  Forum and I recall at least one with photos. I would suggest you look over there. Their search mode isn't the best but you should be able to find more specific info than I can give you. When I bought my Frogs, I was told I might have trouble with the cleats but as it turned out, they went on with only some minor shimming.

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2014, 5:56pm

I love Bebops and have used them for years, but one negative for them is that it really takes a lot of force to clip in when they are new. When I got Rose her first pair, she had such a hard time clipping in, that I traded my used pair for her new ones. I could get them clipped in ok, but she couldn't.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2014, 1:53pm

I've tried other stuff, keep coming back to the bebop.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jabens

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2014, 4:17pm

What makes you keep going back to the Bebops??

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2014, 7:30pm

The Bebop cleats are so large, they do a better job of spreading out the pressure on your foot, better than any other MTB shoe. And they have more float than any other pedal I know of.  

The pedal itself is bulletproof, and will last a very long time. Unlike most other pedals, the moving parts are in the cleats, so it's them that will eventually wear out and have to be replaced.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jabens

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2014, 7:10am

UPDATE:  I worked on my Bebops myself and it was very easy to clip in once I shimmed my shoes a bit.  I'm pretty proud of myself since the two bike shop guys couldn't figure it out.  I road yesterday and loved them.  I experienced the float feature and it was a much more comfortable ride.  Foot numbness was significantly reduced.  I would give the Bebops a 5/5 stars.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 9:04am

Congrats on finding the solution. The right pedals can make a huge difference in your ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print