Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 4th, 2024, 5:52am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welding services,  east of the metroplex (Read 952 times)
Dennis

rbent member

Welding services,  east of the metroplex
Sep 27th, 2014, 7:29pm

During my ride this morning I felt like the steering on my Vision-R54 was a bit off.    moved the overseat handle bars around a bit and decided I was imaging things.    When I got back home I discovered  

It may be hard to see there but the weld holding that plate to the short length of tube is unzipping up the length of the tube.   Its well over halfway disconnected.    Vision went out of business long ago, so tracking down a replacement part seems unlikely.      

It seems to me,  the only way I can save this steed from the knacker is track down someone that could redo that weld without destroying bracket or the tube.    I remember there were a lot of build from scratch DIY folks in RBENT when I was following it over a decade ago,  so I thought this might still be the place to find someone or get some suggestions.

I guess at the moment can't consider this a rideable bike.    Being a bit of an unstable steering arrangement to begin with, I hesitate to wonder too much on what would have happened had it finished shearing off while I was in motion.   Likely the damage was actually done 3 rides ago though.   Exploring new areas and stopped on a steep incline;  when started again I was caught off guard as the front of the bike went up instead of forward and it took a lot of torque on the bars to avoid capsizing.

Its an old bike (purchased in July2000) and I had considered replacing it,  but I enjoy riding it enough that the replacing has never seemed worth replacing.    

IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Welding services,  east of the metroplex
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2014, 8:03am

Dennis,

Post this up on Bent Rider Online.  You might be able to scrounge a replacement part there.  I know there are some folks still riding the Visions.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2014, 10:16am

Hi Dennis,
It takes a slow low temp weld, but its not hard. Vision didn't use any fancy alloys or anything ..   Whomever does this needs to grind off and sand that area so the weld holds well.  Don't just spot weld across the paint.      I had that exact same failure mode in my vision tandem.    I re-welded it and for good measure I took a steel band and welded it around it as a ring to attempt to strengthen that part.  So-far its still holding strong.    As I recall there's a guy RBM uses that comes over to their shop and welds all sorts of broken bike bits for them and you should also be able to Google maps then search for "welding shop" and find someone close to you.   Oh --   You'll need to primer and repaint that area as it will rust quickly after the weld and that makes things worse.  

I'd do it for you, but I'm hours from heading overseas for the better part of a month and honestly my welding skills are not that great, which is why i'm good at grinding and sanding  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2014, 10:29am

RBM was my first stop,   and they didn't make any claims of that kind of repair being within their ability.   Though that answer may be (just as I was reminded by a private message) that many may fear potential liability should the repair fail in future.   I hadn't considered that but can appreciate it.

IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2014, 4:55pm

Probably should have waited another day and tried to build some sort of jig to hold the parts in position to help the welder.   Metal fab shop welded it with out much trouble,  but its not quite aligned.    A quick test ride and I feel comfortable riding the bike with the fixed part, but at the same time I can tell its just a bit out of kilter,  though there may till be some tweaking I can do on that too.  At a minimum,  I can ride so don't feel like I have to make a rush replacement decision this week, and yet have continuing motivation speed up that decision each time I notice the cattywampus part.   Perhaps the best of both worlds.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print