Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 8th, 2024, 9:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glo Gloves review (Read 1490 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Glo Gloves review
Feb 26th, 2008, 8:08pm

Based upon what I read on BROL about these, I looked 'em up on the web.  The owner steered me to a dealer in Stuart, FL, "Night Gear, Inc." because they don't sell online -- I spoke to the owner (a very nice guy, who rides a V-rex, I believe) on the phone, asking him to tell me what he could about them, and he was reasonably descriptive.  Since I do a lot of night riding, and wanted to see what the real differences were between the "Original" and "Sport" styles, I ordered one pair of each, since others in the group might want to get some.

Here's the lowdown, complete with pics:

The basic material is spandex, simliar to a cycling jersey, but single layer.  The reflective patches are a layered plastic, similar to those safety triangles many of us use on the backs of our bikes, although a bit thinner.  Note the length vs. the tape.

The "Original"

The "Sport"

The pad on the "Sport" isn't very substantial in thickness, but we don't need no steenking pads on our gloves ANYWAY, do we???!!!   Cheesy  It does appear to be of reasonable durability, though.

The stitching of the reflective material to the spandex doesn't appear to be very robust, so I'm not sure how long it would be under regular cycling use before you might get some fraying and loose edges.  I really don't know, but I'm surprised it's not double stitched, even though it's into spandex.

The reflectivity ain't no joke, this stuff works...  Here are two nighttime pics, one from 25 feet and one from 50, with my regular camera flash.  You WILL be seen waving these around!

Unfortunately, where the problem comes in with these little wonders is, the FIT.  The "Original" is described on the website as designed to "stretch from M to XXL over gloves" -- and they mean it.  Here's how it fits my bare hand, then how it fits over my winter glove:

The Sport version is somewhat smaller --

But even on my hand, it's a bit looser than it could be...  Which means that, for anyone who doesn't wear L/XL gloves, these are going to be too big for you if you intend to wear them over your bare hand -- which to me would seem to cut out most of the female cycling population  Sad  , because they apparently do NOT make a smaller size, and the spandex doesn't contract THAT tightly.

I'm going to keep them -- I can wear the "Sport" in spring/summer/fall, even over thin gloves, and the "Original" in winter over other heavier gloves, although I've pretty much gotten away from using the winter glove pictured above in favor of lobster shells over thinner liners.  If anyone in the group uses heavy fingered gloves regularly, let's talk...   Smiley

Overall, I'd say it's a good product idea with some more refinement needed, especially in the concept of womens' sizing for barehanded wear.  They're just too big!  In addition, I'm not sure how well the stitching is going to hold up, considering the basic $20 price tag...  We'll see...

In the meantime, spend $5 on a sheet of reflective stickers, and get creative...  I did this a year ago...

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012, 6:43pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Glo Gloves review
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2008, 5:42pm

Great review, Paul!

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008, 6:47pm

Yep, very good stuff. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:21pm

I wore 'em tonight, over "liner" gloves -- the fit was good...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print