Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 9th, 2024, 5:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The forum has crashed (Read 222 times)
Bud_Bent

The forum has crashed
Jan 4th, 2024, 12:37pm

I'm working on getting it going again.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: The forum has crashed
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2024, 4:38pm

I seem to have gotten the forum running again, but a lot of posts from the Ride Reports forum seem to be missing. I'm trying to recover them.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2024, 4:54pm

Well, it doesn't look promising. The headers from the recent posts are there, but not the posts themselves. In yesterday's backup I did before Hostgator did their restore, I can see Paul's one post he managed to make after things cratered, but all the other posts from the last year and a half in the Ride Reports forum are missing, including the Did you ride today post which started much earlier than that. I've asked Hostgator to see if they can find those files, but I'm not very optimistic. We may have lost years of ride reports.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2024, 4:55pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2024, 6:22pm

All of us being too slow in reporting and reacting to this crash seems to have limited fixing it. Hostgator only does once month and once a week backups, and doesn't keep any older backups. So the oldest backup they had was December 21st, and it appears the forum had already crashed and had corrupted files by then. If you see a problem with the forum, try to get a message to me right away. Reacting more quickly would definitely improve the chances of getting everything restored properly.

The lower activity of the forum has no doubt contributed to this crash not getting reported right away. It mirrors what seems to have happened to the recumbent world. Recumbents made a big rise in popularity in the 1990's and 2000's, but interest has really seemed to wane since then. Bacchetta got sold. RANS got sold, then shut down. Forum members here have reported about how fewer recumbent riders they see on rides. And I moved away from DFW and only do solo rides these days, so I really lost touch with the forum and my old friends here too, and just don't visit the forum too frequently these days. Such is the ebb and flow of things, I guess.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2024, 6:24pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2024, 9:32pm

Bud, thank you for fixing the Forum.

There are eleven recumbent riders in the Clown Ride group that ride at White Rock Lake on a regular or semi-regular basis. Some of us ride three times a week for as much as 156 miles. Only three of us post ride reports on a regular basis. There are probably 12 or more recumbent riders that ride at the lake that are not members of our Clown group. Most of them are trike riders, like us. The number of recumbent bike riders is low.

We didn't know you weren't monitoring the Forum, otherwise we would have contacted Paul B earlier.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2024, 3:15pm

Quote from jayg on Jan 4th, 2024, 9:32pm:
Bud, thank you for fixing the Forum.

There are eleven recumbent riders in the Clown Ride group that ride at White Rock Lake on a regular or semi-regular basis. Some of us ride three times a week for as much as 156 miles. Only three of us post ride reports on a regular basis. There are probably 12 or more recumbent riders that ride at the lake that are not members of our Clown group. Most of them are trike riders, like us. The number of recumbent bike riders is low.

We didn't know you weren't monitoring the Forum, otherwise we would have contacted Paul B earlier.

Really, someone younger should take over the forum. Besides living 60 miles southeast of Dallas these days, I will turn 73 in April, am a 16 year lung cancer survivor, almost died of COVID in 2020, and have had a heart attack and a heart valve replacement since then. We need a younger IT guy who lives in DFW and is a dedicated recumbent rider and forum poster who's willing to run the forum. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that animal exists.

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2024, 3:16pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha