Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 9th, 2024, 10:53am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bents have disappeared (Read 357 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Bents have disappeared
Jul 31st, 2023, 5:22pm

Rode the Goatneck this past weekend I had to SAG it last year when Paul and I rode together.   This year I was trained up enough not only to finish, but post my fastest time ever on the course using my trusty carbent and new drivetrain at 17.5mph.  

But I saw not a single other bent. I haven't seen them at any events lately with the exception of occasional trikes. And Bent Ryder when he comes to ride with the FWBA. Think the industry is dying?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Re: Bents have disappeared
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2023, 5:54pm

A buddy and I rode the Dehydrator in Duncan OK the same day. We were the only 2-wheeled bents, I saw an electric three wheeler also.  

I cannot explain what feels like a decline to me. I struggle to explain it. Is it me getting old? Are the recumbent glory days behind us? Are others, like myself, hesitant to ride in a world that has their noses in their darn phones when they drive? I dunno.

Are you riding HHH100? Maybe you can drag me around the course.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2023, 11:54am

I feel that the ebike road market may be a reason. They enable others to still ride uprights and not have to switch to weird bents. Cruzbike just sent an email saying their biggest demo is 35-54 and they're growing. I'm not sure I believe that since we've seen the decline of several companies over the last few years. I also am privy to a few insiders in the biz. I get that bents may not be expanding, but I wouldn't expect it to shrink and suddenly not see other riders anymore.  

I'm not getting involved in that mess of the HHH. Certainly not with the heat outlook as it is. If the heat backs off, and I had a friend who lived up there who could put me up though ......

Might have the V20 dialed in by then. It'd be a good course to test it out on!

Quote from Rat Rider on Jul 31st, 2023, 5:54pm:
A buddy and I rode the Dehydrator in Duncan OK the same day. We were the only 2-wheeled bents, I saw an electric three wheeler also.
A

I cannot explain what feels like a decline to me. I struggle to explain it. Is it me getting old? Are the recumbent glory days behind us? Are others, like myself, hesitant to ride in a world that has their noses in their darn phones when they drive? I dunno.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2023, 12:07pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 1st, 2023, 11:54am:
If the heat backs off

Don't be a wuss!  Grin

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2023, 6:19pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 1st, 2023, 11:54am:
I feel that the ebike road market may be a reason. They enable others to still ride uprights and not have to switch to weird bents. Cruzbike just sent an email saying their biggest demo is 35-54 and they're growing. I'm not sure I believe that since we've seen the decline of several companies over the last few years. I also am privy to a few insiders in the biz. I get that bents may not be expanding, but I wouldn't expect it to shrink and suddenly not see other riders anymore.

I'm not getting involved in that mess of the HHH. Certainly not with the heat outlook as it is. If the heat backs off, and I had a friend who lived up there who could put me up though ......

Might have the V20 dialed in by then. It'd be a good course to test it out on!

Quote from Rat Rider on Jul 31st, 2023, 5:54pm:
A

A few 2-wheel bents, ridden by older riders, still plying the trails at WRL. Haven't seen anyone riding a new 2-wheel bent and haven't seen any young riders on bents. Lots of fat tire E-bikes, with young riders, are plying the trails. Not much peddling going on. They're riding them like motorcycles. Their physiques don't look anything like those of the typical young road bike rider.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print