Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Experts on BROL (Read 761 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Experts on BROL
Mar 20th, 2022, 9:42am

Jay, don't you just love all the experts on BROL? Ha, a battery isn't a battery unless you pay $200 too much for one! I have had mine for over a year and have had no problems with it. Getting ready to order two more before the next price increase.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Experts on BROL
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2022, 12:37pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 20th, 2022, 9:42am:
Jay, don't you just love all the experts on BROL? Ha, a battery isn't a battery unless you pay $200 too much for one! I have had mine for over a year and have had no problems with it. Getting ready to order two more before the next price increase.

Yeah.  Cheesy  

The only problem I've experienced with the Ebay-sourced battery on my trike is the Hailong plastic case and mount deteriorating due to vibration, resulting in a loose fit. The locking hole in the plastic mount has elongated, and together with the loose-tolerance locking plug, allows the battery to slip forward in the mount about 2 mm. I have to strap the battery tightly to the mount to prevent intermittent power loss.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2022, 1:37pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2022, 2:08pm

The only problem I've experienced with the Ebay-sourced battery on my trike is the Hailong plastic case and mount deteriorating due to vibration, resulting in a loose fit. The locking hole in the plastic mount has elongated, and together with the loose-tolerance locking plug, allows the battery to slip forward in the mount about 2 mm. I have to strap the battery tightly to the mount to prevent intermittent power loss.
[/quote]

Some batteries have a cover over the locking plug. remove the cover and see if there are two screw you can adjust to keep the battery engaged with the contacts

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2022, 4:47pm

Unfortunately, there are no provisions for adjusting the plug. The two screws shown in the photo attach the plug assembly to the battery case. I might be able to turn a wood dowel down on my lathe to the diameter of the plug, wrap it with wax paper, and stuff JB Weld around it to restore the hole to a close tolerance with the plug,

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2022, 4:52pm

I have had success with epoxying a washer over holes on plastic Jay. Or use a wide washer with the correct hole diameter and use short self tapping screws. You can even use a soldering iron or hot air gun to weld a washer over the hole. You can use the very thin metal washers so the bolt is still long enough. If you could get the case open to put the washer on the inside of the case it would be even better. If they would do that at the factory it would save us all some grief.  

You could also drill out the case a little to put the washer flush.

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2022, 4:54pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2022, 5:10pm

That's a good idea Jerry. Maybe I can find a thin washer that will work.  

The Hailong case and mounting base interlock design sucks. The case, base, and plug fit snugly when new, but eventually loosen up after experiencing vibration. All mating surfaces between the case and base should be metal.

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2022, 5:22pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2022, 7:24am

I agree Jay. Just like the crappy stuff from Japan in the 1960's and 1970's now we have the even crappier crap from China. Don't you just love it when the item says proudly designed in the USA, made in China. They would probably use lead as the base if it were metal.  

I was wondering if the whole bottom of the base could have a thin piece of metal epoxied to it. Something like 26 or 28 gauge. The whole could then be drilled out and a washer JB welded to the metal plate.  

Ace Hardware has some nice thin washers in the nut and bolt section of their store. The one I shop at they are where the automotive bolts and stuff are.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2022, 7:29am

I think I would counter sink the plastic Jay so the washer would be flush then epoxy it in.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2022, 6:07pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 22nd, 2022, 7:29am:
I think I would counter sink the plastic Jay so the washer would be flush then epoxy it in.
 I don't own any counterbore bits, so I need to check the clearance between the base and battery bottom to see if there's enough clearance to surface mount a thin washer.  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2022, 8:43pm

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2022, 9:18pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 22nd, 2022, 8:43pm:

I would need a counterbore (https://www.mcmaster.com/counterbores/round-shank-adjustable-diameter-counterbor es/shank-type~round/) to cut a shallow recess for a thin washer.

Not much material to work with, as the plastic base's thickness at the plug hole is just 4 mm.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2022, 2:10pm

I have an 8 set counterbore somewhere! If I can find it I will bring it to WRL. The set goes from 1/8th inch to 1 inch. I wish I had my basement back. It is hard to find stuff now that I don't have one. Everything is in boxes and plastic totes in 2 sheds. Like looking for a tiny needle in a big hay stack!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2022, 2:15pm

I almost forgot about Forstner bits.  
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-1-in-forstner-drill-bit-set-with-38-in-shank s-7-pc-62361.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12126402660&campaignid=12126402660&utm_content=118355023673&adsetid=118355023673&product=62361&store=3129&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqc_Nhfjc9gIV1g-tBh2KMgEaEAQYASABEgIx9vD_BwE

I have used them to countersink in plastic, wood, and fiberglass. They leave a perfectly flat bottom. I have an expensive set but those cheap Harbor Freight ones should be up to the task.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2022, 5:53pm

Thanks Jerry.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2022, 8:38am

You are welcome Jay. I hope it works for you. With plastic and Forstner bits you need to use a very low rpm. It will heat up fast if too high an rpm.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print