Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 1:47pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Took on the Mighty C-470! (Read 686 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

I Took on the Mighty C-470!
Aug 12th, 2021, 6:55am

Among my stable’s steeds, I took the 700, so that both Cindy and I would be on trikes together, (ready everyone…”Awww!”).  
I haven’t really ridden since getting here, except the fun rides with Cindy, because the idler Plano Cycling & Fitness installed didn’t seem to be cutting the mustard anymore.  I saw how the fixed position of the pulley was causing shifting problems.  Jay, from the Mosquito Works of Gorman Industries, suggested a fix, replacing the idler with a length of chain tube.  So elegantly simple and cheap and I happened to have tubes on hand.  I went from this: to this: , fixing the tube in place forward and back, but allowing ample side to side movement as the chain moved among the cogs.  Yesterday, was the shakedown ride…at the C-470 Bikeway!!
Wow, what a trail.  Tough climbs with hellified descents.  It parallels Interstate 470, starting in Golden.  From Golden Heights Park, it immediately goes up what seems a quarter mile between 3.8% and 7.5.  I slowly went up the whole thing without waking Granny.  After that, it’s a 10 minute descent where you’re reaching speeds in the mid-30s mph without pedaling…faster if you foolhardy.  The replacement tube worked perfectly.  Thanks, Jay!  
I only went out and back about 5 miles of the 29.6 because light would be fading soon, and I had to get back to helps Cindy prepare for her surgery.  The most thrilling part happened on the return trip.  I was descending about 27mph on this one stretch which briefly turned up.  I couldn’t see over the rise, but figured it was continuing straight.  Wrong.  It veered right, while my speed carried me straight, bouncing out of control into the weeds.  A real dead man’s curve if you’re too hot approaching it.  The trike stayed upright, though while braking, I skinned my right Kojak down to its blue belt, and I received a good scratch from the woody weeds.  Lesson learned.  I’ll be back right after I replace that tire.  What a trail…not for the novice.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: I Took on the Mighty C-470!
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2021, 2:53pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2021, 6:55am:
Among my stable’s steeds, I took the 700, so that both Cindy and I would be on trikes together, (ready everyone…”Awww!”).  
I haven’t really ridden since getting here, except the fun rides with Cindy, because the idler Plano Cycling & Fitness installed didn’t seem to be cutting the mustard anymore.  I saw how the fixed position of the pulley was causing shifting problems.  Jay, from the Mosquito Works of Gorman Industries, suggested a fix, replacing the idler with a length of chain tube.  So elegantly simple and cheap and I happened to have tubes on hand.  I went from this: http://https://tinyurl.com/s4337ncz to this: http://https://tinyurl.com/dbhphe83, fixing the tube in place forward and back, but allowing ample side to side movement as the chain moved among the cogs.  Yesterday, was the shakedown ride…at the C-470 Bikeway!!
Wow, what a trail.  Tough climbs with hellified descents.  It parallels Interstate 470, starting in Golden.  From Golden Heights Park, it immediately goes up what seems a quarter mile between 3.8% and 7.5.  I slowly went up the whole thing without waking Granny.  After that, it’s a 10 minute descent where you’re reaching speeds in the mid-30s mph without pedaling…faster if you foolhardy.  The replacement tube worked perfectly.  Thanks, Jay!  
I only went out and back about 5 miles of the 29.6 because light would be fading soon, and I had to get back to helps Cindy prepare for her surgery.  The most thrilling part happened on the return trip.  I was descending about 27mph on this one stretch which briefly turned up.  I couldn’t see over the rise, but figured it was continuing straight.  Wrong.  It veered right, while my speed carried me straight, bouncing out of control into the weeds.  A real dead man’s curve if you’re too hot approaching it.  The trike stayed upright, though while braking, I skinned my right Kojak down to its blue belt, and I received a good scratch from the woody weeds.  Lesson learned.  I’ll be back right after I replace that tire.  What a trail…not for the novice.

Mosquito Works!!! got to love it!! Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2021, 5:22pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 12th, 2021, 2:53pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2021, 6:55am:
I haven’t really ridden since getting here, except the fun rides with Cindy, because the idler Plano Cycling & Fitness installed didn’t seem to be cutting the mustard anymore.  I saw how the fixed position of the pulley was causing shifting problems.  Jay, from the Mosquito Works of Gorman Industries, suggested a fix, replacing the idler with a length of chain tube.  So elegantly simple and cheap and I happened to have tubes on hand.  I went from this: http://https://tinyurl.com/s4337ncz to this: http://https://tinyurl.com/dbhphe83, fixing the tube in place forward and back, but allowing ample side to side movement as the chain moved among the cogs.  Yesterday, was the shakedown ride…at the C-470 Bikeway!!

Mosquito Works!!! got to love it!! Smiley

Anybody that's been in my backyard, while I'm working on recumbents, knows "Mosquito Works" is a very appropriate name for my shop. East Dallas has some of the most viscous mosquitos around. They are immediately all over anybody that enters my back yard. Anyone with Type "O" blood is welcome in my yard anytime, because that is the only time they ignore me. Just ask Craig B and Steve S. Cheesy  

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2021, 5:24pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2021, 6:52pm

Jay,  
Are the photos not showing up?  How does that work, again?

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2021, 8:07pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2021, 6:52pm:
Jay,
Are the photos not showing up?  How does that work, again?

No, there were no photos in your post. You need to subscribe to an image hosting service, like Imgur. You post photos to your account.  Then, you select a photo you want to post to the Forum. A menu will be presented to the right of the selected photo. At the bottom of the menu, click on "Copy" at "Linked BBCode (message boards)". Then, paste the photo to your Forum post. Click on "Preview" and you will see the photo in your draft post.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2021, 12:55am

Jay,
Thanks.  Gee, what a painful process to post a lousy photo.  I’m hoping to get a mount for my older iPhone to go onto the trike.  I’ll shoot some simple videos to post directly to YouTube.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print