Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 10:09am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trikes and smart trainers (Read 765 times)
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Trikes and smart trainers
Oct 30th, 2020, 6:16pm

I’ve been on the fence for quite some time for a smart trainer. I’m seriously considering a kicker core and am interested in zwift activity. My preference would be to ride my VTX on the trainer.

I’m curious if any of you folks have experience with a trike on one of these and could provide some feedback.  The trainer will only be setup when needed as it’s not a permanent setup, it’s more important to store the car in The garage to me and will only be used during times when the weather is prohibitive from outside riding.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Re: Trikes and smart trainers
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2021, 7:23pm

I have the Kicker 2018 and currently have my Rans F5 mounted and it works fine.  I will be working on this is the next few days to set-up the Cat 700 and see how it works as I am considering the resurrecting the F5 for outdoor this year.  If I get this change over done I will update.  I have been using the Sufferfest app the last few years and really like it.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2021, 8:01pm

Quote from Mdicke on Jan 1st, 2021, 7:23pm:
I have the Kicker 2018 and currently have my Rans F5 mounted and it works fine.  I will be working on this is the next few days to set-up the Cat 700 and see how it works as I am considering the resurrecting the F5 for outdoor this year.  If I get this change over done I will update.  I have been using the Sufferfest app the last few years and really like it.

I took the plunge early November and bought the kicker core.  The Vendetta won’t mount without removing the disc brake caliper so I’ve been riding the VtX on it.  To date I’ve ridden just over 425 miles on zwift and started racing with the Cruzbike team once a week.  I’m having a blast riding with these guys and actually enjoying my time on the trainer now.  I’ve never been a fan of trainers until I put the money down for a smart trainer.  Make no mistake about I would much rather be outside but when it’s cold or windy or wet, I’m riding in the garage now in a video game.  

The racing teams are looking for more bentriders to join us, a Cruzbike isn’t required.  Anyone interested, typical speed for us slower guys are in the low 20’s and it’s a great bunch to ride with, there are a couple faster groups too.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2021, 10:34am

Glad that worked out for you.  I have enjoyed the smart trainer route.  Because the 700 has a 10 spd cassette I will have to pull it off the wheel and put that one on the trainer as I do not have a spare and not ready to spend for the spare yet.  I plan the change over this afternoon.

I have not done any Zwift riding yet and may have to investigate that out of curiosity.

Have good New Year.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2021, 10:46pm

Zwift is fun so long as you're doing it with friends. And the racing is awesome. You can find a team regardless of how fast or slow you are.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print