Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 11:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Coming back from 2 widow maker heart attacks (Read 2126 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Coming back from 2 widow maker heart attacks
Apr 8th, 2020, 2:35pm

On January 9,2020 I suffered 2 widow maker heart attacks within 20 minutes of each other. Luckily for me I was only 3 miles from the hospital. In less than 20 minutes they had me in surgery for a triple bypass. On January 17th all my organs shut down. It was a scary time and I spent 28 days in Cardiac Intensive Care. They had me on so many IV's and a machine to make me breathe I couldn't move. My right lung collapsed and filled up with fluids several times. They drained my lung 4-5 times and I had to do breathing exercises and walk as much as possible to get the lung to pump back up and to keep the fluids and solid junk down. That is the lung I have had trouble with all my life. It sucks!  

Now 3 months later I am trying hard to make a come back. I started riding 2 weeks ago in my WAW before the doctor released me to. I have ridden a total of 156 miles in those 2 weeks. Yesterday I made it 30 miles. I thought it was going to kill me! Came home and couldn't get enough food and water down. Finally about 1:30 am I got up and ate oatmeal and raisin cookies. That seemed to help me sleep.

I thought eating healthy and riding over 200 miles a week was enough to keep me healthy. I was wrong. Bad genetics. I will be getting yearly stress tests done from now on. I'll also have my kidneys, liver, and stomach tested on a regular basis. I would donate my organs but they aren't worth having.  

I almost forgot that I lost around 52 pounds without trying.

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2020, 2:51pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Coming back from 2 widow maker heart attacks
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2020, 3:25pm

That's a tuff way to lost weight, hoping all benters will keep you in their prayers. Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2020, 4:43pm

Wow, Jerry! What an ordeal you've been through. Wondered why you had disappeared from the Forum. Now I know. Hope your recovery continues to progress well.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2020, 8:23pm

Jeez, Jerry!  I can empathize with your situation.  I hope you get back into normal life soon.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2020, 10:37pm

darn dude. No more of that!  I'm finally back on the bike so we can start riding together soon as this is over.   I'm so glad you're ok. You're a tough SOB!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2020, 7:18am

Thanks guys. It is the toughest thing I have been through. Sure am glad Bob and Greg are back and doing better. I don't think I will be taking life for granted again.  

Here's hoping no one gets this darn virus. Two people I know have passed from it.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2020, 4:55pm

Darn, Jerry.  I am so sorry that you had to go through that.  I wondered why I hadn't seen you on the Cottonbelt trail back in February and early March.  I hope you recover well, but do follow the doctor's advise.  Stay safe from the virus.

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2020, 5:49pm

Thanks Dianna. Yeah, no riding for almost 3 months.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2020, 3:02pm

Dang, sorry to hear this.  Hope you continue to get better. I have those bad heart disease genes, too. One thing I've learned: besides riding, we have to eat better than we did when we were young and bulletproof.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2020, 9:02pm

I have been mostly vegan the past 10 years when I got my first 3 stents. I took the advice of a doctor who should not be a cardiologist. He talked me into quitting taking the medicine for my stents. Three years later after taking his advice I get the bypass. I'll not quit taking my medicine again! I guess I really do have to take Plavix and aspirin the rest of my life!

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2020, 11:46am

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 17th, 2020, 9:02pm:
. I'll not quit taking my medicine again! I guess I really do have to take Plavix and aspirin the rest of my life!

Jerry, there are always more expensive alternatives to those!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2020, 7:06pm

Jerry, there are always more expensive alternatives to those!   Smiley [/quote]

Yes, like over $2 million 28 day stay in the hospital Bob! I'll take the meds from now on no matter what any doctor says.  

How are you doing now Bob?

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2020, 7:14pm

The wound vac is off (I'm two-handed again! Yay!), but six weeks of IV antibiotics has given me chronic diarrhea.  They want get me tested for C. dif.  At least the PICC line will get removed from my arm.  My hope is to feel good enough to try pedaling the trike around the neighborhood in a couple of weeks.

You must be extremely valuable, Jerry.  Baylor only tried to get $600,000 out of my insurer.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2020, 7:50pm

Yahoo for two hands again Bob! When they put me on the 8 weeks of strong antibiotic for Staph I had to eat 4 probiotic yogurts a day. I hope you don't get that C. Dif stuff. I hope you get to ride soon.  

One of my 11 doctors wrote on the bill he spent 22 minutes with me a day. He didn't spend 10 minutes in 28 days total! I think the doctors fudge on the actual time with patients!

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2020, 3:55pm

The surgeon who did my heart valve transplant spent more time with me selling the product than my other surgeons did checking on me after the damage was done.  There were a couple of names in the report I'm not even sure stuck their heads inside the door.  My primary care physician has been calling once or twice a week.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print