Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 6:47am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
September 2018 England bike touring (Part 2) (Read 806 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

September 2018 England bike touring (Part 2)
Sep 26th, 2018, 8:16pm

16-Sep-18      SUN
 Ashdown Forest & Forest Row  
What happened on this ride initially seemed like the worst time it could have happened; ultimately it became obvious it was the best time it could have happened! It is one of James' favorite local rides. We had relocated from the Norfolk area to the E Sussex area, on the eastern part of the south coast of England, near Lewes, which is not far from Brighton. James had provided RWGPS links for every ride we were going to do, except this one. I had done rides before that took us to the top of Ashdown Forest although not from the location of the cottage we were now staying in. We had been in an area where "flat" was the rule. Now we were in an area where "steep" is the rule. I was feeling intimidated but it didn't take me that long to start enjoying it. So we climbed to Ashdown Forest the easy way, eventually stopping for a coffee and breakfast at Forest Row. We would often supplement our breakfast of muesli at the cottage with another more substantial on the road. One thing i had done which ultimately spelled doom for my rear wheel, was to top off the tires with more air before leaving. It had been several days since I had done that. When I checked, both tires were down to 60. That's too low. So I pumped each up to 100. Within 5 miles of starting out, I was feeling a bumping when I used the rear brake. I tried to ignore it but the bumping got worse. Eventually i stopped to have a look. There was a dent in the braking surface. Had no idea where that had come from! When we reached the top in the Ashdown Forest area, I had a rear flat. Stopped, took it apart, checked the tire. Could find nothing wrong except the rim strip was loose near the valve hole. I put it back together, pumped it up to just over 6 bar and we got under way again. We headed to Forest Row, had breakfast and away we went again. Now we were doing a lot of downhill. I was having to use the brakes again and a lot. The rear bumping was even worse. I started using the front brake more. Eventually I had to stop again and look at it. Now the braking surface of the rim was bowed out next to the valve stem. I told James I had to stop riding. James and I rode to the nearby Bluebell Railway, a tourist steam train venue with working steam engines. Anyway, I stayed there and James went on to finish the ride. I had 38 miles. I'm not sure what the total was intended to be - maybe 65 or 70. James called Dave and let him know my rear wheel had packed up and would he come over to Blue Bell, pick me up, and take me back to the cottage.  Dave came about an hour later, and brought his roommate Bryan's spare wheel, which was a 10-speed. I've got a 9-speed. We were in hopes the wheel would work. The alternative was having a new wheel built, but James' favorite mechanic, Andy, was on holiday. We might be stuck if the borrowed wheel didn't work. So this was a short day for me and I was just a bit depressed. The "worst" I referred to was that possibly I was done being able to do any more rides this trip.
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 10:30; end: 14:42; avg:13; max: 34.2; climb: 2270; miles: 38.27; mtd miles:608.74; ytd miles:9549.82  
 SUNNY; wind: SW 11; start  temp: 64; min: 59; avg: 65; max: 73; end: 68  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3020447290

17-Sep-18      MON
 West Coastal  
Now Monday morning, we decided to head over to Seaford to the bike shop there and see if they would switch the cassette off my wheel onto the loaner wheel. We went in and chatted with the owner and he agreed to do the switch. While he was doing that, we headed over to the coffee shop for a cappuccino and some food. When we went back to the shop the wheel was ready and didn't need a spacer. That's a WIN! Shifting should work without adjustment. We went back to the cottage and decided to do an abbreviated version of the West Coastal ride, as we would be starting in afternoon and had less time to finish. The good news was I had an acceptable substitute wheel, and I should be able to finish out the week, riding, and can postpone any decision about a new wheel until end of week. We headed out, east a little, south to Newhaven, west to Peacehaven, south to the coast road and headed toward Brighton. By the way, the ZERO meridian of longitude passes directy through Peacehaven. There is a monument on the coast, which we bypassed, as I had been there before. The day was an absolutely perfect day - we had warm sun, mostly clear skies, and practically no wind. As we approached Brighton, we dropped down the path to the coast bike trail at the bottom of the chalk cliffs. The sea was stunning - practically no waves, clear water with no disturbance to the sand below. On any weekend day in these conditions, the path would be packed. Today, just a scattering of lucky people were there. We rode west through Saltdean, Brighton, Hove, & Shoreham-by-sea. We had a bite to eat from a small eatery on the path in Brighton. From Shoreham we headed inland through Steyning, then east through Fulking, Hurstpierpoint, Clayton, and then a side trip to Hassocks for cappuccino and bite to eat. Then carried on through Westmeston, Plumpton, Cooksbridge, Barcombe, then south through Ringmer and Glynde. There were other towns along the way - these were the high points. Our cottage was near Beddingham, a couple miles west of Glynde. So, an excellent ride, rear wheel working beautifully, and a great, balmy day. Doesn't get much better than this!
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 12:13; end: 18:54; avg:12; max: 28.3; climb: 3123; miles: 63.3; mtd miles:672.04; ytd miles:9613.12  
 SUNNY; wind: calm; start  temp: 66; min: 57; avg: 69; max: 79; end: 59  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3022843164

18-Sep-18      TUE
 Tenterden (from Rye)  
Today we took a road trip over to Rye. James used to work in the area a few years ago and came to love the lanes there as there is less traffic. Rye has a long history with no indication of when it was actually founded. The settlement was there in Roman times although not in the present location. In the present location, which is where the sandstone weald reaches the coast, the town received it's charter in 1289 from King Edward the 1st and had been an important port through the ages until ships became too large to navigate the Rother River into the port. There was a wall around the city, finished after the French sacked and burned the city in 1377. The only part of the fortification that still exists is the Landgate which is the only vehicular entrance to the old city. The oldest roads are still cobbled and I had visited the cathedral, which is at the top of the hill, on a previous trip. We got started on the ride, moving through busy traffic and across a bridge to finally turn off and roll up a road that was far less busy. High winds were in the mix for this ride so of the 2 rides James planned, he picked this one for today as it meanders across the marshes in the flat part of the ride. We were riding the typical lanes - 2 way roads that are typically 6 to 8 ft wide. Naturally, passing is nearly impossible unless one vehicle backs up to a wider spot. Even cyclists typically have very litte room to get by a vehicle. The lanes mostly had hedges or trees which helped block us from the wind. But to get to that area, we made a left turn off that less busy road we left town on, straight up a hill I had almost no time to shift down for. It was very steep. I think it was the toughest hill of the trip. By the time I switched my screen to the % grade we were on considerably flatter ground and it read 14% at that point. Welcome to the Weald. We meandered around on top of that hill for awhile before finally descending to the marshes. I discovered at the first point I wanted to take a photo that I'd left the camera in the van. So no photos for this ride - bummer. It was lunch in Tenterden, then some climbing toward the ridge road a couple miles before which we passed the turnoff to Paul McCartney's home (one of them). Then topping at the ridge road, we descended toward the coast and lots more climbing before we got there. I documented three 17% climbs in the hilly areas although none of those felt steeper than that first one. That's why I think that one had to be 18 or 19%. Then we rode along the coast for a few miles although little to see as we were to the left of the seawall. Finally did get a look at the ocean before turning inland toward Rye. It was a good ride. Back at the van, I retrieved the phone and took a photo of the windmill on the other side of the park near where we parked. Had a great fish and chips dinner after that along with some good beer. Always a great way to finish the day!  
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 10:59; end: 18:00; avg:12.8; max: 25.3; climb: 3337; miles: 71.01; mtd miles:743.05; ytd miles:9684.13  
 CLOUDY; wind: W 28; start  temp: 68; min: 59; avg: 64; max: 73; end: 61  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3025567517

19-Sep-18      WED
 Mad Jack Follies  
This ride was a little different. It certainly was no less hilly with over 4800 ft of climbing, but we were going to explore an area made locally famous by a very rich member of Parliament, Mad Jack Fuller, during the early 1800s. He was born in 1757 and died in 1834 and was a philanthropist, land owner, and as some of the things he had built on his land were considered by some to be completely useless, were referred to as follies. Our attempts to find some of these follies might be seen as follies in themselves. We were attempting to find "the tower" and crisscrossed several lanes, going up and down and repeating. We did over 1100 ft of climbing in 8 miles of riding while pursuing this folly. We never saw it and it was probably right in front of our eyes but obscured by trees. James found it on a satelite view of the area and we had gone right around it but it was in the middle of trees which in the last couple hundred years had grown enough to obscure most of his follies. In the process of looking for that, James found one he had never before seen - the "Temple". Only the top was visible from our vantage and the rest was obscured by trees. More easily seen (which we did see) were the Great Wall, the Observatory, the Obelisk, the Church, the Pyramid, and the Sugar Loaf. We also saw his pub. The Brightling Village near where he lived did not have a pub - not permitted by the local council. So Mad Jack built a pub just outside the town limits. It is still there. It was originally named the Fuller Arms Pub and operated as a pub as late as 2004. It is now a private home. There is much more on the internet.  [http://www.odd-stuff.info/follies/brightling.htm ] and [ http://johnmadjackfuller.homestead.com/pub.html ]. Too much info to post here. We had tea and a snack in Brightling and lunch in Horam? I think? - James can correct me - I don't remember but looking at the Garmin map that looks about right. Lots of steepness on this one - in the first mile 18%, in the 3rd mile 16%, At mile 17, our coffee stop, we had over 1000 ft of climbing. At mile 34, our tea stop, we had 2400 ft of climbing. By mile 42, it was 3500 ft of climbing. Most of the last 20 miles was descending or flat but we did acquire an additional 1000 ft of climbing in the last 20 miles. This is one for the books, but I still enjoyed it!
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 10:10; end: 18:02; avg:11.3; max: 28; climb: 4833; miles: 66.29; mtd miles:809.34; ytd miles:9750.42  
 CLOUDY; wind: SW 21; start  temp: 68; min: 61; avg: 63; max: 73; end: 61  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3027573370

20-Sep-18      THU
 Radiation ride (from Rye)  
After a day away from Rye, we were back for another ride. The wind was really up for this one - sustained at ride start in the 20s but gusting to over 40 by the time we were 8 miles in and running a crosswind and headwind gauntlet with no cover from hedges or trees. Our first objective was the nuclear power station at Dungeness. As we arrived in that area we struggled against a powerful headwind and crosswind. James was in heaven as he loves trains, especially steam trains. The tourist train, pulled by a miniature steam engine built in 1927 (I think that's right) which took tourists from the nuclear plant tour to other destinations along the route the train traveled, was about to pull out. I think he had been there before but never at the right time to see the train. We had lunch at the cafeteria just outside the gate of the power station. Then we proceeded out to continue the ride, which took us up the coast for a few miles before turning inland. There were several houses we noticed that were painted completely black. Roof, walls - everything solid black. Even the windows appeared to have a mirror tinting film on them. The houses have no eaves either. The angle of the roof transitions directly to vertical walls. Was it that color to absorb heat and keep the houses warmer? That was all I could think of as an explanation. Also, I remarked to James that the area looks like a desert. As it turns out, it officially is the only area in England recognized as a desert! I saw this while looking on the internet for the reason for black houses. No explanation found except for architectural statement! In that article appeared the statement of the region being an officially recognized desert. In any case, we continued up the shore to New Romney. Again, the tide was out and there was little to see of the water from the road. New Romney is where the Rother River used to meet the sea. Centuries ago, violent storms caused the river to change course to where it empties into the sea, today, miles to the west. The Rother River goes through Rye, now. After leaving New Romney, we headed inland and into the first real climbing of the day. Fortunately, the hills helped to block the wind. We made our way west back to Tenterden where we had lunch at the Costa. Then we finished the ride, got in the van, and headed to the Giant's Rest Pub, most of the way back to the cottage, for dinner and beers.  
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 11:04; end: 17:23; avg:13.8; max: 28.4; climb: 1801; miles: 71.21; mtd miles:880.55; ytd miles:9821.63  
 CLOUDY; wind: W 20; start  temp: 68; min: 61; avg: 65; max: 72; end: 63  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3038655361

21-Sep-18      FRI
 East Coastal  
Final ride of the trip! I had mixed emotions - part of me was sad the trip was coming to an end; part was looking forward to being home. The loaned wheel saved my trip. Why was it the best thing to have happened, when it happened that my rear wheel failed? It was the only day we rode where a failure miles from the cottage could result in being rescued almost immediately. It was a day I had immediate access to a loaner wheel. If it had happened on any other day of the trip, especially during the first week, we could have been miles from the cottage most likely with me sitting and waiting for hours for James to return to the van and drive it back to my location. We would have been many miles away from an alternative wheel. If it hadn't happened in the second week it might be that it would have happened the next time I use the bike - next year in Ireland. Any of those scenarios would have been or would be tough to overcome. It happened on the perfect day and at the perfect location. The final ride occurred on the first relatively cold day of the trip. An overnight cold front blew through with heavy rain and very strong, 50+ mph wind and behind it, loads of cold air pushing the balmy air out on a strongly gusting NW wind for much of the day. We were headed east - crossing the "levels" for a few miles on the way to Bexhill (Bexhill-on-sea), on the coast. This is one of the largest cities we have biked through with a population of 41000. It dates to 772 AD. The fierce wind made the ocean look beautiful. This time the tide was in - good news for photos! We had breakfast at a little cafe at the end of the bike trail, north of the city of Bexhill. I'd been there before, years ago. When we left the cafe, we took our time capturing photos of the various sights of the ocean, views of neighboring cities in the clear air, and the tremendous rows of apartments or hotels lining the coast road along the ocean front of Bexhill. Eventually we turned inland, through a tunnel under the main coast road, and up hill for miles. Then we rode along the southern edge of the Weald - a ridge of sandstone hills which includes the Ashdown Forest area miles to the west. We had a bite to eat in Heathfield before returning to the cottage. Heathfield is 16 miles north of the coastal town of Eastborne. Heathfield is the second highest in elevation of any city in Sussex. Taking advantage of that elevation, is the Heathfield transmitting station mast, 135m high, which broadcasts TV and radio signals to East and West Sussex and parts of nearby Kent. From Heathfield, it was mostly downhill back to the cottage. My total stats for the trip are 745 miles and 30465 ft of climbing. In the first week, the flat week, climbing amounted to 29 ft per mile, quite similar to what we see here in the Plano area. In the second week of riding, our climbing was 51 ft per mile. The lowest recorded was the first ride of the trip at 25 ft per mile. The highest recorded was the 9th of 11 rides - the Mad Jack Follies ride at 73 ft per mile.  It wasn't the hilliest trip I'd done but it was right up there among the most pleasant - balmy temperatures, good weather, and new sights. It all sums up to a great trip. Not sure what James can come up with in the future to top or equal all that we've done. I won't soon forget this one!    
 BIKE: Scattante; start time: 09:14; end: 16:28; avg:11.7; max: 28; climb: 3986; miles: 66.46; mtd miles:947.01; ytd miles:9888.09  
 SUNNY; wind: NW 15; start  temp: 54; min: 48; avg: 58; max: 68; end: 55  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3038655373

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print