Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 5:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
St. Patrick's parade marshalling (Read 529 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

St. Patrick's parade marshalling
Mar 9th, 2018, 5:57am

If you would like to help with this, contact Dave at Dave.christilles@gmail.com

The St. Paddy's Day Parade is on March 17th this year. They are looking for several cyclists to ride along with the parade as course marshals. This may not qualify as a 'ride' since the pace will be sub 5MPH for the most part. The route is perhaps 2 miles and will take something over two hours. The riders will cover perhaps 5-6 miles with the back and forth riding they will do.  

Any bike will work for this ride, as long as it can safely cover the 2 mile route of the parade. The Course Marshals will report in to the sign up table at 10:00AM and receive their badges (Which tells the police that they are supposed to be on the course) and the instruction sheet. Last year, the biggest problem I saw was 4 people sitting on the bumper of a firetruck before the start of the parade. I asked them to move to a safer area of the truck.  

The staging area is on Park, a block east of Greenville. There is a former Sams Club parking lot there and the parade stages in that parking lot. The sign up table is also in that lot.

The parade starts at 11:00 and ends around 1:30. There are supposed to be refreshments for the Marshals at the end of the parade.  

Parking is difficult of course, North Park Mall has perhaps the most parking available and it is a very short ride across the bridge on Park to get to the staging area. An option is to ride to the event. I plan to leave the Performance Bike parking lot at 9:00 and head down. I am happy to have people join me. It is about 8-9 miles to get there and I plan to arrive at perhaps 9:45 - this is not a fast ride!

There is room for a couple of dozen people to join in. I will be there and am happy to answer questions for you.

Sincerely,

Dave Christilles

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2018, 1:28pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print